Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unbreakable springer scope?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Unbreakable springer scope?

Hi Guy's,

I recently got a Gamo replay 10 magnum. The scope it came with, a gamo 3-9, lasted about 10 shots. It seems the gun is torquing the scope as the entire recticle slowly moved anti-clockwise and is now more a "X" than a "+"

I know its a gamo, but please note that I knew everything about this gun from the get-go. - I bought it ONLY for the power and its filled the brief perfectly. I also cannot comment on the accuracy at all cuz the scope gave up the ghost so quickly

If the gun came with open sights perhaps I would have just left it with the open sights. Unfortunately it needs a scope to be used at all.

So, what is the toughest scope out there for these magnum springers? These has to be someone that can build a scope tough enough to withstand these shock forces?

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Easy solution, get a springer that is tuned/modified to shoot properly and you will not need an unbreakable scope.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I have a HW50s, tuned by MZE himself, that runs very well indeed. This Gamo was my wildcard... - now looking for a scope pls... ;p

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

That scope does not exists

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Barron View Post
    I know its a gamo, but please note that I knew everything about this gun from the get-go. - I bought it ONLY for the power and its filled the brief perfectly. I also cannot comment on the accuracy at all cuz the scope gave up the ghost so quickly
    Perhaps find a barn, go inside close the door and just shoot without sights.

At least the rifle will give its full accuracy potential.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Did you buy it new? I would take it back. Selling a scope that lasts 10 shots!
    Have you put it over a chronograph?
    If there is a scope that can handle the recoil chances are that it would be so expensive that you can just as well buy a powerful PCP, which will not break scopes.

Prof. Jan Itor

User Info Menu

Leapers/UTG (SWAT & Bugbuster) seems to be the scope of choice for magnum springers in the USA.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TwentyCal View Post
    Did you buy it new? I would take it back. Selling a scope that lasts 10 shots!
    Have you put it over a chronograph?
    If there is a scope that can handle the recoil chances are that it would be so expensive that you can just as well buy a powerful PCP, which will not break scopes.
    Yes its all brand new. I am taking to the dealer to have it replaced, but I do not have super high hopes for it to last very long. That's why I posted this thread, to hopefully find the guaranteed solution.

I have chronied it yes, It makes just over 29ft.lbs with the 15,89gr pellets @ 910fps - so yes it realy is a scope chomping beast. My biggest surprise was that the power was not overhyped so I am very happy with the gun itself, also the magazine is just plain awesome.

I already have a Huben K1. It runs beautifully. I only shoot JSB 25.39gr and 34gr(untill I can find the propper slugs). This GAMO was supposed to be the springer equivalent lol... If the scope is to be expensive then it is what it is, I just realy want this mag springer up and running.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen K View Post
    Leapers/UTG (SWAT & Bugbuster) seems to be the scope of choice for magnum springers in the USA.
    Thanks CK, perhaps I will do some research on the international forums as well.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Oh one more thing, the supplier claims they have never had an issue with the gamo scopes on these rifles before so maybe I was just really unlucky and got the runt of the litter. I can only imagine that gamo would not package a scope with their rifles if they were not sure it would hold up.

PS: I hear the HAWKE airmax scopes are also quite tough.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Hi Guy's,

I recently got a Gamo replay 10 magnum. The scope it came with, a gamo 3-9, lasted about 10 shots. It seems the gun is torquing the scope as the entire recticle slowly moved anti-clockwise and is now more a "X" than a "+"

If the gun came with open sights perhaps I would have just left it with the open sights. Unfortunately it needs a scope to be used at all.

So, what is the toughest scope out there for these magnum springers? These has to be someone that can build a scope tough enough to withstand these shock forces?

A number of fundamental issues here, IMO.

• Magnum springers should not be used with a scope, for obvious reasons.
    • B-Grade magnum springers should not be allowed to exist.
    • The question should not be: 'Is the scope springer-rated'...the question should always be 'Is the rifle scope-friendly'. If the answer is NO!... either don't buy it, or don't put a scope on it and use the OPEN SIGHTS they generally come with.

Obviously there are some good experiences out there, but I can only imagine how a brand-based bar graph would look like in terms of scope-destroying spring rifles. Gamo, Hatsan and Diana would probably be very tall, whereas Weihrauch (and any other A-grade manufacturer) would be a bit shorter, but not by too much.

With all due respect, the fact that you purchased this rifle recently points to a touch of 'general ignorance' on the real-life mechanics of (magnum) spring guns. You too, like most of us, will learn the hard way about falling for marketing tech speak gobbeldigook acronyms that are prevalent on Gamo and Hatsan brochures/packaging.

Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I can only imagine that gamo would not package a scope with their rifles if they were not sure it would hold up.
    They don't really care. I have a lot of respect for Gamo glass, but they are all essentially disposable products.

Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AYOBA! View Post
    That scope does not exists

What he said, although not plural.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Oh one more thing, the supplier claims they have never had an issue with the gamo scopes on these rifles before so maybe I was just really unlucky and got the runt of the litter. I can only imagine that gamo would not package a scope with their rifles if they were not sure it would hold up.

I have an Airmax 3- 12. I really like it alot and am currently using it on my HW97. BUT my HW97 does not nearly put out the kind of power you have coming out of the gamo and, in my opinion, that is the cause of your problem. To generate that kind of power from a spring must be a halluva lot of force, I think it will eat any scope, Airmax included.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Yea look most springer rated scopes are based on 12 ft/lbs (16J) rifles and they all eventually give in, the problem is the triple action recoil of the springer, so at 29J you almost double the energy of the guns that springer rated scopes are tested on... My advice, if you really want to put a scope on it go for a fixed mag, fixed parallax scope (Gamo has a pretty good 4x32, I used it on a Hatsan 95 shooting around 16J and the guy I sold the gun too is still using the scope about a year later)... But I think you'll find it cheaper to use open sights in the long run with that 29J rifle of yours, or at best you be buying a new scope every 500-1000 shots... Gamo, UTG, Hawke & Nikko Stirling usually work good on springers (16J springer) to give you some perspective of what to look at

REP: Outdoor Pitstop
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

99% of package deals from factories have very basic build scopes that do not last at all, unless customer is happy with 10inch groupings. Most suppliers dont offer warranty on those scopes. A better brand scope "might" work on that rifle, but for how long....
    In the past 6months i have returned 6-8 gamo scopes, all faulty. If you willing to keep the rifle, see if you have another brand scope as spare. Use it on the rifle, if it works then spend money on another scope but gamo