Thread: Phonebook as a pellet trap

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Phonebook as a pellet trap

Is it safe to use a phonebook as the backstop for shooting at paper targets?
    If it's ok, can the target be stuck directly onto the phonebook or should there be a gap?
    How thick should the phonebook be?
    Is office paper usable instead of a phonebook? What about newspaper? Does the type of paper make a difference?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I fill a cardboard box with paper and use it as pellet trap. Works very well. I used a phone book and newspaper in the same way before but you shoot through it pretty quickly. One phone book won't be enough for prolonged shooting. Even two didn't last, especially if you are putting pellet on pellet, then it goes through very quickly. My current pellet trap is A4 paper stacked about 40cm deep inside a cardboard box. I have been using that for a about 2 months now and it still hasn't come close to to going through. I do open the box from time to time to remove excess lead as the lead starts to build up and then creates a bulge in the front of the pellet trap.

Keep in mind I only shoot sub 12fpe air rifles. Not sure how it will hold up against anything more powerful.

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

What works well in my opinion is to fill a box of your desired size, with old clothes, rags, material etc etc.
    If you really stuff the material in before you start, you can get a lot of use out of the box.
    I just stick a new front section of new cardboard onto the front when it becomes too holey.
    As Riaan mentioned, if you are stacking plenty pellets through the same hole, they will eventually get through.
    If your box is not too big, you can also put a plank or 2 behind it, just as extra. Any pellets getting through the box should have minimal energy left and you could possibly hear them stricking the planks and then you know your box needs attention

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Use a tree stump that's been cut into pieces, I get ones here that are the perfect size for a A4 paper, and you'll never shoot through it... Think they R150ea if I'm not mistaken

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Fully agree with KeithT here.

Box stuffed with old, cut up jeans and blankets works best.

Sharp Shooter
    Lifetime Forum Sponsor
    ARF Member Of The Year 2018

User Info Menu

+1
    the ultimate "silent pellet trap"....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Try filling the box with cotton waste. Available from G. Fox. A bail is under R500.
    Stops a 500Gr arrow at 280 fps dead in mere inches.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Basically a whole box of paper (5 500 sheet packets). It's rather tempting to just use a new full box "as is" but that could get a bit expensive.
    Collecting 500 sheets of scrap office paper that has not been torn or scrunched up would take rather long in my environment.

A box full of rags seems quite sensible, and cheap too! I can add old socks, towels, etc as they wear out.

BTW my application is 10m pistol shooting using an Artemis CP1 in 4.5mm, so it's not particularly high velocity.
    Last edited by Dodger67; 26-11-18 at 15:56. Reason: Fix a typo

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

As Keith said, a box with old clothes works the best.

Protea FT Team '14/'15/'17
    Ladies World FT Champ '15
    SAFTAA National FT Ladies Champ '13/'14/'15/'16/'17

SAFTAA FT Colours '11/'12/'13
    REP: Daystate America

User Info Menu

As Keith said with old rags is the best. I even shoot into that inside the house because the pellets get trapped inside and it is very quiet. Best Pellet trap thus far.

If you can't find material, you can temporarily try some plastic bit you really have to squash it in there.