Thread: At wits end!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default At wits end!

So I bought a LGV challenger a while ago off the group. Was quite chuffed to have one and add it to the German collection. But that's where the niceness sorta ended. I bought a mze trigger, removed the plastic front sight, added a custom aluminium clocking aid, Lourens replaced the 20j spring with a genuine walther 12fpe one and I weighed down the stock. Now it was done and I was sure this thing would be doing 20mm groups(and probably less) rested at 25m. What in fact actually happened was, when I started shooting, the first 10 or so short fell perfect(literally 10-15mm), thereafter, the groups would open up. The best it and I can do is around 30-35mm group at that distance. Now I've shot the same rifle owned by various members at our club and have gotten my standard 20mm groups, hell I've done this with many many rifles and gotten much smaller groups in good days, even my now heavily modded D34 can do it. I've tried different pellets(many), different holds and stances waited a few minutes between shots and its always the same every time. Could it really be that 3 out of 4 of the same rifles can shoot so well and one be so demanding?? Is there other factors at play here? Oh and just so by the way, the rifle performed a bit worse before the moddling took place, hence me doing the mods in the first place. I've checked all seals, the barrel crown and all bolts and screws, all is good there. I'm dumb struck, this is probably my favourite rifle, yes even over my TX and 97! But it just does not perform like its German counterparts. Ek wil somer huil, help aseblief ouens, wat gaan heir aan???
    Last edited by madness; 08-12-18 at 07:29.

Sharp Shooter
    Lifetime Forum Sponsor
    ARF Member Of The Year 2018

User Info Menu

I presume you have chronied it and speed is consistent.
    If so...then check the following.

Screws...Scope....Pellets...Barrel lock when closed...Barrel and Crown...shooter...

it will be one of them...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I have chronied it and it's consistent. All has been checked, there is however, an extremely small amount of up and down play at the tip of the barrel when locked closed. It's literally 0.3-0.5mm. If this is a big issue, wouldn't it show vertical stringing rather than a round open group? Also, how does one fix this issue?? Who can fix it?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

0.5mm of play over the (assumed) 400mm barrel length of your Challenger amounts to just over 4 minutes of angle and this projects to about 30mm of uncertainty at 25m range. If the barrel pivot is good then yes, I'd expect vertical stringing due to the free play in the barrel lock but a springer's shot cycle is dynamically complex. Maybe there's a reason why it spreads evenly. You have to sort the barrel lock issue anyway so may as well start there....

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

OK right, now we getting somewhere! Who can sort out the barrel lock up issue?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Eish Madness, I feel for you - went through that love - hate relationship with my LGV.

Something else to consider - have you checked that the spring ends are 90 degrees to the spring? When you put the spring down on either end it must stand (assuming that the surface is flat and horizaontal). If the spring keeps on toppling over in the same direction, the end is not 90 degree to the vertical side. In one of the many discussion on spring air rifles I read that when the spring is released, there is a rotating movement. A skew spring end will impact on consistent spring rotation and result in poi stringing.

Good luck in sorting out your LGV. Let us know how you sovle this challenge.

AirMax

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Good evening all,

I recently got back into airguns, and haven’t posted in quite a while. Nonetheless, below is my contribution to your conundrum.

I acquired a LGV Competition Ultra in .177, second hand. This was obtained after a short stint with a gas-ram - my first air rifle post leave of absence. Long story short, it did not perform according to expectations, and after some research I jumped on the opportunity to obtain the LGV.

The rifle was practically unused, bar some slight cosmetic damage. I thought of the purchase as a project gun - allowing me the opportunity to play with different pellet weights and head diameters, springs etc.

Essentially, enjoying what I believe to be the crux of our hobby, experimentation with ballistics/compressible air physics on a manageable scale.

I’m no tinkerer (don’t have all the tools yet, nor the experience), myself being more of a theorectical “applicationist”. The people from Xtreme Airguns in Centurion, Pretoria have always been extremely accommodating and helpful. They would be a great choice to assit with any service/maintenance of your LGV

More recently Kevin from Airvolution assisted with a new custom silencer. Whilst there, he also gave the rifle a going over, and assisted with some tweaks to the firing cycle - following a definitive “bud, something is funky with how it behaves”.

With 8.44 4.52 JSB’s (unsorted, both for weight and head diameter) I achieved a 100 shot string with 9 fps extreme spread, and 1 fps standard deviation.

I have pictures, if it seems unbelievable.

Regards,
    Ben.
    Last edited by BigB; 14-12-18 at 18:52.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with a well-tuned springer.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

So I took the LGV out to the range yesterday. It performed flawlessly. There was nothing wrong with the rifle, it was me the whole time!! I shot a 20mm 5 hole group @ +-25m in the wind..... So yes, I are a very happy chappy!!

Oh and don't ask what is was causing the frustration, I ain't telling anyone!!! It was a bit of a moment... I will however say, with this realisation, I'll be shooting a lot better with all my other rifles too!!

Cheers
    Last edited by madness; 23-12-18 at 08:35.