Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artemis GR1600W

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Artemis GR1600W

Hi, guys! Neighbour bought himself an Artemis GR1600W (nitro piston) in 5.5mm for plinking. He asked me to help him set up the scope. This thing is an absolute mission to cock, the trigger is very heavy, it kicks like a mule and, although I have no idea of speed etc I get the feeling it is running quite hot. Obviously, accuracy suffers and it is a struggle to set up the scope. What can be done to make this rifle more user-friendly and tame it a bit to improve accuracy without going to extremes (or selling it)?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

If like the original Theobens and the HW90 this has a gas ram that can be adjusted, then reducing the pressure would probably help.

If it is a sealed gas strut, then there isn't much that can be done for it other than replacing with a lower pressure strut or substituting a conventional spring and guides set.

Unfortunately many of the cheaper guns seem built to give maximum speed and to hell with any hope of accuracy.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks Dale, taking the purchase price and the general speed craze into consideration I think your last sentence hit the nail on the head!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I have a Artemis SR1000 5.5 gas ram... and its by far the best 5.5 springer/gas ram I've shot with (I've never shot a weirauch though), scope on it is nikko panamax which I've had on for 1000s of shots and it's still accurate... so maybe that gun would be more suited for him than the gr1600... otherwise make sure the back stop of the scope mount is firmly in the hole on the gun (or its actually better to drill a new hole to the exact size of the backstop pin if the original hole is to big... the gas rams recoil is more accommodating for scopes than the recoil a springer has that kills scopes so just get your scope stop in place to prevent the scope from shifting and you should be fine (the speed of the gun shouldn't effect its accuracy because it's very unlikely a gas ram/springer will propel a 5.5mm pellet at supersonic speeds), if it does just get heavier pellets

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kw2112 View Post
    the gas rams recoil is more accommodating for scopes than the recoil a springer has that kills scopes
    No it isn't.

A gas ram is just a substitute for a metal spring, it is not some miracle propulsion system.

It drives a piston to compress the air in the cylinder at the moment of firing and at some point in the cycle you will get the inevitable piston bounce off the compressed air, exactly as with a steel spring.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Would a few hundred pellets through it help to settle it down and maybe get a bit smoother?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Probably not.

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Just my 10c.

The GR1600W is the love child of a Crystal-meth addict and a sabre toothed shark. I had a GS1250 and it went through "air rifle" rated scopes quicker than a tin of pellets at 900fps in 5.5mm guise. The GR1600 is even more juiced up.

If I can make a suggestion and that is to change the power plant either to spring or the setup from an SR1000 which is a much more manageable rifle.

Alternatively, use either the Fibre sights fitted or a diopter sight for plinking. 50m beer cans is well within the rifles ability.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

So I had Hatsan 95 springer, excellent gun, but in the 5 months I had it I went through a Nikko Mountmaster 4x32 and a gamo 3-9x40... so I got the same gun (Hatsan 95) just with the gas ram conversion done to it... 5 or so months later and its still got the Nikko Mountmaster 4-12x50 I mounted the day I got the gun, still as accurate as well... I have the Artemis 5.5 bought a Nikko Panamax 3-9x40 the same day as the gun, for the gun... 7 months later and the scope has never been removed and never disappointed either... compared to a Hatsan 125 springer that broke 2 scopes (another Mountmaster 4x32 and Bushnell 3-9x50 in 1 month)... so call it a miracle or recoil or whatever you want, but I'm certain the gas ram is easier on scopes than spring, because I've seen the results with m own eyes...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

What was the MV of the Hatsan with the spring and what was the MV of the Hatsan with the gasram?
    I think you will find that whoever did the Gasram conversion also downtuned it to a more suitable speed.
    Last edited by Bex; 28-10-18 at 23:20. Reason: Typo

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

The gas ram shot at 800fps and was the springer was never measured by me but when I took it in to the gun shop to check if everything was still ok with the gun he told me its shooting 700-750 fps and... that was about the time I tried the second scope on it

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Exactly what I am trying to point out, 800 fps is usualy what full size springers are tuned to when you want them to shoot well, the Hatsan 95 is advertized as a 1000pfs . It is not replacing the spring with the gasram that stops it from wrecking the scopes, it is tuning it down.
    Search a bit more on tuning springers, there is a lot of info on the forum.
    See the #2 post in the thread below.
    Hatsan Model-95 - worth it? ~ Air Rifle SA Forums

Last edited by Bex; 29-10-18 at 15:21.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

If you are averse to spending the +-R500 to replace the wild Ram with a tamer one or convert to a Spring then the only other way to "detune" a Sealed Nitro Ram is to shorten it's Stroke. To shorten the Stroke you need to physically shorten the Shaft of the Ram. This will result in the Ram not being able to compress fully and thus deliver less force. Please note I am not referring to the Piston Stroke but only the Ram Stroke. Whatever you lop off the Ram Shaft you need to add as Shims to the Inside of the Piston to retain Piston Stroke length. Work in increments of 3 to 5mm till the desired power level is achieved. My 10c

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

But the gas ram was still shooting harder than the springer... I'm not interested in detuning my rifle either... my whole argument was that my gas ram rifles scopes last longer than the scopes on my springers... as I understand it, Spring power rifles have what’s called a double reverse recoil which means when you pull the trigger it jumps in your hands forwads then backwards to your shoulder when the piston ends it’s movement. Gas rams are similar but the nitrogen acts as a cushion and makes it less, still there, but less... that's why scopes last longer on them... correct me if I'm wrong here

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kw2112 View Post
    But the gas ram was still shooting harder than the springer... I'm not interested in detuning my rifle either... my whole argument was that my gas ram rifles scopes last longer than the scopes on my springers... as I understand it, Spring power rifles have what’s called a double reverse recoil which means when you pull the trigger it jumps in your hands forwads then backwards to your shoulder when the piston ends it’s movement. Gas rams are similar but the nitrogen acts as a cushion and makes it less, still there, but less... that's why scopes last longer on them... correct me if I'm wrong here

My reply was to Jakoos "What can be done to make this rifle more user-friendly and tame it a bit to improve accuracy without going to extremes (or selling it)?"

Yes. Scopes last longer on Nitro Rams than on Springers. A proven fact as stated by Tom Gaylord regardless of the oversimplification by some of only piston bounce wrecking scopes. A Nitro Ram does not require the Artillary hold and can be held differently every time and still be accurate. Not so with a Springer. Lots of other things in play. Air Rifles and Gas Pistons : American Airgunner Round Table - YouTube
    I am not averse to Nitro Rams at all. I am just a Springer fan through and through. If you can shoot a Springer consistantly you can shoot anything consistantly.

BTW The Springer action is first back as the front of the spring (piston) flies forward and then forward as the back of the spring follows the front (piston) which then bounces off the air cushion and a simultaneous twist as the spring torque kicks in as the spring unwinds followed by a harmonic ripple (buzz)
    Last edited by Outoppie; 29-10-18 at 21:36.