Thread: BSA AIRGUNS.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default BSA AIRGUNS.

As we all know, one of the main reasons for the inherent accuracy issues with BSA airguns is the absence of a cross bolt at the breach to take up sideways play. BSA has been using a simple dowel pin which leaves no way to take up any play. I recently acquired a lightning XLT which I believe is one of the last brumie built ones, not the "SE" version with the gamo trigger, It's got the old BSA pseudo 2 stage unit, which I find to be just fine for the purpose. Way better than any gamo trigger at least imo. So, here is what I've done,and it works damn well!!

Apart from the cross bolt, I've also removed the 7,5J spring(200mm) and replaced it with a 260mm, longer one with the same ID, OD and gauge. On the forum here it's states it should be 260mm long with 32/32 coils, I don't know if that's for a 12fpe, but I'll check when I can get some crony time. Accuracy is a ragged clover leaf at 18m, that's all the distance I have here at home till I get to the range again.

Cheers

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

If you want to do a similar modification but save on machining time, I understand that the barrel pivot bolt from an HW rifle can be fitted to BSA's as well
    Last edited by Dale; 05-02-19 at 09:14.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Looks like a good modification Madness.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Yes Dale, I'm sure it would work too, but would it fit correctly? I don't know what the dimensions are for a weihrauch cross bolt either? I'm not about to strip down my 50s to find out lol. Besides, to get one would cost money, time to get here and possibly needs to be machined to size too. I'm a turner machinest by trade, so a quick rummel through the stainless scrap bin at work, 30min later and there is.... A cross bolt. A very very easy mod indeed. This will also work well on the newer BSA "SE" models too, just need to find a way to get that nasty Gamo trigger sorted out. I was lucky to find one of the older ones with the original BSA trigger.

Thanks Crab

Cheers
    Last edited by madness; 04-02-19 at 23:50.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by madness View Post
    Yes Dale, I'm sure it would work too, but would it fit correctly?
    I haven't tried it myself, but I mention it because I know that others have done it, so that makes me think it does fit OK (or with minimal modification needed).

You are lucky that you have both the skills and kit to make the item from scratch, for those of more limited means that might not be such an easy option.
    Last edited by Dale; 07-02-19 at 08:50.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Yes Dale, you're right about that. Some guys don't have access to a machine shop or even a lathe. I've done a bit of work for a couple of guys on the forum in my spare time before. If it's a quick job and I can find a piece of material in the scap bin, I don't charge much, if anything. I know how frustrating it can be to need something simple and yet it's out of reach. Anywhooo, here's the latest, a stainless end cap for the beeza, machined it during lunch time today

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Very nice, looks much better than the plastic end cap.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

WAIT, THERE'S MORE!! As luck would have it, I had a few minutes to myself at work. Went ahead and machined a new shiny front end to match the rear end.

I'm still contemplating weighing the stock down a bit, but all in all, I think it came along quite nicely. Not to bad for a nonconforming little BSA....
    Last edited by madness; 07-02-19 at 21:11.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

OK, so I went and added 500g to the back end of the stock. This brought the balance toward the back of the rifle. Today I was at the range with a light breeze and shot a few rounds. Over the crony the rifle was doing a consistent 9,5fpe, averaging 700fps and an extreme spread of 11fps with H&N FTT. She really doesn't like JSB's at all seeing as though the best group there was 1,5" at 26m, but with the FTT's the groups shrank to 20mm. This however is not as good as my TX, 97 or even my D34, but then again, I wasn't expecting it to be. The shot cycle is much nicer than before, even with the full power spring. It actually feels and sounds like its running a gas ram with a quick thwock! Snappy yes, but definately manageable. I know this will all improve the more it's shot. So this little beeza is most definitely going to be a fantastic little pester within 30m. This one is definitely a keeper!!