Thread: 12fpe as law

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

Default 12fpe as law

On the point brought up by Niel in the relicencing thread. 12fpe is the stated max for FT, lets not try confuse the issue here. The current government organisations tasked with inforcing the FCA (are they??) are battling with interpretation of the law as it is lets not try and confuse them further.

Should SA adopt a fpe regulation (12fpe is only accepted as the FT standard because that was the British limit at the time), will you be happy with your air rifle being confiscated at every road block because it had to be tested, well you don't expect every road block to have a crono a scale (in grains) and a calculater on hand do you??

What we all want to see, if I may be so bold as to speak for the majority, is that the statis quo (spelling Brian?) remain. I agree with Avion, remove roadside selling if we can (although they are not breaking the law), any aditional regulations applied to air rifles will just go further to confuse the issue.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i would rather they enforce the 12fpe law than all rifles require a license as i do not use an FAC gun but i supose those you do would have a different opinion all together.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I think the 12 ft/lbs limit is bit of a daft way to go about things. 12 or 24 - they both equate to alot of damage.

The age laws present in the UK air rifle setup seem to offer a better way of presenting awareness that air rifles are not toys. Granted, you will still get old silly buggers doing the wrong thing now and again - but far less methinx.
    Not wanting to discuss at which age's things should be done, think that will sidetrack this thread somewhat, but I beleive it will add some level of control to the chaos of the moment.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

avion i would think that yes the age laws would work to some extent but wether you shoot say a cat and injure it is more up to the personality of a person how they have experienced life in there own unique way so you will get some kid that is 10 years old and shoots more responsibly that a thirty year old guy that has or hasnt had a lot to drink.

personally i have been brought up with 10 dogs and therefore would NEVER shoot one or a cat for that matter just because that is how i have been brought up. before a started this sport i wouldnt have even shot a dove thats what i was like at a younger age.now yes i will do some hunting but will not even think about doing something so stupid like shooting a dog or cat.
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Wed May 18 2005, 09:11PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Agreed moose, however that is you. You are a responsible young airgunner, you have experience of FT and the sport. I'm talking about kids who get an air rifle as a present because someone thought it was a good idea.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

yes i know the kind you are talking about and i kuk on them constantly when the shoot just to injure guinea fowl in one instance but this is a guy that i sold my s200 to and he is nearly 18 ao what law on age can be made without cutting out the few resposible young air gunners there are.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Well I was hoping that by providing age laws, one would consider airguns not as toys but as weapons to some extent. At the moment they come across as toys, sold in toy stores and flea markets.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I think the best way is to have some standard laws which might be already in place, i.e.: an air rifle may not be seen or used in public, ect.... this way anyone who is caught disobeying the laws regarding airguns may be prosecuted. Might get some of the little S&^ts off the road.
    Some time ago we had a neighbour across the road from our complex which enjoyed every afternoon shooting out the new windows that the builder had installed in the new units, cops were called and boy was found with gun -- problem --- no enforceable laws, so the gave him a smack on the wrist and walked away, didn't even confiscate his gun. Basic laws, that?s what we need for prosecution and control, NOT licencing.....

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,

I agree to sertain extent on the age limit, but as some have pointed out already (moose I have not met u as jet but your shares just went up, their are to many idiots asking to by an air rifle from me and the comment is always, "will this kill a cat/ dog", I politley, not, tell them to b$#@r off)

Refresh, this is the problem, there are laws against misuse of airguns, antique guns, with a maximum jail term of 20yrs and or administrative fines. This includes damage to property, see section 120 through 122 of the Act and shedule 4 of the act for jail terms.

The problem is the police do not know how to a. inforce the Act and B. the interpretation of the Act on the ground is not up to speed.
    For example if you what to do some "drive by shooting' of Mhyna birds, you could be in contrevention of section 120 3a and 7 just to name two.

Note for all read over even just the FAC summary of the full act. It mite make the differance for all of us.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I propose that the air gun shooters on this forum make contact with the FAC and go into discussion around the issue of lisencing or not on energy & age grounds. When using any weapon that is capable of launching a projectile minors must be accompanied by a soberminded adult. To get a cat to purr, tickle its chin :-)
    I have seen unscroupolous dealers an all who sells air rifles to kids without an adult present. Flea market dealers and street corner vendors are the greatest culprits here. They should be stopped from selling air rifles at a public place or street. As Warrick has stated, he and I think many other airgun dealers have the same level of integrity to send a bloke to hell with a smile when certain distastefull requests are aired. Lets spread the message of safe and responsible air rifle use. Lets get the air rifle bodies involved and if nesseacary lets make affiliation to an Air Rifle sporting body a pre requisite to own an air rifle. I know my head is in the clouds with this one, but all great things in life starts with a simple idea.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Being who I am I have gone to most gun shops with a request of acquiring an air rifle. To demonstrate how powerfull the rifle is (e.g. Gamo 1000@1500Ft/sec?)l was told that it will kill cats and in most cases dogs when using the right ammo.. I have not been shown the door once but got quite a few lectures on how and where to shoot them.(Any thing for a sale) I personally know about at least three people that bought a rifle for the sole purpose of shooting cats.Needless to say the three fools are no longer my friends and those gun shops will not sell me as little as a paper target in future and I will tell everybody that they are not worth supporting.

User Info Menu

ALL HAIL GERRIE.

That is just the spirit, get your freinds and shooting buddies to support those who wish to see the sport grow and the industry prosper (??? O learned Brian kindly spell check pleez).

If we encorage support for those who actualy give a damn and not just discorage the unscrupulouse (Brian HELP!!!) dealers, but as Moose so eloquently (AAh me makum big discovery, type in MSword spell check and paste!!!) put it "KuK" on all fools and children who suggest you use an air rifle in a foolish manner!