Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GAMO PCP PUMP question from a newbie

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Default GAMO PCP PUMP question from a newbie

Hi,
    I'm new to airgun and new to the forum.

I picked up Kral puncher breaker from DCSA this morning, its my first PCP which wasn't planned to buy so quick... lol
    now I'm looking for a hand pump, I did some research and I can see everyone recommend Hill pump but I cant find anyone selling.
    so far I find no name pump from pellet-guns.com and gamo pcp pump, anyone have experience with these pumps ?

Thank you

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Why not get a scuba cylinder, much easier on the hamstrings and back and arms...
    Unless you like the work out

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Hi rather get a dive cylinder will cost about the same as a hand pump

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

You are wasting your time with a pump. With a pump you will shoot less and less ans less and then never again.
    Get a used 300bar scuba cylinder with fill station. It will be slightly more expensive, but believe me it is worth the while.

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Best advice

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Two problems with pumps
    1 - lotta hard work. If your rifle likes to be charged to anything above 150 bar it is very hard work ....every 30 to 40 shots.
    2 - air contains humidity which condenses to water when pressurised. This WILL corrode the internals of your rifle over time (lotsa nasty pics on Google). So, you MUST get a pump with a filter and a dryer/dessicator and you must maintain those with fresh chemicals or replacement cartridges regularly.

Scuba air is clean and dry and effortless and probably cheaper in the long run. Bite the bullet......

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Airwolf on the forum is the agent for the Hills pump, I will PM you his number.. There is a reason why I sold the cheap hand pump and upgraded for the Hills, its just that much better and I would highly recommend going the hills way and nothing cheaper. I see you pcp has a 280cc tank. That is a bit big for a pump.I had a SPA M22 that I used with the pump and it was unpleasant, I recon it was 3-4 pumps per shot. BUT with the little SPA Predator and CZ200 it work ok. I presume it in the region of 2 pumps per shot on a sub 12 fpe rifle with a sub 200cc tank. Think of it as exercise and everybody needs exercise LOL. But on a serious note, its not leka pumping a big tank and seeing after 30 shots that you have to pump again in 35 plus degrees. All depends on your budget. I only could afford a Hills and it works for me

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Follow the advice about getting a dive cylinder, much easier and efficient... before I had my dive cylinder (only had the pump) I never picked my pcp up more than 5 times in about 3 weeks... now I need to fill the cylinder once a week

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

What is the price for refills these days? Is it a pop in pop out thing or a drop of and pick up the next day thing to do a refill? What is all the must do's and don'ts with the bulk tank, and inspections and pressure tests and certificates and the cost for all such thing? The reason why I'm asking is because Im also very new to the whole thing and a more detailed comparison between the 2 will be more helpful.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pjdiesel View Post
    What is the price for refills these days? Is it a pop in pop out thing or a drop of and pick up the next day thing to do a refill? What is all the must do's and don'ts with the bulk tank, and inspections and pressure tests and certificates and the cost for all such thing? The reason why I'm asking is because Im also very new to the whole thing and a more detailed comparison between the 2 will be more helpful.

Good question....

Anybody?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Depends where you go - Divetek in jhb fills while you wait. Takes about 15min and costs about R25 to top off to 300bar. Fair bit more to fill from empty.
    Urban dive is a drop and go scenario and they charged me a 100bucks to top off from 180 to 300bar. Took about 4hours. Haven't been back, needless to say. Don't know if that's changed at all.
    So no way to tell what it'll be like near you...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Macros View Post
    Depends where you go - Divetek in jhb fills while you wait. Takes about 15min and costs about R25 to top off to 300bar. Fair bit more to fill from empty.
    Urban dive is a drop and go scenario and they charged me a 100bucks to top off from 180 to 300bar. Took about 4hours. Haven't been back, needless to say. Don't know if that's changed at all.
    So no way to tell what it'll be like near you...

Never actually realized that one wouldnt be emptying the tank completely. R25 a top up is not bad at all.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I pay R50 a refill, and it takes literally a couple of min to refill... it must be visually inspected once a year and hydro once every 3 years (or the other way around) but wherever you fill the bottle will tell u when its necessary to do that (think both tests together cost about R400)... then its literally a matter of inserting the fill probe, opening the valve (slowly) and watching the gun fill, closing the valve, opening the the blow off valve and pulling the probe out (take maybe a minute to complete the whole process)

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

wow thank you for all the comments!
    it makes me think...

pump seems to be a simple solution except that rust and exercise part....
    neway I'm leaning toward tot the cylinder option after reading all the comments.

checked Divetek website, they sell 7L aluminium one cost R 3,170
    ( Luxfer 7.0L Aluminium Cylinder | Divetek | Scuba Store | SHOP NOW )
    then I need to buy valve for the cylinder and fill station I guess in total 4-5k ?

Thank you !

Marksman

User Info Menu

If you have a bit of patience, every now and then a 300 bar cylinder appears on the for sale section. There even were some well priced Carbon Fibre ones available recently.