Thread: Regulator Build

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Well done!
    Thanks for the update.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Really interesting project, thanks for sharing.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Hi Ryno,

Firstly, a very informative post and amazing workmanship.
    I would like to regulate my 5.5 mm predator too, i have a lathe but i am not sure i have the skills to do what you have done and might only get it right on the fith try if ever The cost of having the work done is nearly 60% of the rifles purchasing price and i am not sure if it would be worth it because i believe the barrel is too short for really getting the best out of this rifle after spending so much to regulate it. That means getting another longer barrel and then the cost of everything would be too much for this rifle, i could have bought a much better rifle for the same price.
    By doing the reg yourself you did not break the bank on the rifle and you stay happy with what you have

If you could answer a couple questions regarding regulating the rifle i would really appreciate it.

1.Do you need to drill the reservoir, i see some regs need a 'breather' hole.
    2.Can the regulator be fitted before the pressure guage so that the guage shows the regulated pressure.
    3.Would the shot count be that much less if the reg is fitted as above
    4.What is your shot count
    5.Would the rifle still be as accurate set at a higher fpe, even if i get 15 good shots it would be better than having 30 shots starting from 800fps and dropping to 600fps
    6.What would the approximate cost be of doing it myself and where did you source the springs?, i do not mind time spent on making the parts as that is sometimes more rewording than the actual shooting of the rifles.

Thank you in advance
    Danie

Marksman

User Info Menu

Good day Danie, thanks for your interest in the post!
    First of all if I were you I would take a shot at it. I did mine on a CNC lathe but there is not one operation on the regulator that can not be done on a manual lathe.
    1:I did drill the reservoir on my rifle. It is however not necessary, if you can cut a face groove and find the appropriate o-ring the breather hole drilled is not necessary. The air will go out around the pressure gauge.
    2: yes the gauge in this instance must be fitted before the gauge block in order to get the appropriate plenum volume. So on my rifle the gauge shows regulated pressure.
    4. Not at all, the regulator consumes 8cc of air volume which is 8% of cylinder but the savings is enormous. I get about 30-35shots per fill at the moment with my heavy hammer.
    on a vibrational analysis of a shot you can see there is a lot of hammer bounce still.
    5. My gun did shoot really well in the 850-870 range , I believe it depends on the specific rifle. I set mine to 770 for FT purposes.
    6. Total cost in material would be less than R100 depending on where you source the spring.
    I got mine from Pretoria spring sales.
    If you are interested I can send you a spring.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks for your quick reply. I have sent you a pm