Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle (Brand) pellets.

REP: Froggy Custom Silencers

User Info Menu

Default Rifle (Brand) pellets.

My local gun shop had no jsb's in stock.
    They gave me a tin of these for free... Only wanted me to do some accuracy testing for them.
    I was very sceptical... Got too many tins of useless pellets.
    I would never have paid for a tin of these... Made in Brazil... Thinking Gamo, Apollo...
    Head size measured 5.49 to 5.51mm..very close to jsb's.
    Quality of manufacturing is similar to H&N baracuda pellets.
    Rifle pellets on the left.

Was very windy today, but did a quick 38m test all 5 shots ... 2 groups on the left with the Rifle pellet.
    I'll do some more testing including velocity later.
    They definitely perform much better than baracudas in my P12.
    Shot these with Sumatra barrel... Will also test with CZ barrel.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Is it an optical illusion or are they actually trying to create a screw-pump/vane effect inside the skirt to produce spin at firing? Maybe for smooth barrels? I would appreciate some feedback on this please Froggy.
    Yes definately a Baracuda-ish shape, very thin skinned and hollow to inside the head? If it is, then even the head could be blown to fit tighter in the barrel. With a very powerful rifle you could even end up shooting a very small thin pipe. Not sure if this would be the case because the colour and shine of the lead indicates slag impurities and is maybe harder?

At any rate, somebody seems to be doing something right to get those groupings. Probably you

User Info Menu

It's a optical illusion.
    Next to Baracuda.
    They use German equipment to make these pellets.
    I don't know how the shape will effect long range accuracy.
    Also curious about BC.
    They hit at about the same poi on the target as jsb's even though they are heavier.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Stating the obvious but same POI for heavier pellet means it has to have less drag because of form and thus be more efficient cutting through the air and thus a higher BC because that is the definition of BC.
    If they perform this well over 38m because of form then theoretically they should perform better than the JSB at longer distance because of the longer period exposed to drag. Note that I said THEORETICALLY
    The Baracuda form was specifically designed to be better than the Diabolo form which JSB uses so your finding will probably prove the theory.
    The difference in form eliminates some of the drag behind the head of the pellet by decreasing the angle as is indicated by your first set of photos. The better and less head-heavy weight distribution also contributes to stability.
    Last edited by Outoppie; 01-11-18 at 11:47.

User Info Menu

I'm not claiming these pellets are better than jsb's, but they are the closest in performance at a maximum distance of 38m I've tested yet.
    Ten shot group with rifle pellets... 38 m... No wind...speed.. 880.. 880...881...882...880...882...887...888...887...88 7...fired one jsb 18 gr 898 fps... About 10 fps difference.

My best 10 shot group with 18 gr jsb's at 38 m ever.

I like them, actually bought 2 different kinds to test.

The super magnum's looks really well made.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Wow!!! Super shooting. Pity about the flyer through the 10c piece But seriously now, that ES is superb in my books. I must have a look at these if they are available in sleepy hollow CT. Those Super Magnums are particularly enticing yes.
    Seeing that you spent money on these I gather that you are also impressed. What price are we talking about so that I can start saving from my meagre pension?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Methinks my Priester might like them heavies as it really likes the 18gr JSB's, where can I source some for testing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DSF View Post
    Methinks my Priester might like them heavies as it really likes the 18gr JSB's, where can I source some for testing?

Pellet Gun
    Just be careful... The super magnums skirt measures 5.82mm...its a very hard lead alloy... Harder than H&N.
    Makes loading very difficult in P12. You will battle with the straight pull bolt on the priest, if they even fit in the mag.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Outoppie View Post
    Wow!!! Super shooting. Pity about the flyer through the 10c piece But seriously now, that ES is superb in my books. I must have a look at these if they are available in sleepy hollow CT. Those Super Magnums are particularly enticing yes.
    Seeing that you spent money on these I gather that you are also impressed. What price are we talking about so that I can start saving from my meagre pension?

I paid about R160 a tin... I alway support the local guys even if its more expensive.
    Super magnums is a definite no for a springer... You'll need a hammer and a punch to load them.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

That price is very reasonable. Really looking forward to the results of your further testing. I have a hammer and a punch

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

My Springer shoots 21.i4gr H&N Baracuda Copper @ Av 780fps. Is there something specific about the 19.9gr Rifle Brand that I am not aware of that would make them difficult to load. I load the 18gr JSB's with ease and they seem to have a similar head size. The Skirt should not be a problem as the breach is shaped to take a larger skirt I would hate to waste money on a tin of pellets that I could only use as a paper weight
    Last edited by Outoppie; 02-11-18 at 10:40.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Outoppie View Post
    My Springer shoots 21.i4gr H&N Baracuda Copper @ Av 780fps. Is there something specific about the 19.9gr Rifle Brand that I am not aware of that would make them difficult to load. I load the 18gr JSB's with ease and they seem to have a similar head size. The Skirt should not be a problem as the breach is shaped to take a larger skirt I would hate to waste money on a tin of pellets that I could only use as a paper weight
    I tested the alloy hardness.... Identical to H&N.
    The issue with only the super magnums is skirt diameter is 5.82mm and thickness is 1.1mm.. Baracuda is 5.7mm and 0.8mm.
    The super magnums (SM) skirt is very difficult to form to the barrel.
    I can't deform the skirt when squeezing it between 2 fingers.
    Picture of Baracuda and SM pushed through CZ barrel. I had to tap the SM into the barrel... Also had to tap the cleaning rod with the back of a screwdriver to get it past the choke.
    Baracuda was easy to push through.
    SM top.

User Info Menu

Some accuracy testing at 38 m... All 5 shots.
    Poi not the same because I used different mill dots.
    The clean punched holes are the destroyer pellets.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    I tested the alloy hardness.... Identical to H&N.
    The issue with only the super magnums is skirt diameter is 5.82mm and thickness is 1.1mm.. Baracuda is 5.7mm and 0.8mm.
    The super magnums (SM) skirt is very difficult to form to the barrel.
    I can't deform the skirt when squeezing it between 2 fingers.
    Picture of Baracuda and SM pushed through CZ barrel. I had to tap the SM into the barrel... Also had to tap the cleaning rod with the back of a screwdriver to get it past the choke.
    Baracuda was easy to push through.
    SM top.
    Thank you very very much for such a definative illustration of exactly why I should not use those then. I do not need another paperweight. Owe you one Froggy

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    Some accuracy testing at 38 m... All 5 shots.
    Poi not the same because I used different mill dots.
    The clean punched holes are the destroyer pellets.
    Great shooting. I would love to see the results of the showdown between the Rifle's and the JSB's over long distance