Thread: Restoration of Britannia

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Restoration of Britannia

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

This rifle was manufactured in 1906 (I think) and deserves to be put back into action.

My Britannia has now been stripped and I am hopeful that I will be able to complete at least a partial restoration.
    It should be a fairly simple process as there are so few parts on this air rifle and those built Clyde fashion (ie all heavy metal not fiddly bits!) .
    My goal is to replace the leather seal (not so much a seal as a minor interference to air passage) and the spring which appears to be broken.

(excuse my non-technical terminology please)

The end cap and spring compression rod are simply removed and no surprise that there is hardly any compression in the spring as the end cap slot is turned.

A piece of broken spring is hiding at the end of the piston.

The leather seal is a bit tatty (to say the least)

The leather seal is held in place by a flat steel rivet with its end slightly peened over inside the piston (that may be tricky to replace).

there is a brass cup washer in the mix too

leather is 5 to 6mm thick

Piston measures ~ 27.5mm ( a bit odd that at about 1.1" ; but then again, this is definitely not an example of precision engineering)

This breach seal might be very tricky to replace, it looks again like leather.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I found a method for making a leather seal on Pyramidair.
    First soak your leather in water with a spot of detergent, for two days, this is to make the leather soft and pliable, done that.

Drill a hole in an inch thick piece of wood, the same diameter as the piston, done that (~28mm).

Take your leather and with a suitable size socket, place over the hole and press (with some considerable vigour- this leather is very thick) the leather into the hole, done that (sort of)
    tap lightly and carefully with a mancunian screw driver (notice that nothing much is happening)
    use a heavier blunt instrument (brute force and much ignorance)
    watch the wood split, curse and start / think again.
    maybe the forming of the wet leather better done with a steady pressure exerted by a vice in a former made from a more resilient material

will post update when the leather has dried

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

The vice press and a superwood former is the way to go , I should have thought of that before,
    (brute force and ignorance is not bliss!)

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

So far so good Lilliput.

Are you looking at staying as original as possible? If not, you could always switch to a synthetic seal from an HW97 or TX200 and a counter sink bolt after threading the piston hole.

Same goes for the breech seal. I replaced my Retay seal with gasket maker and an appropriately sized o-ring

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I guess as original as possible BUT there have been some make-dos already. The previously mentioned "metal rivet" holding on the leather seal was actually a very rusty mild steel screw . I can probably do better than that.
    Thanks for the suggestion Thomas, I agree that threading the piston head and even possibly glueing a nut on the reverse side of the piston to better hold the flat head set screw or bolt and leather seal in place, that is worth trying.
    Cutting the leather seal to size may well prove difficult, I will try that before going all modern.
    Using the supawood former was partially successful (the former split again), but I found a piece of oak wine barrel this morning and have faith this will withstand the pressure of the forming technique using a vice.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I now have a useable leather seal, thoroughly soaked and stored in a lanolin based lubricant (the excellent "Fluid Film")
    The next task is to source a suitable spring. Diameter no more than 21mm and length about 220mm.

Please let me have any leads for sourcing such a spring (do I need any other specifications?)

Seal fixed with 5mm bolt into tapped piston head, (will loctite a nut onto the reverse) . Excess Fluid Film gunk will be cleaned off when reassembling.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Try a nylock nut at the back.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

@Lilliput How is the progress on the Brittania?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Progress , stalled.......due to long trip to the E Cape Highlands to enjoy and complete the Ben10 Eco 4X4 challenge (https://mountainpassessouthafrica.co...ass/ben10.html )
    and now I just need to get a suitable spring. Then I can reassemble the rifle and see if we have enough puff to launch a pellet further than before .