Thread: Same rifles, different pellets

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Same rifles, different pellets

Good evening gents.

I know this has been discussed many times before and I know how true the next statement is. No two rifles are alike, even if their serial number are 1 digit apart. I've seen and shot quite a few walther rifles, lgv's and lgu's, but most of them all liked jsb pellets, whether it be 7,87's, 8,4ʼs or 10,34's. I've tried all of these many times, but to no avail. My lgv just seems to like H&N ftt 8,64ʼs and barracuda 10,65's equally well, the poi will change though, but the groups are tight. Like I said before, I know this is entirety possible, and happens more often than not, but why though?? What makes a barrel or rifle prefer one brand over another? I know about the differences in the composition of lead from different manufacturers, but I'm thinking it's also the barrel, the harmonics thereof( no two barrels being identical). I also feel that a part, or a small part also lay with the shooter/technique. I'd like to hear your views and about your experiences in the matter, what does your walther like to eat? Do you know why it prefers this over another brand? Anyone is welcome to chime is here as this is common on any and all makes of airguns, pistols too. But I am very interested in the other walther owners have to say??

You've seen me post alot about the walther rifles of late, this all happened when I got a challenger for an apple and a pear here in the forum. I have some very nice rifles, HW97, HW50, TX200hc and a fully tuned D34 meisterschutz Pro compact T06, but they have all taken a back seat to the cheapest gun I now own. Its had a few mods done and now weighs 6kg on the nose. It has become my favorite shooter.

So let's see what you all have to say about this topic and your walther??

Cheers

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

My HW100 has a Walther barrel so assuming that counts?
    Given the limited choice in .20 I have only tried about 4 types of pellets and it shoots way better with JSB than either the H&N Baracuda or FTT. In fact the FTT are awful. Slower out the barrel even though they are lighter and shotgunning all over the target. Maybe a tighter fit in the barrel and they don't like the choke? JSB 13.7g are just rock reliable in that rifle.

My HW97 likes 4.52 and 4.53 JSBs and H&N FTT about equally.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

My LGV Comp Ultra shoots well with most pellets, but best with AA Field 8.44gr and a some batches JSB 8.44gr.
    Definitely it prefers some seating force. Loose fitting pellets are definitely less consistent.

I gave the barrel a light polishing treatment with JSB borepaste.
    Maybe that contributed?

Last edited by kettieklip; 28-09-18 at 20:48.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Well, maybe I need to practice a little bit more, my 25m group looks like your 40m kettie

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by madness View Post
    Well, maybe I need to practice a little bit more, my 25m group looks like your 40m kettie
    Lol ja.... My 25m group also needs work.... More than a little practice.