Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Ultra SE.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default BSA Ultra SE.

Hi, all!

I'm in the market for a compact carbine.
    I'm wondering: does anyone out there have a BSA Ultra SE - or any other PCP rifle with similar dimensions, light weight and about the same quality - for sale?

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Have a look at the HW100 version.

The BSA Ultra was fraught with issues. Ask Yeti.

I think he spent more than the cost of the gun on mods to get it shooting nice.

They are also very scarce, as they were not very popular. If they are still being manufactured, then I am sure that the quality has taken a dive, considering the GAMO connection.

My advice?

Find yourself a SH HW100K and chop the barrel down to 310mm. You will then have a VERY compact, superbly-made rifle that shoots and handles like a dream. I did it, among many others. FANTASTIC! I sold my stumpie and regretted it for a long time. I now have another one...my 4th HW100!
    Last edited by Bludlust; 12-02-19 at 19:57.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

My choice - Short, accurate, HUGE shot count (200 on low power), three power settings. That is why I have 3 of these.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

OK, for those like me who are new to air rifles - what am I looking at? It looks like something I would like to have.....

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phats View Post
    OK, for those like me who are new to air rifles - what am I looking at? It looks like something I would like to have.....

I was also enamored by the Ultra in my early days.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phats View Post
    The one with the tactical look I think is the Kral Puncher NP-02

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Nope, its the FX Verminator

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    Have a look at the HW100 version.

They are also very scarce, as they were not very popular. If they are still being manufactured, then I am sure that the quality has taken a dive, considering the GAMO connection.

My advice?

Find yourself a SH HW100K and chop the barrel down to 310mm. You will then have a VERY compact, superbly-made rifle that shoots and handles like a dream. I did it, among many others. FANTASTIC! I sold my stumpie and regretted it for a long time. I now have another one...my 4th HW100!

I agree with Blud. The full power HW100 K models have a 410mm barrel as standard along with a shortened forestock and air tank.

You can cut the barrel further if needed but the silencer will foul the air tank if you cut it too short. Also you will reduce power if shortened too much. You can compensate with higher reg pressure and hammer spring tension but that will reduce efficiency and shot count. It's all a balancing act....

That FX Verminator looks like a nice alternative

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice, all!

I shot one on Monday - ironically, it belongs to the fellow who sold me my HW 100.
    My first impression on handling it was: This little thing is fantastic - just what I need. The fit and finish were excellent to my eyes, the bolt action felt positive, nice trigger, and accuracy at 30 metres was superb (admittedly, I had the gun in my hands for five minutes and only had a chance to fire about six shots through it).
    Technopro are currently selling the Ultra SE for R6 840.

Having owned an HW 100 for a bit, I can definitely see the attraction.
    Three things put me off, though: the attraction of a different-looking, different-feeling rifle made by a different manufacturer, the fact that I 'gelled' with the Ultra almost from the moment I picked it up, and the money needed to purchase a second HW 100.

This is a 'budget' purchase. On average, used HW 100s seem to go for about R12 500 to R13 000. I got mine for R12 000 with no scope.
    R12 500 is nearly twice the price of a brand-new Ultra SE. And I'd still have to make a drastic, irreversible change to it.

(Side note: I've tried and failed to find out how much a Weihrauch HW 110 STK is, brand new. Alan Donaldson hadn't even heard of it when I asked him on Tuesday, and although Google yields a fair few results for 'Weihrauch HW 100 for sale South Africa', there is nothing for 'Weihrauch HW 110 STK for sale South Africa'.)

Quote Originally Posted by CarlEgmont View Post
    My choice - Short, accurate, HUGE shot count (200 on low power), three power settings. That is why I have 3 of these.
    As I said, this is a 'budget' purchase. I'm thinking of spending no more than R4 500 on a suitable Hawke scope for it, plus a few minor odds and sods, like sling swivels. And this gun won't be a conversation piece - it's going to work hard.

Brand new, a Verminator Mk. II costs R18 100 from Air Gun Warehouse. I've just seen a second-hand one for sale on Junk Mail (I think) for R13 564.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

(Side note: I've tried and failed to find out how much a Weihrauch HW 110 STK is, brand new. Alan Donaldson hadn't even heard of it when I asked him on Tuesday, and although Google yields a fair few results for 'Weihrauch HW 100 for sale South Africa', there is nothing for 'Weihrauch HW 110 STK for sale South Africa'.)

You are looking at R17000.00 for a 110.

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Rather buy a Brocock Compatto?

Quote Originally Posted by Pellet pusher View Post

You are looking at R17000.00 for a 110.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
    As I said, this is a 'budget' purchase. I'm thinking of spending no more than R4 500 on a suitable Hawke scope for it, plus a few minor odds and sods, like sling swivels. And this gun won't be a conversation piece - it's going to work hard.

Brand new, a Verminator Mk. II costs R18 100 from Air Gun Warehouse. I've just seen a second-hand one for sale on Junk Mail (I think) for R13 564.

This is a Mk1 Verminator. I picked up my third one in the Junkmail for R9000. Complete in its case with 2 mags, Weihrauch silencer, scope and a longer Gladiator barrel. They do become available from time to time on the secondhand market.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pellet pusher View Post
    You are looking at R17 000.00 for a 110.
    Ouch! Nearly two and a half times what I'm looking at spending.
    I sort of knew, that would be comparing apples with... Dragon fruit.
    Just out of interest, which retailer quoted that price?

Quote Originally Posted by AYOBA! View Post
    Rather buy a Brocock Compatto?
    Now that looks like a viable alternative.
    Does anyone have one for sale at a competitive price?

Prof. Jan Itor

User Info Menu

His R10 was pretty neat though...
    BSA R10 MINI-ME CUT DOWN TO SIZE ~ Air Rifle SA Forums

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I owned that R10 mini-me for a while. Awesome little rifle.