Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most powerful legal-to-own air rifle in SA?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Most powerful legal-to-own air rifle in SA?

Hi All,

I am making a comeback into air rifles and have a HW50s witch i bought from MZE about 7 years ago - I see the forum is called MZE memorial forum now... I'm sad he's gone.

I was absolutely dumbfounded when yesterday I read about a 45cal air rifle at 3000psi shooting as hard as a 45 colt handgun! - needless to say i'm very curious now how far air rifles have progressed in the last 7 years and also where the SA law now stands regarding them.

The question is: what is the most powerful air rifle one can legally own without having a gun licence? - I don't mind if it needs to be imported/hand built or modded. - a off-the shelf gun is easier for a noob like me tho.

Please help get me back up to speed with my air rifle knowledge.

Thanks lady's and gents

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Just out of curiosity I'll leave the link to my origenal tread here..... wow this brings back memories

HW50s arrival ~ Air Rifle SA Forums

I was a student back then and saved for months to afford the HW50s.... not anymore so dont worry about budget when replying haha

cheers

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Based on what I've seen and heard, I'd probably say the airforce condor 5.5mm? I've been told they shoot 21grain pellets over 1100fps (I'm sure thats close to 60fpe) out the box, so there's still room to crank it up more if you feel the need to ( it's just what I've heard though, so it would be nice if someone with first hand experience with a condor can shed some light on the topic for us)

Prof. Jan Itor

User Info Menu

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies guys.

So I gathered that in this country 5.5mm is the max caliber legally allowed without a licence?

The Airforce condor does indeed seem popular on this forum but that does look like some complex mods to get the most out of it... seems by the time you're done tuning it half the gun is not original anymore.

Any thoughts on the Sumatra? I know its a shotgun looking thing but it comes with a magazine witch is nice and it seems a time ago it claimed to be the worlds strongest air rifle? - can you fit a scope to it? (would probably look silly tho).

I currently reside in Port Elizabeth. Is there a shop that stocks these level air rifles to I can go have a gander?

Thanks

Marksman

User Info Menu

I have a Sumatra (carbine) with a upgraded hammer spring and valve which I got from African Air Ordnance I use 42 grain slugs which I got from the same website. I really enjoy the gun. It is acurrate enough for what I use it for and it has lots of power. I get about 6 full power shots (one magazine)

Get the Sumatra 500 and do the upgrades. You will have the most powerful license free multishot airgun in SA.
    Last edited by Nobjockey; 08-12-18 at 07:55.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Some of the Daytstate 5.5mm air rangers are 60 f/lbs but you need heavy pellets I want one

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I have a Daystate hp 60fpe wolverine, l love it, it shoots the new redesigned 25gr jsbs extremely well up to 100m and the 23gr NSA slugs,I get about 25 full power shots from 240bar to 150bar out the 300cc air supply, so it's very efficient with air just can shoot it everyday where I live that's the only reason it's also up for sale, hope this info helps you about the Daystate option Seadog
    Last edited by dscharnick; 09-12-18 at 15:39.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

hey there. Thanks for the reply.

Did you do the upgrade yourself? - Are there any ill effect of this upgrade?(besides being super air hungry i'm guessing) The stock Sumatra should be 80 FPE out the box... any stats on the upgrade?

Thanks

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Seems we have a winner... the Huben K1 mk2! So... where do i get one?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Jaco at Extreme Airguns

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Just buy a swage kit as well.............

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ballistic View Post
    Jaco at Extreme Airguns
    Yes, best place to buy

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ballistic View Post
    Jaco at Extreme Airguns
    Thanks for the suggestion sir.

Is this the Jaco WP i keep hearing about?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AYOBA! View Post
    Just buy a swage kit as well.............
    Thanks I will definitely be making my own ammo. These rifles are meant to shoot slugs apparently. What swagging kit do you suggest?

There is a mold that comes highly recommended by Gregor on youtube: 5,52 mm air rifle pellet - 8 cav. mold

Apparently the 5.52mm slugs are the best for the mk2 barrel since its chocked.