Thread: BT65 filling issues and leak

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default BT65 filling issues and leak

So I've noticed every time I fill the cylinder on the rifle, I struggle to pull the probe out the cylinder port... is this normal? Also now its developed a faint leak at the fill port, after I pulled the probe out, how do I fix this? Because now its emptying my cylinder

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Some debris has entered the fill port, be it a piece of fill probe o-ring or a small piece of brass from the fill probe innards left behind during the manufacturing process.

You have to unscrew the tube, depressurize it and unscrew the fill valve side. When the fill valve is out, open up the fill valve by removing the valve retaining nut. You should clearly see the piece of o-ring / brass / debris on the fill valve o-ring. Clean and replace. Replace o-rings if necessary. You might also have to replace the big o-ring on the fill valve part (where it screws into the air-tube.) Hope it makes sense and helps.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Yes that makes sense and will save me time, thanks a lot for the help, much appreciated... 1 question quick, somewhere I heard its bad to let the tube go completely empty, is that a myth?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Some pics of your setup would help us to help you.

The BT65 filling port and gauge looks near identical to my HW100 system. Your filling station should have a small bleed valve that allows you to release the pressure in the filling line before pulling the probe. You must use this bleed valve. If you pull the probe while the filling line is pressurised, the o-rings will be tightly compressed in their sealing grooves. There will be a lot of friction and the o-rings can be damaged when pulling out the fill probe.
    The 2nd problem of the rifle's air tank now leaking; if you are sure it is leaking at the fill port and not elsewhere then you will probably have to disassemble the inlet valve at the filling port and replace the o-ring seals in there.

2 possible causes for this inlet valve leak:
    a) dirt or a fibre/hair could have got in and be affecting the seal.
    b) heat. If you fill too fast the incoming air heats up very quickly as the pressure in the rifle's air tank increases. This heat can apparently be enough to damage the o-ring in the inlet valve. Fast fill8ng can also physically damage the inlet valve. In my HW100 manual it recommends to fill slowly although without giving a recommended time. If you are filling from a 300 bar source it can discharge very rapidly to the lower pressure so it is important to be very slow and careful at this step if you are not using a regulator between the dive cylinder and rifle.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks you actually helped me a lot there, I never knew I must release pressure before pulling the nozzle out the cylinder... thats how the problem started in the first place... I tried fixing it, and it stopped leaking, but next fill it started again... I'll try taking it apart later again though