Thread: Dive Cylinder Alternative?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Dive Cylinder Alternative?

So this might be a stupid question... But I was told about dive bottles for sale (the seller owns a CZ200 but is getting rid of everything )... So when I went to see the bottles, I noticed that they are actually Afrox cylinders (the black cylinders)... Apparently this person has been using them for over 3 years for his pcp. It's the first time I've heard of anyone using them, so naturally I'm skeptical... According to him the pressure rating is about 240bar? So I don't know what to make of it... Any thoughts on this??

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

You mean the bottle that holds the LPG for your heater or gas stove etc.. I would really check that out with AFROX 1st. I do no that when Mythbusters tried to heat one up until is burst, they had a very hard time indeed. Finally the resorted to drilling a hole in the bottom but not all the way through. This succeed in a spectacular display of a rotating rocket launch.

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '15/'17

User Info Menu

Black is the ISO colour coding for Nitrogen.

Breathing Air (scuba) is grey shoulder with yellow bottom in South Africa.

Stick to the correct cylinder else a certified filling shop will refuse to fill it with air. I think a nitrogen cylinder can be re-certified and colour coded to air - but spare yourself the drama.
    Last edited by Juniork; 20-01-19 at 08:11.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

The Afrox oxygen cylinders in hospitals are also black with white shouldering. Not sure if you mean these or all black?
    Those tend to be filled to somewhere between 150 and 200bar, but i'd have to check to be sure. Don't know what they're rated to.
    Best to stick to a proper SCBA cylinder

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Yes the black with white shoulder bottle... I also thought it's better to stick with what I know works (a real scuba cylinders) but it would save me a lot of time and money if these cylinders do work... But I guess it's not worth the risk

User Info Menu

If you have a place that is willing to fill them and keep them to standard (compressed air) - then you can use them.

I imported a cylinder from the UK (Best Fittings) where they use the European Standard (EN) - white and black quartered shoulder for air, but my service provider in Cape Town did not want to fill it, so I got is repainted and certified to the SA Scuba (breathable air) standard.

So on my cylinder the only difference now is the colour of the paint - it is not EN standard any more but SANAS - SANS / SABS. Whats the difference in safety risk? - none what so ever!

Wikipedia: - note "Scuba cylinders" - an air rifle is not a scuba diver? - but I suppose good quality breathable air (dry, clean and odorless) is very good for its / your regulator and hammer valve.
    "South Africa[edit]

Scuba cylinders are required to comply with the colours and markings specified in SANS 10019:2006.[44]

• Cylinder colour is Golden yellow with a French grey shoulder.
    • Cylinders containing gases other than air or medical oxygen must have a transparent adhesive label stuck on below the shoulder with the word NITROX or TRIMIX in green and the composition of the gas listed.
    • Cylinders containing medical oxygen must be black with a white shoulder."

Diving cylinder - Wikipedia
    Last edited by Juniork; 21-01-19 at 13:47.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Check with Afrox if the cylinders belong to them or the individual .............

Whats the difference in safety risk? - none what so ever!

mmmmm, if you go diving with your airguns your buddy might end up blowing bubbles ....... ... people can do stupid things .... therefore the standards.

User Info Menu

I referred to the "difference in safety risk" between the different standards - or do you think you would blow less bubbles with a SANS certified cylinder than with a EN, DIN or other standards certified cylinder?

For scuba cylinders there is however standards requirements - that is not applicable to air rifle or none breathable compressed air applications.

Do not get me wrong - I am all for the relevant safety standards - it's the difference between life and death.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

If it was me I'd rather go the standard SA scuba air certified cylinder and be happy.
    With the standard scuba cylinder there is no having to convince any dive shops to fill or getting it repainted & re-certified (at cost), just refill your scuba cylinder en klaar.