Thread: co2 or pcp

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Default co2 or pcp

I have never shot with a co2 rifle and was wondering if it is anything like a pcp, or is it like driving a fibreglass kit car compared to an original Porsche or Cobra?
    1. Do people shoot Ft with co2 rifles or is it only used for plinking.
    2. I see that Farmer owns two and in his reviews he says that the QB 78/79 is very accurate. Is this not a good substitute for a pcp if one does not have the ready cash to fork out 5k to 20K for a very accurate rifle with extras.
    3. The co2 canisters that are used: is it those small silver ones or is it the soda stream type or something totally different. Please don?t laugh because I have never seen a co2 rifle from up close.
    4. What does a refill cost and how many shots can you shoot with a canister.
    5. What is the ft/sec speed and at how far is it still accurate?
    6. One last thought or question, what would be the best co2 rifle to buy and how much does it cost?

Now if there is somebody with nothing to do and knows a lot about co2 rifles, let us know all there is to know about co2.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Most posts I have seen from people with CO2 is that they almost always end up buying a PCP. AFAIK 1 or 2 people have shot FT with CO2.

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2006/...an-160167.html

http://airgunartisans.com/Crosman_Qb.htm
    Last edited by huffnpuff; 21-07-08 at 19:31.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

The qb78/79 are very nice rifles but they are not in the power range of the PCP's. They are accurate but not for long distance shooting. I would not shoot an untuned qb79 past 25/30m. 600/650fps only carries you so far. I'd buy the qb79 to use a refillable canister. It costs R9 here by me to fill it for 400+ shots.

But they are great value for money. I hope they are for sale again soon but by all accounts it will probably be a while again.
    Last edited by knormoer; 19-07-08 at 21:42.

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15

User Info Menu

My QB79 was tuned by Warrick and it shoots close to 12 ft/lb and is accurate. Yes it is value for money. R700 plus the tune, plus extra cannister. Total cost R1100.

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

Unfortunately you can't get them for that price anymore.
    If you are lucky enough to get a shop with old stock, you can pick em up for that price, but the price almost doubled in the last year, but on the other side, the new stocks are much nicer than the old ones.

A tuned CO2 rifle is more useful for target shooting than a springer of similar value. However, it is not a competition grade PCP. That said, I still stick by my original story... the QB78/79 is the best rifle for the money and the best backyard plinker ever.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I agree with Farmer on that one, I had a Norica Krono for shooting in the back yard and for assassinating pests. It was ok, but I still was looking for something better, more accurate. As soon as I got an opportunity to get a QB79, I did. I ended up buying 30-06 Qb79 (JTK tuned). And its like heaven for me now. I get 150+- shots per fill, and have an Extra cannister (R9 per fill at "Dye hard paintball". Works great.

I don't think I will go and shoot FT, wont be able to shoot that far accurate. Got the Geco pellets by Farmer, and the are awsome at 20m. Spot on.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Markus, glad to see you're happy with the QB79. JTK did a A+ job on the "tuning" Chronied @ 750fps +- with JSB 8.44gr