Thread: Chrony - useful or a luxury?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Chrony - useful or a luxury?

So I was watching YouTube videos of some guy who was tuning air rifles and he couldn't stress enough the importance of a chrony... almost tempting me to buy one, until I saw the price... now I don't mind spending R2500 on something that'll be very useful to me, but I dont wanna spend that kind of money on something I'll maybe use here and there... or does anyone know of something cheaper or someone have a old 1 they dont use and are willing to sell cheaper - around R1500... I'm clueless on the chrony topic so anything on it will be much appreciated

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

All depends on what you want to do.
    Serious competitive shooting, HFT, Bench, FT etc etc, then it is most definitely a positive that you will need one. If nothing else to make sure you legal within power requirements of the discipline, but that striving for the best consistency and accuracy will also play a role.
    If you just enjoying your air rifle/s and doing some plinking, or a bit more serious stuff then having a chrony is more of a luxury (if you can afford one) than a necessity.

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Forgot to mention, this hobby/sport is seriously addictive. We will always try and justify the 'need' for more and more gadgets and goodies, each adding a minimal but diminishing return on your investment (in general) but most would not admit to that. I don't, I've just heard it said somewhere, by someone sometime

Protea FT Team '14/'15/'17
    Ladies World FT Champ '15
    SAFTAA National FT Ladies Champ '13/'14/'15/'16/'17

SAFTAA FT Colours '11/'12/'13
    REP: Daystate America

User Info Menu

In my opinion, a Chrony is an absolute necessity.
    My dad has one back in SA and I never thought Id miss it so much!!
    It has cost me dearly at 3 shoots now so I just ordered a Air Chrony. They are not sold here in the US but shipping is free so Im not bothered.

As Keith said, depends on what you want to do. It might be worth saving a little before buying. Some are cheaper than others and everyone has their prefrance. In my opinion, the Air Chrony is the better buy for now. Its around $300 with everything you can ever want. Including all the cables. I also know the Pro Chrono now comes with a PC link cable or blutooth enabled. Im not sure which.

Good luck on your search

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies, I'm not involved in any competitive shooting so it might not be that much of a necessity to me... but like Keith said, we always justify these kinds of gadgets so I'm probably going to end up buying 1 anyway, sooner or later

Marksman

User Info Menu

As a non competitive weekend plinker, I still use a chrony.
    Something as simple as setting up ballistics chart or profile on Chairgun or like software needs your velocity.
    Regards

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

So to answer your question. As a non competitive shooter a chrony is a useful luxury.

Prof. Jan Itor

User Info Menu

Or more accurately, if you are an unrepentant tinkerer/tuner a chrony is an absolute necessity.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

If you have to strip and rebuild your PCP to replace worn o-rings or the like it often involves disassembly of critical parts such as regulator, hammer mechanism etc (certainly on my HW100 this is the case). Even when you take care to mark the exact position of reg and hammer tension adjusters before disassembly, the velocity will often be a little different after a rebuild. Chrony is very useful for fine-tuning. If you don't tinker with settings then its more of a luxury.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

a Chrony opens a whole new world for you even if just tinkering about.
    Chrony is an absolute must if you reload. Klaar!

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

I would say a chrono is a very useful item to have.

From my perspective as a UK based shooter, I have a legal power limit to stay on the correct side of, so the chrono is essential for that.

If you shoot FT at world shoot level there is also a power limit you would need to comply with so chrono is essential for that.

When servicing air rifles a chrono is extremely useful for showing up problems before hand and checking that everything is working right post servicing.

Overall a very useful device for general checking to ensure everything is working as it should - e.g. finding out if the pellets you are using are giving a consistent velocity, also if you have known pellet that has proved consistent it will give an indication that your rifle is behaving healthily or can show whether a problem is developing.

I would say a chrono is well worth the purchase price.
    Last edited by Dale; 28-09-18 at 09:05.