Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How good is the HW97K .177 (4.5MM) rifle out the box (in the hands of a newbie)

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default How good is the HW97K .177 (4.5MM) rifle out the box (in the hands of a newbie)

Hi,

Since there was an earlier discussion about the .20 version, just wanted to share my experience with the .177 out of the box rifle. Got my few days ago and mounted a very basic (and cheap) Oryx 4x32 scope on it. I?m in no ways expert and I have only few weeks experience with guns at all but there are lots of newbies like me asking questions about different rifles, so may be this will help them with their expectations. In general the gun is very well made (as you can expect in general with german quality). With 4.2kg it?s a bit on the heavy side for me (I?m not a big build but I like the weight), so I did some tests in the backyard holding the gun with both hands but resting them on a chair with some pillows. As I opened the box, I didn?t touch anything on the rifle ? not even the trigger weight screw, no cleaning whatsoever from the factory grease or anything else. First started sighting the scope by doing some shots from 28m with Umarex flat pellets and then switched to FX dome pellets. Bellow is a picture of my target from 28m. First needed some scope adjustments on the middle target for the FX pellets, then started with finer adjustments on the bottom right, after that switched to the bottom left (from then on haven?t touched the scope), then top left and the last is top right. On the top right I was trying to shoot as fast as I can. Just cock the rifle, safety off and as I go down to rest my hands on the chair with pillows, I was already pressing the first stage of the trigger. Then aim and shoot as fast as possible. The trigger has a very fine second stage, which in my opinion is about ? mm and then the shot goes off. The second stage really helps to know exactly the moment of the shot but you need to be very sensitive on the finger in order to feel it. The next day I started shooting new target with cold barrel and didn?t need to touch the scope at all in order to hit the bulls eye. I did the shoots with no wind. In regards of power with the FX dome pellets from 28m can panetrate 2lt bottle of coke filled with water but the pallet stayed inside. Without water it penetrates both sides. I?ll test it on the crony after few more shots and post the results as well.

P.S. Please don't laugh at my groupings (yet)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Keep it up swordfish your groupings will improve once the gun is broken in properly

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

In all honesty you will get much more from the rifle with a higher, not too high, variable zoom scope. Get one with mildots and adjustable objective(parallax correction).

I am using a 4-12x42 mildot AO Nikko Stirling Airking. There are Leapers etc that are also springer rated in that category of scopes. It all depends on what distance you plan to shoot at. The mentioned scope is very effective up to 50m to look at your groupings. The holes are easy to see. For further distances you will have to go bigger but you will loose the closer distances of 10-20m for which the 4x zoom is great. From the models I have seen the higher the top end zoom factor the higher the low end zoom factor increases eg. the zoom might only start at 8x which will make everything closer than 20m blurry.

The rifle imo can easily shoot out to 100m (need to test my groupings there still) because JTK's resetting targets still gets reset with no effort at 50m. The pellets are still all flat as paper which indicates a lot of remaining energy.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

28m for flatheads is a bit too far. The gun likes JSB 4.52 (at least my copy). Louis has them in stock. He can send them by post if you are interested.
    If I may suggest something, I would say that at this stage your focus should be in your trigger, breathing and consistency - not the scope. You have all the time to investigate and have the best option for you.
    If you put a lot of time and thinking on your technique your groupings will be much better. I started at 25m with groupings too much worse than my current @ 50m. Keep on - it is worth it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The rifle surely is capable of putting 10 shots into a square cm at 30meters without too much effort using the right pellets-assuming its upto Weirauch's normal standards. My 77 does it without too much effort. When im in the mood and i take my proper time you can turn that into half that. On springers your breathing, trigger pull and follow through is of utmost importance. Keep on practicing. Andjust take your time and be consistant. Consistant mistakes can be fixed easly. i have gone through atleast 2 tins of AA' and JSB's and I still cant decide which one is better. both are great pellets and the 77 loves them and so should the 97. Invest in either you wont be dissapionted. Just fyi when i use a lesser quality pellet like Marksman or gammo my groups op to 2-3 cm and you get flyers. it makes that much of a differnce.
    Last edited by Andries; 23-07-08 at 11:33.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Are the AA and JSB pellets not the same?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

From what i know they are the same

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

They have a different POI in all three rifles which leads me to believe they are not exactly the same.

REP: Oom A's Airguns

User Info Menu

My 77 likes 4.53 JSB's. AA, FX and Daystate (and probably a few others) are manufactured by JSB under licence in proprietary dies which explains why their is a slight difference between them and why some rifles like one or the other and some don't. Thank heaven for the differences as this allows us to experiment until we find the pellet we believe shoots best in our particular rifles.

The trick with springers is absolute consistency in grip position and pressure of grip. Don't worry about where on the target your group is for now. As your muscle memory of what feels right develops, the groups will close. Then seriously set up the scope (there is a bit more to it than just bolting it on). Then you can start taking out the numbers on the target. Much more fun than just shooting at the same spot. Get more shots per target too.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

not the same

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

After about 300 shot 2 bad points I could find:

1. The rifle started to rattle and I had tighten the screws (they had become very loose - both the stock and the trigger protection) - didn't expect that from a german quality gun. May be need to put some tight washers.

Do you all have the same problem with HW97K or something is not done properly on mine?

2. The fact that once the gun is cocked and you can't put the safety back on, unless you discharge. In the case you go hunting and the target runs away while aiming, then you'll have to run around with loaded rifle and no safety on - not the greatest idea.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Locktite is your friend. Its a high power springer- they break scopes- crack fillings and teeth( didnt actually believe that until i removed my moller with my finger the other day lol) They are picky about pellets. With the VERY good comes some nicks. its like driving a Ferrari. The car is uncomfortable, and difficult to drive BUT its a Ferrari and its Frikkin awesome! Just enjoy it if you start shooting MOA groups with it, and you decide to go over to PCP you will be legendary from shot 1

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

It is not uncommon until the gun runs-in to have one screw driver and two allen keys next to your pellets. Your gun does not have washers+grovers for the forend screws?
    Andries has a good point about friends and cars!

REP: Oom A's Airguns

User Info Menu

Quite normal for a new springer. Check the screws before each shooting session as well as after every 50 shots or so.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

So and then you happy with it out of the box, you fit a Maccari 12fpe kit, fine tune your trigger and suddenly move up a few heavens. Then you got a awesome accurate springer, very smooth, a joy to shoot with and it's not a scope killer anymore. For me personally I never choose power above accuracy. BTW mine love JSB 4.52 pellets.