Thread: What PCP, limited budget

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default What PCP, limited budget

HI All.

Been looking at some PCP rifles on web sites and have the following questions:
    I am wanting to use the PCP for PC. Distances are between 25 to 50 meters
    1. Which calibre is better between.177 and 5.5mm
    2. FPS capacity (I have read that unto 900fps provides good stability and accuracy)
    3. Capacity of pneumatic cylinder 250cc or 300cc (Don't want o have to recharge in the field)
    4. Dive cylinder or electric pump or foot pump
    5. Gamos, Air Arms, CZ, Daystate, not sure which brands are best supported for service / upgrades etc
    6. Price, I don't want o be penny wise and pound foolish ?

Thanks in advance for the information and advice.
    I am looking at second hand PCP as off the bat I cannot afford a brand new one.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

And what is your budget?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

My advise is if funds are limited buy a good name brand gun second hand there are some bargains here

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

If there is nothing you fancy in the 2nd hand classifieds, I would suggest saving a little longer. Something might still pop up or you might have enough for something of a better quality.

Also take a look at the Nova brand, I've heard good things concerning shot Cound, accuracy, having good triggers and such. They retail for around 6-7k mark new depending on the model.

Cheers

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDriver View Post
    HI All.

Been looking at some PCP rifles on web sites and have the following questions:
    I am wanting to use the PCP for PC. Distances are between 25 to 50 meters
    1. Which calibre is better between.177 and 5.5mm
    2. FPS capacity (I have read that unto 900fps provides good stability and accuracy)
    3. Capacity of pneumatic cylinder 250cc or 300cc (Don't want o have to recharge in the field)
    4. Dive cylinder or electric pump or foot pump
    5. Gamos, Air Arms, CZ, Daystate, not sure which brands are best supported for service / upgrades etc
    6. Price, I don't want o be penny wise and pound foolish ?

Thanks in advance for the information and advice.
    I am looking at second hand PCP as off the bat I cannot afford a brand new one.

1. 4.5.... far more versatile. Don't get hung up on 'power' and 'hitting power' and 'penetration' and 'long range' - stick to a precisely-places shot at around 30-40m for a guaranteed result.
    2. stick to around the 780-800 fps mark with 8.44gr. Accuracy over energy every minute of the day, every day of the year.
    3. Catch 22, based on your point 6. CZ (Hunter) at around 780 will deliver around 40 sweet spot shots (or more). If you need more than that 'in the field', you are either a crap shot, or you are a plinker - which means you should rather sit in one spot and have an air tank next to you, and not go out into any field.
    4. Dive cylinder all the way. Follow the majority.
    5. Air Arms and CZ may/will fall into a reasonable price range when it comes to your point 6.
    6. Don't buy a crap gun...fullstop. Many times - the cheaper brands tend to need more work than it's worth, and end up costing you more in the long run in order to have a precise shooter. You may also get lucky, however, and get a cheap gun that is not a bit of a lemon...it's always a gamble. Rather start with AA and CZ secondhand, then move away should nothing rear its beautiful, accurate, well-made head.