Thread: Best Pellet for a S410 Classic

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Best Pellet for a S410 Classic

Good day all,

I was recently given a Air Arms S410 which I'm still getting used to. I got it serviced by Kevin in Jhb and she is shooting very well! I just wanted to ask who has experimented with different pellets and what would you recommend? I'm thinking between JSB 8.44 or the 10.34. It is going to be used mainly for pc and plinking on the farm. I have not chronyed it myself but Kevin said that a 8.44 is traveling around 920fps if I remember correctly. I am very new into the pcp game, more of a center fire shooter so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I would say 920fps is far too much speed. 777fps with 8.4gr is a very good speed for the S400. You will also get a LOT more shots per fill. You can use 8.4 or 10.34, but you will have to see what pellet your rifle likes. Buy a tin of each and test groups at 50m to see what pellets your rifle likes.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marc_21 View Post
    I was recently given an Air Arms S410
    You lucky fish!
    Mine is running near 790fps and it likes JSB 8.44gr, Accupell 7.9gr and (gasp and surprise) the Gamo Pro Magnums.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

My AA S400 puts almost any decent pellet into one-hole groups at 25m.
    AA Field 8.44gr outperforms the rest at 50m.
    The least pellet fuzzy PCP I know.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

920 fps with 8.44 gr pellet is around 16 foot pounds muzzle energy. That's enough to also shoot the 10.34gr JSB Exact Heavy with reasonable speed. It will drop a bit more but has higher BC and may turn out more accurate at longer ranges.

Also, the 8.44 JSBs are available in 4.52 and 4.53 mm. You might find your rifle prefers one over the other. In my case the limited abilities of the shooter has been masking any preference.

Enjoy

Protea FT Team '16/'18
    National FT Champ '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours'15

User Info Menu

Kom ons s so my geweer verkies die Heavies, as jy nie competisie skiet nie loop die heavies bietjie beter met a vinniger spoed, maar dit is ook wat die geweer van hou so Kettie klip AA JSB cometa fx als moet hy toets met verskillende batch no

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

You have to get out and shoot as many types and weights as you can
    Your rifle will show you what it prefers
    My CZ200, which I bought from Henry liked JSB 8.44gr up at JHB, but shoots JSB 10.34gr much better here at the coast
    Good luck in your quest, because believe me it is going to be fun
    Good shooting

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for the advice guys, I asked Kevin to push up the speeds a bit due to the fact that I am going to be using it for PC on the farm (moving down to Ladysmith at the end of the month) Looks like I am going to have to test out a few different pellets. The shooting that I have done at home with the JSB 8.44gr has been amazing, hole in hole accuracy at 25m, I have not tested it out to further distances yet. I will keep you all up to date with the results! What is the general consensus of the Umarex 7.4gr Mosquito pellets? I have played around with them and they seem okay for plinking? I also noticed that they fit into the magazine a lot easier than the JSBs which interested me, will that be because they are more uniform or because of a slightly smaller diameter? Thanks again!