Thread: How's this for a pellet trap idea...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default How's this for a pellet trap idea...

So I was shooting a target the other day and stacked up some old tyres to pin it on (as a back stop because it was indoors), shot from about 20m away and to my surprise I shot through the thread of the tyres and what was left of the pellet could be found inside the tyre... My gun shoots about 1170fps with 8.44gr pellets so you need some power to go through the Tyre, but using my 800fps springer, I could penetrate the rubber leaving some pellets embedded in the thread and others laying on the floor around it... (I used a 195/65R15 Tyre with almost no thread left on it)... [/CODE]

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Ineresting. I should test that and have a look see.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

So that was a garden variety round nose JSB?

I'm assuming the sidewall would provide similar resistance as the running surface with no tread? Also, an inflated tire would be easier to penetrate as it would have less "give"?. - Asking for a friend

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Be careful using tyres as a backstop, they have a bad habit of returning the pellets to sender at a fair speed.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Be careful using tyres as a backstop, they have a bad habit of returning the pellets to sender at a fair speed.
    Indeed Dale, I forgot to mention that I would try that from a fair distance. I have had similar experience shooting at a golf ball hanging from a string 15m away and the pellet was returned to sender at intimidating speed!

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Barron View Post
    So that was a garden variety round nose JSB?

I'm assuming the sidewall would provide similar resistance as the running surface with no tread? Also, an inflated tire would be easier to penetrate as it would have less "give"?. - Asking for a friend
    Sidewall is thinner than the tyre surface even without most of the thread.
    Lol, an inflated tyre wouldn't stay that way for long - which I guess is the point? Does your ''friend'' have a special love for Taxis and want to be a Good Samaritan and help them change tyres?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Yea the side wall will be easier to penetrate since it hasn't got the steel belt you find under the thread, it's only got the nylon cords, but I chose the to shoot the threaded area because it was the only part of the Tyre I could staple all 4 corners of the target on... What would happen if the Tyre was inflated is a interesting question, I'll test 1 out tomorrow if I get the time, and let you know... I THINK if you shooting above 800fps you should be reasonably safe from pellets bouncing at you (but anything is possible so I'm not accepting responsibility for any freak accidents), in fact if it's going to bounce, I think it'll be bouncing off a inflated Tyre, or possibly a deflated Tyre on a rim, but not a loose, worn off Tyre (might be advisable to not try a very old Tyre that's cracking from laying in the sun for years)... But I find it safe enough for myself to shoot at without second guessing

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Macros View Post
    Sidewall is thinner than the tyre surface even without most of the thread.
    Lol, an inflated tyre wouldn't stay that way for long - which I guess is the point? Does your ''friend'' have a special love for Taxis and want to be a Good Samaritan and help them change tyres?
    LOL you read m... I mean his mind

I did an experiment this past weekend with an old tire. It was a 13" uno tire that had perfect sidewalls but one half of the tread had come off(only steel belt remained) and the other half was pretty worn but intact . Put it upright 22m away from me and shot it with my Huben shooting the 25.39gr monster redesigns at about 950fps. It passed through both sidewalls. Then I layed the tire on side, with the "good tread" towards me and the "steel belt only" section facing away from me, the gun shot straight through both treads. I then tried a cheapie sharp nose pellet(i think at 13gr or so) on the same power setting and they did not make it thru the "good tread". - seems you need pellet weight to get through.

Putting the tire back upright I tried a 8.44gr JSB with my HW50s shooting at the sidewall at 22m. This pellet was returned to sender LOL. - Always wear safety glasses. At point blank the HW50s did not go through the sidewall either. It did however make it through the "belt only side of the tire tread" point blank with a sharp nose pellet.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

So I haven't got the opportunity to shoot a fully inflated tyre yet but I did shoot another scrap tyre (205/40R17 this time), with 10.49gr pellets and came up with the same results as the previous Tyre... Maybe with the heavier pellets and more powerful guns you should try using a bakkie tyre or truck even...