Thread: Advice to a newby

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Advice to a newby

Hey guys

In short I bought myself a Nova Vista Alpha PCP, which I absolutely love!! I have mounted a budget scope, being the Discovery 4x16 (think it's the VT-Z) which seems to do the job fairly well. The rifle is more accurate than I am, and with the 300bar cylinder I reckon about 90-100 shots should be possible on High Power before you start going under the desired pressure.

My main aim for the rifle is fun target shooting, possibly at some distance, and where necessary and applicable some pestcontrol on the farm.

Now for a couple of questions for the guys with some more experience than I do:
    • I currently have JSB Jumbo express (14.35gr) and and Jumbo Heavy (18.13gr), currently the Heavy is untested, Should I consider any other ammo?
    • A bipod is next on my shopping list, is there a difference between a cheapy and a R1000+ bipod? Other than both being collapsable and fairly lightweight.
    • When considering buying a dive cylinder, is it worth going for the carbon fibre cylinder or not really? How often do you shoot more than 90 shots in the veld?

Do you have any other advice or warning that I should consider?

Here she is:

Grouping of 3 shots at 20m:

Grouping at 30m, 3 shots:

PS. In the long run I am considering to sand down the stock, remove the cheekpiece/rest on the right and to stain the stock a nice deep mahogany.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Now for a couple of questions for the guys with some more experience than I do:

• I currently have JSB Jumbo express (14.35gr) and and Jumbo Heavy (18.13gr), currently the Heavy is untested, Should I consider any other ammo?

If you are getting good groupings, stick with what you have. When you get bored, go and experiment. Until then, save your money.

• A bipod is next on my shopping list, is there a difference between a cheapy and a R1000+ bipod? Other than both being collapsable and fairly lightweight.

An expensive bipod on a budget gun makes no sense. They all do the same job, at the end of the day. Unless you are a sniper, then a cheap bipod is more than sufficient. Go for the shorter, but extendable bipod... the long ones are normally uncomfortable even at their lowest setting. An Atlas copy can be bought at a good price from Cor (if he has stock). UTG also make a VERY good bipod at a reasonable price. I think Rashaad has stock? I see you have a swivel stud. The UTG comes with the fittings to attach. If you need a swivel stud mount, I have one that I will NEVER use, which you can have for .25 Zim Dollars.

• When considering buying a dive cylinder, is it worth going for the carbon fibre cylinder or not really? How often do you shoot more than 90 shots in the veld?

If you have the money, invest is a carbon cylinder. If not, stick to steel or allu. No real benefit to a carbon cylinder other than if you are a 45kg pansy who can't lift a beermug without rupturing something. A 7l 300 bar is easy to handle. What you must do is invest in a nice fill station. Rashaad sells a good one that comes standard with a foster coupling.
    Last edited by Bludlust; 13-11-18 at 09:27.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanx for the info Bludlust!!

Will go do some googlefu and see what I can find ito bipods for sale.

As for the names you mentioned, I assume they are members here? Could you possibly advise whether they have shops or is it a matter of contacting them directly via PM and just asking?

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Letum View Post
    Thanx for the info Bludlust!!

Will go do some googlefu and see what I can find ito bipods for sale.

As for the names you mentioned, I assume they are members here? Could you possibly advise whether they have shops or is it a matter of contacting them directly via PM and just asking?
    Rashaad = Outdoor pitstop or Spitball Paintstop on the forum

Cor = Cor.

PM them

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Letum View Post
    When considering buying a dive cylinder, is it worth going for the carbon fibre cylinder or not really? How often do you shoot more than 90 shots in the veld?
    One thing worth bearing in mind with the carbon fibre cylinders is whilst they are light in weight, they are not as sturdy as a steel cylinder.

By this I mean if a carbon fibre cylinder gets scratched or gouged it is scrap, steel is far more resilient, what would just scratch the paint on a steel cylinder could write off a carbon fibre item.

Personally I would have a steel cylinder over either alloy or carbon fibre.

REP: Outdoor Pitstop
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    Rashaad = Outdoor pitstop or Spitball Paintstop on the forum

Cor = Cor.

PM them

Haha, btw i do have a spitball blaster instock. Gun shape paper shooter