Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leveling a scope and rifle.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Leveling a scope and rifle.

Evening gents.

I know there are many ways to ensure your cross hairs are in line and true to the bore of your barrel. Level the rifle, hang a plumb line and align the crisshairs being the quickest and easiest way. This works very well on most rifles with a flat spot to use as a reference. Like on a break barrel, the breach block can be used. But what about a rifle without a level reference? Let's say a Tx200 or a HW97? I won't use the stock as a reference or use the scope base because I just don't trust these at all. so what does one do in this case? How did you do it??

Thanks.

Cheers

Marksman

User Info Menu

Spend more money, you will do it

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I use a dovetail mounted spirit level and a plumb line. No need for any flat spots on the action or stock.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I thought of that, but how do you know that the dovetail level is actually at 90 degrees to the bore?

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RiaanduToit View Post
    I use a dovetail mounted spirit level and a plumb line. No need for any flat spots on the action or stock.
    I have NEVER had a dovetail mounted spirit level automatically level itself. It has always taken manipulation and shimming.

You have to find a flat spot somewhere and use that as a reference point - anything else is guesswork, unless you have gunsmithing equipment.

Another way is to make yourself a bore level. It is very accurate (more accurate than guesswork).

Take a brass braizing rod as close to the calibre of your rifle as possible.

Bend it so you have a '90 deg. config, to create a plumb bob- sort of thing. Bend a hook on the end, facing forward, and then hang a heavy object (a sinker) on it to ensure it follows gravity.

Tape something straight and light and thin to extend vertically (a wood skewer or something) so that it acts as a pointer. The longer the hanging arm, the better, but there must be enough rod in the bore for accurate positioning.

Align your rifle and bore plumb with a plumb line some distance away for fine tuning of your reticle once the scope is mounted.

Now...

Find a reference point that is DEAD CENTRE on top of your action, at the rear of the rifle. You can use a vernier and your dovetail to define one if none can be found. Put some tape down and mark with a pen.
    Rotate the rifle until the bore plumb pointer and the reference point is aligned - as well as your plumb line in the distance. This should have your rifle as vertical as it will ever be without a flat spot reference. Secure the rifle in this position. You can now (gently) mount a spirit level using some modelling clay or window putty. Don't use Prestick as this contracts/changes after you think it is in position.

Now mount your scope and align the reticle to the distant plumb line, referencing the mounted spirit level as datum.

Done!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Right on blud! Bit of a lengthy explanation, but it can be done quite quick. Will post when I'm done with a few pics, thanks bud

Protea FT Team '18
    REP: MB 3D Printing Services
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

There's a fairly easy torch trick, not sure how it works but I guess the action must also be level. If projects the cross hairs onto the wall behind the gun where there is a plum line.

On round actionns I use a low scope mount with the top half missing. That's generally a flat spot on good quality scope mounts.

Put the scope mount In under your scope and there's your flat scope, of course scope height ext has to allow for this.

Or do it during mounting, level then gun and clamp it then put scope on and project the cross hairs onto the wall and done

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have not bothered with leveling my rifle at all. I do think that it is something that i suspect probably has some kind of effect on accuracy.

I was under the impression though that regardless of weahter or not the rifle is truly level as long as it is shot everytime from the same position the pellet will the same place. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GateKeeper View Post
    I have not bothered with leveling my rifle at all. I do think that it is something that i suspect probably has some kind of effect on accuracy.

I was under the impression though that regardless of weahter or not the rifle is truly level as long as it is shot everytime from the same position the pellet will the same place. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If the rifle is canted or the scope not properly levelled then you can adjust on the day to achieve accuracy at a specific range but your point of impact will vary sideways at longer and shorter ranges in addition to the normal pellet drop with increasing range.

Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

For all intents and purposes, the amount of trouble you go to is dependent on the precision required of your shooting.

If you are shooting bench or FT, then you must get everything as close to perfect as you can. I am not a bench shooter, but if you consider FT, and the height that the scopes are mounted at, then alignment on the vertical is critical. There is a thread somewhere on this forum that deals with the influence of canting. At longer distances, a degree off can be quite a bad miss.

http://www.arld1.com/images/swfs/imp...scantangle.swf
    Last edited by Bludlust; 01-10-18 at 19:26.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JXV View Post
    If the rifle is canted or the scope not properly levelled then you can adjust on the day to achieve accuracy at a specific range but your point of impact will vary sideways at longer and shorter ranges in addition to the normal pellet drop with increasing range.

Well yes obviously that makes a lot of sense. Don't know why I didn't think about that. Thx for the info and corrections. I dont mind learning....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    For all intents and purposes, the amount of trouble you go to is dependent on the precision required of your shooting.

If you are shooting bench or FT, then you must get everything as close to perfect as you can. I am not a bench shooter, but if you consider FT, and the height that the scopes are mounted at, then alignment on the vertical is critical. There is a thread somewhere on this forum that deals with the influence of canting. At longer distances, a degree off can be quite a bad miss.

http://www.arld1.com/images/swfs/imp...scantangle.swf
    Could this be why I am not really getting any form of consistency when shooting 50m and over and why poi becomes so random?

Sharp Shooter
    Lifetime Forum Sponsor
    ARF Member Of The Year 2018

User Info Menu

In response to the original post...

"I know there are many ways to ensure your cross hairs are in line and true to the bore of your barrel."

You need to use a Laser Bore Sighter. Then check your crosshairs at various distances against the laser dot on the target. If they line up at 10m, 25m and 50m then the crosshair is "in line with the bore".

Using levels and plumb lines is for canting, or to get the crosshair level or 90 degree to horizontal.

Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Could this be why I am not really getting any form of consistency when shooting 50m and over and why poi becomes so random?

Yip.

The best way to stop this is to have a mate like MarkF stand behind you with a large fish, and slap you with it each time you pull off a shot with the spirit level not centred.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    Yip.

The best way to stop this is to have a mate like MarkF stand behind you with a large fish, and slap you with it each time you pull off a shot with the spirit level not centred.
    LOL

Feel kind of stupid for not taking the scope level and canting thing so serious. But if it will make me or the rifle more accurate then it will be a small price to pay to get additional accuracy. Happy to learn...