Thread: Scope Mount - Is this Fixable?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Scope Mount - Is this Fixable?

Hi everyone

Not sure where to start , but found my 5.5 Crosman Nitro Springer starting to shoot all over the place yesterday after grouping nicely most of the morning.
    Could not get it to hold zero, so like a good boertjie just kept plinking away trying to figure out the problem.
    Started to get that unhappy crappy feeling that my scope was at fault but hoped for the best....

Well one I pulled off the Hawk one piece mount I found the center pin on the mount had carved this lovely new crater.
    Upside is that my scope is probably not at fault (touch wood)

So... any suggestions will be welcomed as ponder my next move from here.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Crosman nitro piston will destroy a scope every time

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

What is you current muzle velocity?
    You can try to get a stop bolt that fits deeper into the stop hole on the reciever, but ultimately I think your rifle may need a detune.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Doing 788fps with AA 16gr domed.
    What would you suggest I aim for, shaving another 100fps ?
    What would be best way to achieve?

I am thinking that after damage is fixed, to increase hole size in the receiver and the mount to 6mm and threading it.
    But my gut feel is that might do the trick. Will there be any drawback to adding 2x more stop holes if receiver can accommodate it

I have a love / hate relationship with all my airguns, damn these things are soooo much more complicated than I ever thought, but I so love to tinker and get to grips with them.

Thanks for advice
    Nardus

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Nardus. As you like to tinker and get to grips with your guns, look at this link where I explain a possible method to "Tame" a hot Nitro Piston Artemis GR1600W ~ Air Rifle SA Forums

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Carefully file down the burr on the rifle and consider using some bluing compound to limit future rust there. Then get a longer grub screw that will go all the way to the bottom of that stop hole. Then use blue Loctite on it to prevent it coming loose and climbing out the hole.

Rethreading and / or enlarging the stop bolt holes in the mount and rifle is tricky. The mounts may not take a tap nicely (BTDT).

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Drill a new hole the exact diameter of your stop pin... the tighter it fits the longer it'll last (try do it as far back as your mount - rail will allow) thats my 5c anyway