Thread: BSA identification

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default BSA identification

Hi

Ive got what i think is a BSA standard number 2. It has a stamp on the side s2129 at first i thought it might be the last number on the first run of these, however i see info now that says s means 1919 or after. I havent been able to find information on the when the serial numbers for the s period represent for what year or month produced etc.

Ultimately it doesnt matter as im not looking to sell it. It is/was my fathers and i have it now for pigeon control. It hasnt been working well for some time so i wanted to find parts to try to fix it. I took it apart today and was able to fine the plunger is worn and one of the two main springs broken. I managed to find parts for it i hope that will work and they are on their way.

Id still be interested in dating it for personal knowledge though.

Thanks for any info given, its not easy finding much on this so far.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Assume you looked at this sticky at the top of the section

Dating a Vintage BSA Airgun Serial Numbers ~ Air Rifle SA Forums

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I did. It was actually how I found this forum and was the most useful thing I found to that point. It’s with that or a similar list that made me think the 2129 was the end of the first run in like 1905 but then the s dates it to 1919-1936 and I was hoping to narrow it down to when in that range or if indeed it was the last of the first run in 1905

being there are date stamps on it with 1906 and 1907 patents I’m guessing it’s an early one in the 1919-1936 but I’d like to narrow it down.
    Thanks.

Marksman

User Info Menu

My guess is that it's probably early 1920 or thereabouts. You can't rely on an exact date without consulting the original factory ledgers because they weren't issued consecutively. It's a nice looking rifle - a lot of them have lost the etching on the cylinder.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    My guess is that it's probably early 1920 or thereabouts. You can't rely on an exact date without consulting the original factory ledgers because they weren't issued consecutively. It's a nice looking rifle - a lot of them have lost the etching on the cylinder.
    How do you go about that?

Strange they weren’t consecutive.... I’m just glad I’ve found some info. I looked a few years ago for a while and gave up.

Thanks re the condition. It’s not had an easy life lol. I’m excited to restore its power and use it again although slightly more gently lol. It used to be a very accurate and effective air gun. As the picture shows we had bastardized a scope to it when I was a youngster lol. hoping the repair of the spring and the leather will restore the kick it once had.

Prof. Jan Itor

User Info Menu

For a charge John Knibbs will consult their ledger archive to determine dating info: BSA Gun Info Dating Service - John Knibbs International Ltd

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks. Iíll check it out. The link didnít work but Iíll dig around there to see what I can find. Thatís the place I got the parts on order from.

Prof. Jan Itor

User Info Menu

Yeah. the Knibbs website has always been a bit flaky. Just enter "dating" into their search bar and it will present the link. The cost is £25.00.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

what is the best way to clean out the build up of grease and debris inside the chamber and springs etc? i figured while i have it appart i might as well clean it all up and relub any of the moving parts. What are acceptable solvents and lubes for re lubing it. Im also wondering if the barrel should be cleaned or not, ive seen some say yes others say no.