Thread: Gun Bluing and restoring an old springer

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Default Gun Bluing and restoring an old springer

Gun Bluing. How is it done/ and can I do it myself.
    I have a very old Falke 80 that I inherited from my grandfather that was stuck away in my safe. I was cleaning up the safe today and saw the old rifle and decided I had to restore it NOW. I will need a new spring and seals (anyone know where I can get some in or around Pretoria) I fired a few shots but it seems there are one or two or maybe more pellets stuck in the barrel. Any suggestions on getting those out. Any advice restoring an old rifle like this will be appreciated. Ps I don?t want to spend too much money on this project.
    If I knew how I would post pics but I dont know how. I can only do the attach file thing but seems like a waste.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Use a rust remover to remove the bluing and re blue with a DIY kit which you should be able to get from a gunshop. Try to get the paste rather then the crystals, its much easier to work with. If the bluing doesn't come out like a factory finish or to your satisfaction which it probably won't, spray paint over with Hammerite. This works a treat. Remove the pellets with a cleaning rod and clean your barrel well afterwards removing all the excess lead. Q10 oil work well for this. If you can't find an original spring, you can get one made up at a spring manufacturer like springrite. Have fun...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I restored a Falke mod 80 for a friend a few years back. Paint the rifle and get it over with, homemade bluing just dont last. I bought the "strong" spring for the rifle and it was a waste, kicked like a mule and you couldn't hit a can at 20m.

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Where did you get seals for it? What about Powder coating it?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I got most of the parts from Hot Powder in Krugersdorp. A guy from PTA used to advertize in the Magnum magazine that he has parts for most rifles, will look it up for you over the weekend.

If you can get it powder coated for a good price , why not. Rifles like that has only centimental value (don't get me wrong, I really liked the one when it was completed) so the painting / bluing issue is totally up to you.

REP: Oom A's Airguns

User Info Menu

Can also try Danie van Rensburg in Cradock 072 455 2491. Hell of a nice bloke with an amazing collection of springer spares.

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

This is what the old seal or whatever you call it looks like. Gaar.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I once had to remove blocked pellets in a barrel by making a long drill bit by welding onto a piece of wire to reach where the blockage was. If ramming them out doesn't work and you also have to resort to this, drill from the breach end so you don't do anything to the barrel crown.

Once my barrel was clear it wasn't any the worse for wear and the rifle still fired as powerfully and as accurately, and looking inside the barrel I couldn't see any signs of the drill bit having damaged the rifling. It was a BSA Meteor.

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Tnx Huff, I removed the pellet in the barrel (wasnt really a problem after all) now looking for a new seal. I will visit all the gunsmiths in my area on Monday.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Saw yesterday a book called something to the effect of: 'Rifle Blueing and Browning' available at Exclusive books Santon. There was two copies in the firearms / sport section. Had a brief look thru, - mission, lots of chemicals and processes required.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I restored a BSF Underlever recently and had the bluing done professionaly at what I believe to be a good price. The rifle was bead blasted and it comes with a fine matt finish. If you want a bright shiny finish it will require polishing at a greater cost. I can recommend the services - it took one week and I am pleased with the result. You can contact Murray Burcherr @ 076 968 0365. Did my own bluing years ago and it does not work - paste or other is only for touch up.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Brimin, you are right that the bluingpast and jels are only for toch up. The pro bluing job is a hot liquid rusty process.
    Guncoating is a good and practical method and can be done in any colour and is just as good as bluing.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    I restored a Falke mod 80 for a friend a few years back. Paint the rifle and get it over with, homemade bluing just dont last. I bought the "strong" spring for the rifle and it was a waste, kicked like a mule and you couldn't hit a can at 20m.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO

To you guys Falke's might not be anything special - in the UK they are like rocking horse excrement and command high prices among collectors if in good condition.

I would be inclined to get it properly re-blued and do the best job you can to bring it back to as near as original functioning condition as possible.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Dale, here in SA some guys use rifles as crowbars and have no feeling for it. They say it's a working tool like the tool between their legs.