Thread: Question on Marcool 6-24x50 FFP 1/8 Moa per click scope.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Question on Marcool 6-24x50 FFP 1/8 Moa per click scope.

I own this scope booklet does not help me.Turret says 1/8 Moa per click.The reticle looks like the pic.Is this a MOA Turret with MILRAD reticle ?1 MOA is 1 shooters inch at 100 yards and 1 Milrad at 100 yards is 3.6 inch?
    When I do holdover will I then work with the MILRADS,so 1/2 milrad on the reticle is 1,8 inch at 100 yards and at 200 yards 1/2 Milrad is 3,6 inches movement?Am I on the right track ?Or confused?What does the numbers do on the reticle?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

The numbers are for rangefinding. See attached pic on how it works. Once you have a target's approximate height, it is easy to calculate the target distance.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Yes a lot of scopes still have MOA turrets with mildot (milliradian) reticles. Dunno what they were thinking....it's obviously dumb. Your conversions seem correct at 1st glance but remember that unless using a FFP scope, you must also compensate for the magnification if shooting at a different mag from that calibrated to the mildot scale (normally 10x) but on your FFP scope you can ignore this. Also, even then, on some reticles the mildots are not exact at the stated magnification so you may find you have to calibrate this too.

At 100m with your FFP scope at any magnification, 10cm should be exactly 1 mildot. At the same 100m, 1 moa is exactly 29mm.
    Last edited by JXV; 10-12-18 at 20:56.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Did not intend to thank myself for a ‘ good post’- just a Thankyou for valuable info ,apologies.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for that !

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I managed to get this explanation after hours searching,does it make any sense to you.It seems the formulas are unique to a specific scope,this guy tries to explain but I dont get it ,can you help maybe.Lets say it was a dove of 25cm height at the 100 mark,how far would it be from me?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

The Marcool you have has a different "constant" than the example Discovery scope rangefinding reticle I posted. As JVX stated, 1 Mildot is 10cm at 100m (or around there) and on your reticle the "100" rangefinding value seemingly corresponds with around 4.5 mildots width.

The same formula can be used i.e. Distance = (H/45) x H1 but "H" needs to be substituted with the width (W) as your rangefinding reticle looks at width rather than height. Thus Distance = (W/45) x W1 in your case.

Assuming thus a "dove type target" "width" (W) of 25cm and your rangefinding distance measurement is "100" (W1) it equates to D = (25/45 x 100) = 55.6m.

Another example is assuming you measure the width as "150" throught the reticle than Distance = (25/45) x 150 = 83.3m.

To make it more simpler in the field and assuming you will be using it for "dove" sized targets I would assume an average width of 22.5cm (i.e. the "dove" type target is sitting 90 degrees perpendicular to you and it's width is around 22.5cm).

In that case assuming you measure 75 through the scope, then distance would be (22.5/45) x 75 =37.5m i.e. half of the rangefinder's distance measurement is the actual measurement.

Hope that helps.