Thread: Pr900w stock redo

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Pr900w stock redo

Good day
    I have decided to re do my spa predator's stock. The idea was to stain it ebony black and then varnish it with a matt varnish. The reason being that the rifle is use for PC in the dead of night, so it needs to be dark and with a good protection layer on it.

I began with the nova paintstripper and the thinners clothes but minimum of the original stain and oils wanted to come of. So I took a chance with the 120 sanding paper and on the pics is the result after the first go. Now that I see the grains and natural wood I almost want to change my mind to do a American walnut stain with a cherry stain to give that dark brown a hint of red and then seal it with some matt nova 17 varnish.
    But my problem now is the deep scratch marks on the stock and the bad machine marks. I'm worried about sanding to much or will the very dark brown of the American walnut stain hide it all.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

In my experience, best would be to sand the scratches out. Because the fibres are broken, they tend to absorb the stain along the damaged fibers. Unless the stain is very dark, it will highlight the scratches. From the photos it looks like the scrathes are not too deep and there is plenty of wood.

If it is just dents and the fibers are not broken, you can try steaming the area. The moisture lets the wood swell and become level again. Steaming normally does not work for scratches.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

If you want it to look good you will have to get rid of all the scratches. Any good looking wood project starts with proper preperation, no stain, sealer or varnish will hide the scratches. Sand the stock with increasingly finer grits of sandpaper down to at least 600/800grit and then finish with your choice of finishing product. A tip - use a sanding block or else the surface will become wavy.
    Last edited by Seahorse; 14-09-18 at 22:43.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thank you for the advice. I dit a bit of the steaming with a damp cloth and iron trick just after the paint stipper and thinners was used to tty and pull out a bit of oil or stuff in the wood. And that sanding block thing is a must, didn't realize it makes such a big difference.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I have continued sanding and it's looking great. 1 or 2 marks are still there but will continue sanding. The wood is very light of color with basically no wood groth rings (cant think of the right word, flamme in die hout). I was thinking of just using boiled linseed oil, but the American walnut stain still is in my head

Marksman

User Info Menu

Rather go for Woodoc than boiled linseed oil. BLO is a sticky mess that needs a lot of coats.
    Woodoc 10 or 50 works for rifle stocks

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Just the other day I was at quenets hunting here in Worcester, and the gun expert showed me a rifle stock with a crack in it and it had to be replaced. The reason being it was varnished when it was made and no maintaince was ever done, the stock dried up inside and cracked over night. He argued that the wood will be in the different weather types every day, being moist or dry, hot or cold, and thus the wood must be able to breathe. He strangely recommended macadamia nut oil food grade.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I finished the stock a while ago. It came out ok. I did damage the checkering and there is some factory tool marks I didnt get out. But all in all a huge learning curve. I ended up using walnut stain and not the mutch darker american walnut and finished it of with boiled linseed oil. The next stock will be my QB79, I just have to get rid of that ugly china look finish that's on the original stock. Yes it was extremely time consuming and needing tons of patience, but I would highly recommend it to someone who has a cheap rifle, for the main reason that afterwords you will believe that your rifle is the best in the world lol. This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Looking good!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Well done. The more you do this kind of thing the more you learn.