Thread: South african gun law

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default South african gun law

So i had a duscussion with a guy today that was telling me that one of these days you will have to have a licence for a pcp rifle. What do you guys think the posibilaty is?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

There are always going to be rumours and gossip going around on issues such as this so don't be quick to accept anything as gospel.

On the flip side I would say that if the obsession with high power airguns continues and there are incidents with them combined with a lack of caution on what is placed on social media then the possibility of such an outcome could become a reality.
    Last edited by Dale; 02-01-19 at 17:22.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

better start hoarding those modded Sumatra's then

Then again, a proper long bow outdoes a 5.5 cal air-rifle anyway in FPE.

I would still find it surprising since at first 5.5mm airguns required licences til recently correct? - so why go back?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Incorrect, by the letter of the FCA 5.5mm air rifles were exempted from licence as the law states 5.6mm.

Why go back?

Well it might not happen, but never underestimate the thought processes of politicians.

To them airguns were probably thought to be relatively inoffensive devices, generally low power spring guns. It is unlikely they would have foreseen the developments in airgun technology to the various higher power items we see around today.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Don't be too complacent, guys. The Scottish National Assembly have compelled all airgun owners in Scotland to register as owners and pay a license fee. It seems to the English that the money this generated has been enough to make Parliament once again consider licensing in spite of the very, very few incidents of airgun mis-use in this country. They can't get it into their heads that people who would buy a license are not the people they need worry about. If your government can see a quick, cheap way of making money from you by instituting a licensing requirement they will consider it an option.