Thread: Can you shoot slugs from a normal barrel?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Can you shoot slugs from a normal barrel?

Hi All

I would like some info regarding slugs. How do you know if your barrel can shoot them? I am afraid of damaging my barrel.

Thanks

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

If it is of same calibre what would make you think slugs can damage your barrel?
    It would probably just not perform well if you rifle cannot push them at the right speed.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I have a Priest in 5.5mm, the 15,89gr run at an ave of 950fps, the 18.13gr run at an ave of 910fps.
    Good accuracy
    I got hold of a few NSA 22,5gr slugs to test, initial accuracy was good, and chrony was.....780fps
    I cannot change the regulator pressure without major surgery, so slugs are out on the Priest, but
    My Airforce Talon is another thing, when I get more slugs, they will be used in the Talon, due to the "adjustability" of the weapon
    That is a project all on it's own

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

How do you get hold of the NSA slugs in this country? I have a Huben K1 and it was born for slugs but alas I cannot source them. - I would prefer a heavier slug tho, something like 34gr or so.

With the recent peaks of interests into slugs in the air rifle community I don't know why the major manufacturers(like JSB etc) havnt jumped on board the hype train.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Excuse my ignorance here - but what is the purpose of slug usage in air rifling?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cloetelouis View Post
    Hi All

I would like some info regarding slugs. How do you know if your barrel can shoot them? I am afraid of damaging my barrel.

Thanks
    At 42 seconds:
    New .25 cal Airgun Hunting Slugs - YouTube

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Black-Fly View Post
    Excuse my ignorance here - but what is the purpose of slug usage in air rifling?
    Better BC for the shoot far guys.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Barron View Post
    How do you get hold of the NSA slugs in this country? I have a Huben K1 and it was born for slugs but alas I cannot source them. - I would prefer a heavier slug tho, something like 34gr or so.

With the recent peaks of interests into slugs in the air rifle community I don't know why the major manufacturers(like JSB etc) havnt jumped on board the hype train.
    Nick van Tonder got them for me
    23gr and 30gr
    Chat to him

Cadet

User Info Menu

Hey, did you get ahold of slugs? If not... look up Umair in OLX. He is based in wtb. I bought some from him for testing purps