Thread: Scope advice

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Scope advice

Hi Guys

After my first HFT league shoot it become very obvious that a mildot scope is essential. So far I am looking at the Hawke Vantage 3-9x40 AO. I also saw a Nikko Stirling Target Master in the same price range, but due to being new to the addictive world of airgunning, I have no idea how these compare.

I also saw a HAWKE Airmax 3-9x40 but it is close to double the price of the Vantage, is it really worth double the money?

My first scope, Norica, was bought without insight and advise and I do not want to repeat the process of buying the wrong thing again. So any advice will be very much appreciated.

I recently spent the money to have my rifle tuned by Jaco van Lil and my goodness, it was worth it a million times over. After my HW97 has been through JAco's hands it is truly showing it's potential and I want to capatilize on that by matching it with the best scope within my budget (R1500 or a bit this way/that way). Since the rifle produces less recoil now, will that change the scopes that can be compatible?

Looking forward to hear from you guys.

PS: Norica 3-9x40 scope looking for a new home. 30/30 reticle.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

In your scope quest, remember that a scope contributes ~50% to your overall shooting experience.
    I found x9 magnification insufficient to extract the full potential of a HW97. Consider x12 as a minimum.
    The Hawke Vantage series offers good value and a practical, trusted 1/2 Mildot reticle, although new it would double+ your mentioned budget. Consider also Nikko Stirling's offerings and as always, this forum often offers great pre-owned deals.

As in life, except for taxes and labola, you generally get what you pay for.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Will you be using the scope for HFT only? If not, what other disciplines do you take part in and what distances do you shoot, or plan on shooting?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

IIRC HFT rules limit you to a single magnification with a 12x limit. A zoom scope can be used but must be taped or secured at the chosen mag.

Read the rules for any discipline you plan to shoot and pick a scope accordingly.

As others have said, 3-9 magnification does not get the most out of a HW97 unless you have eagle vision. My untuned HW97 has the NS 4-16 x 42 Targetmaster on it with no problems. The Targetmaster has side-focus which is much nicer to use than adjustable objective (AO) and it also has target turrets with resettable zero. Cost was about R1300 new in 2016. It suffers a bit from flare when shooting with the sun anywhere in front and the mildot reticle is a bit thicker than scopes with etched reticles....the dots can obscure small targets if you're holding over instead of dialling for elevation. Overall its very good value but if you get serious with HFT you'll upgrade it eventually. A well tuned HW97 deserves the best glass you can put on it. Mine is untuned and still amazes me.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JXV View Post
    IIRC HFT rules limit you to a single magnification with a 12x limit.
    That would be SFT (Sporter Field Target). HFT has no magnification limit since a high mag scope will not give you an advantage shooting HFT. You are not allowed to adjust anything on your scope during the shoot so a good balance between magnification and depth of field is key. That's why 8x - 10x magnification is so popular in HFT.

OP, If you are buying the scope for HFT primarily then look at something in the 8 - 10x range, 12x max, with an objective of around 44mm or smaller. If you want to stretch the HW97's legs outside of HFT then something like a 4-16, or similar, will also suffice.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Wow, thanks for all the responses

@JXV I fully agree, from what I had to the HW97 was already worlds apart. I didn't think it could get much better, and I was wrong . Also ,the target master sounds very nice

@ Riaan, yes the scope will be 90% HFT. This far I find that 9x allows me to see both far and close targets pretty ok

I will try and get to see both the TArget master and the HAwke before making up my mind. Thanks again for hte advice