Thread: 5.5mm slug availability in South Africa

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default 5.5mm slug availability in South Africa

Hi Gents,

I am looking to buy a molding kit for 5.5mm slugs to start casting my own rounds for my Huben K1. As far as I know the MP moulds design(assisted by Gregor on youtube) is extremely successful with the huben K1: 5,52 mm air rifle pellet - 8 cav. mold

That site has said that its "out of stock" for a while now...

Does anyone use any locally made molds or swagging kits for 5.5mm slugs with a huben K1 or any other high power PCP with any success? - If so I would love to hear about it please.

Thanks Guys.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Try African Air Ordinance. They have 34g 40g and 50grain slugs. Cell 0791598407

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks Crab,

Yes I saw those slugs but on the huben K1 owners thread they said they dont group very well.

I'm wondering... I dont know much about firearms but...

Is it legal for me to go to a gunshop and purchase 22LR bullets? - just the bullets themselves, not the shells or the gunpowder. - Shurely there must be a 22LR bullet thats around 5.52mm OD with a 11mm lenth at around 34-40grains out there??

On second thought 0.22" = 5.588mm.... so I guess I cant use a off the shelf bullet... perhaps if I get a sizing dye? ;p
    Last edited by Barron; 23-01-19 at 11:08. Reason: Adding info:

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

To the best of my knowledge there is no source for .22LR bullets.

As it is a rimfire round and not reloadable there is no source of components as you would find for a reloadable centrefire cartridge.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I've got about 50 .22 lr bullets not ammo you can have

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Rashad has some 28 grain slugs in stock- I tried them on my Airwolf but I dont think 40 lbs is enough to spin them up- think they were about R60 for a small tin

Marksman

User Info Menu

Talk to Airgunnut...

Some interesting options are available. A little bird told me their might be some NSA in stock, as well as some locally manufactured options very soon.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi
    Was wondering if you had considered looking at a bought slug?

Rabbit Magnum II .22 cal. » H&N Air Gun Pellets (Hunting)

I have tried the 31gr Grizzly in my RTI Priest in .25 calibre, the hit hard and group quite well. Unfortunatly there are no Grizzlies in 5.5mm

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

You could ask RH Gunsmith in PE to turn them for you, but he will not turn lead. Brass or copper only

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
    Rashad has some 28 grain slugs in stock- I tried them on my Airwolf but I dont think 40 lbs is enough to spin them up- think they were about R60 for a small tin
    Seadog

what sort of groups were you getting at what range?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Not great about 50 mm at 50 m With jsb redesign monsters I can get groups under 10 mm at 50 m with that gun but I don't think its the slugs fault the LW barrel on the wolf may not have enough twist rate and maybe 40 lbs of energy isn't enough but it was a fun cheap experiment
    Last edited by Seadog; 25-01-19 at 09:45.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I have ordered 2 tins of those slugs from Rashaad just to try out. Receiving them today and will give them a go. They do not have a botail and it seems they will have quite some resistance going through the barrel since they dont have circumferential rings like the huben slugs. At 9.8mm long they will fit the magazine of the huben better being only 1mm shorter than the max mag size(JSB monsters are about 3mm less than the mag and can cause acuracy issues being fired from the back of the mag. Will be fun to experiment though since the huben was not realy made for pellets.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkimiah View Post
    Hi
    Was wondering if you had considered looking at a bought slug?

Rabbit Magnum II .22 cal. » H&N Air Gun Pellets (Hunting)

I have tried the 31gr Grizzly in my RTI Priest in .25 calibre, the hit hard and group quite well. Unfortunatly there are no Grizzlies in 5.5mm
    I actually have a tin of the rabbit magnums at home but have not tried them yet. I'll give them a go when I try out the slugs from Rashaad.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

So I tried our Rashaads slugs in the huben. They are quite loose when going into the magazine And due to the way the huben operates the sharp points of the slugs get jammed up when the magazine cycles

I spent the rest of the little daylight unjamming the gun so no chance to try out the rabbit magnums yet.

The slug hunt continues... If anyone comes across any slugs that are readily available in South Aftica please let me know.

The actual huben slugs or these 5,52 mm air rifle pellet - 8 cav. mold are still the holy grail for this gun though.

Thanks