Thread: Weihrauch HW100 - what are the differences between versions?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Weihrauch HW100 - what are the differences between versions?

Hi again, all!

While I'm still on the subject of Weihrauch rifles, I'm also having trouble with a scarcity of information on technical differences between earlier and later versions of the HW100, and when those differences were implemented.
    All the differences between earlier and later versions seem to have been introduced as running changes, and it also seems that not all the changes were introduced at the same time.

As best I can tell:

STOCK
    Earlier versions had a choice between a right-handed Monte Carlo stock and ambidextrous thumbhole stock. Later versions have a choice between an ambidextrous sporter stock and the ambi thumbhole stock. (But all stocks are in oiled Walnut.)

TRIGGER
    Earlier versions had a one-piece trigger blade assembly, with the sear as part of the trigger blade. Later versions have a removable, adjustable trigger blade.

AIR FILLING
    Earlier versions had no quick-fill capability, so you needed to remove the air cylinder from the rifle to re-fill it. Later versions A) can be filled using a probe fitting on the muzzle end of the air cylinder (although you can still refill the cylinder by removing it from the rifle if you want to), and B) had UK-legislated anti-tamper construction that makes it difficult to dismantle the air cylinder without special tools.

On earlier versions, the sound moderator was an integral part of the barrel and couldn't be removed. On later versions, the silencer is threaded for removal.

AIR CYLINDER

On earlier versions, the air cylinder was easier to cross-thread into the receiver, and if you did,the potential for damage was high because the threaded portion of the receiver was aluminium alloy. Later versions got a steel cylinder insert that reduced the possibility of cross-threading.

Some people also seem to be of the opinion that the early HW100s weren't as accurate as they are now (though they don't give any reasons for thinking so).
    Is there any justification for this opinion?

From one source I found on the internet:
    - Screw-on silencer appeared late in 2004 (s/n 1901xxx onward)
    - Sporter stock appeared early in 2005 (s/n 1902xxx onward)
    - Steel cylinder insert appeared in mid-2005 (s/n 1904xxx onward)
    - Quickfill (and anti-tamper) appeared in late 2006 (s/n 1906xxx onward)

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I have a HW100 4,5 from 2009 it came with a slip on silencer barrel isn't threaded but the rest of the gun is all the same as my later 2016 5mm Some of the later 5,5s I have seen have shrouded barrels
    Last edited by Seadog; 11-02-19 at 17:56.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yes, something else that muddies the waters. Given how popular these rifles are, and the reverence in which their owners hold them, I'm surprised no one has created an HW 100 'wiki' with all this information, as it can be confusing to establish which year-model gun has what.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

All the hw100 s have a date on the air tube so they are easy to date.

Weihrauch Database

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
    All the hw100 s have a date on the air tube so they are easy to date.

Weihrauch Database
    Nice one!

I wish that had popped up in my search results. Not sure why it didn't.