Thread: How silent should it be?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default How silent should it be?

Hi everyone.

I have been off the forum for quite some time. But here goes my question.

I previously owned a Cz200, AAs400 and an AR20-FT. All of them in .177. This was a few years ago, The CZ and s400 both had an AA silencer fitted and the AR was fitted with an Airvolution.

I recently purchased an Artemis PR900w (5.5) via Rashaad from Outdoor Pitstop (Exceptional service),

The only item I replaced on the rifle was the standard sound moderator, which I just assumed would be kak.

In short, I want to know how silent I can expect this rifle to be with the silencer?

With my previously owned rifles (all in .177) I truelly learned what it meant to have a "mouse fart" silent rifle. Hammer impact louder than impact, etc.

Comparing the standard sound moderator that comes with the artemis, I am struggling to really hear a significant reduction in sound with the after market unit. Granted, I have not done tests using a proper decibal reader.

So, I ask again. Realistically, how quiet can I expect the rifle to be?

I am VERY hesitant to mention the silencer brand, as it is well respected on this forum and all reviews I have read about it has been excellent.

Cheers,
    Leon

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I think it all comes down to how the rifles was designed and the budget they had to work with. The reason for saying this is because I had a cz200 with my fattboy suppressor, it was so quiet that I had to dry fire it against a piece of paper just to see if there is actually air coming out at the front. But on my predator .177 that is down tuned to 780fps and with the same fattboy it is no way near as quite. I have a few different suppressorsand the quality of it make a big difference but I believe someone will know how to silence the predator even more.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

This is interesting.
    Firstly, this is my first PCP in 5.5. I also understand that it is not a .177 I am silencing, or rather trying too..

On your point. My logic tells (told) me the price of the pcp(but rather price of silencer) should not make a difference as the mechanics works the same. Air is released and the silencer does the rest (simplified too much?)

You however have proven otherwise.

I knew the AR900 is a budget pcp and were under no illusion as to what I should expect(I was MORE than pleasantly surprised with the bang for buck) but for some reason expected a bit more from the silencer.

With all being said, perhaps I am expecting too much from the bigger caliber?
    As it is now, I have not yet shot it outside as it is too loud according to my liking. I need to start actively patrolling my lawn as I can see the local bird species dwindling and the ones who's name we will not say, is getting out of hand

Does anyone on here own a "mouse fart" quiet PR900w?

REP: Outdoor Pitstop
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Mark from tula silencers, made a slip on silencer. It has 3 aluminium baffles inside. 25mm diameter, costs R700. Fits AA s400 as well

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rashaadk View Post
    Mark from tula silencers, made a slip on silencer. It has 3 aluminium baffles inside. 25mm diameter, costs R700. Fits AA s400 as well
    This is the exact one I bought from you with the rifle

I know they are good as I have read enough raving revies about the Tula silencers, hence I'm thinking I am expecting to much?

Sharp Shooter
    WP HFT/Springer Champ '15

User Info Menu

i prefer some kind of sound deadening material inside my silencers as this definitely helps a lot.
    Another thing is the velocity of the rifle makes a difference.
    if the rifle is "high power" it wil be louder than say a 12fpe cz200 or AAs400

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi
    How the rifle is set up plays a huge role, when I removed the regulator from my BSA R10 it was very quiet, but muzzle energy was low, I made several hammers of different weight, the heavier ones made the rifle very noisy and wasted a lot of air. Fitting a antibounce hammer also reduced the muzzle report, increased shot count.
    P.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I just got a slip on silencer, lucky enough to find one for LGV.
    somehow managed to take the front sight without any damage!

long story short, i tested it just now with JSB 8.44 @ 750fps it sounds pretty quite!
    the file attached is a comparison between this one and famous weihrauch silencer using my phone abt 50cm distance away.
    yes it's not the most accurate way but same device recording so you will get an idea...
    Attached Files Attached Files