Thread: FFP Scopes

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Default FFP Scopes

As a newbie who had absolutely no interest in rifles until a few months ago, I have looked through a FFP scope a few times and really like it.

The idea that the reticle also zooms, sound like a nice to have for holdover etc. And what about range estimation/calculation using mildots. It seems that it should be easier with a reticle that also increases in size.

Before dropping money on one, I would like to hear some opinions from forum members who have actually shot with them. Is it all that it's hyped up to be?

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

One must simply look at competitive air rifle shooting.

I can't think of one single 'top gun' that uses a FFP scope, so that says a huge amount about the suitability?

To be honest, I have always been curious about this, so good question.

Anyone know something we don't?

Janitor?

Dale?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I'm no expert but I like the idea that I don't have to compensate for the magnification when determining holdover or if rangefinding. Along with mil turrets (instead of moa) this can potentially simplify shooting at varied ranges

Note of caution though....the reticle can get intrusively large and obscure target details at high mag and it can get very small/thin at low mag. Only a few manufacturers get the balance right so you really need to look through the FFP scope before buying it and cycle it through the extremes of the zoom range to see if it will work for you. Also you have to hope the mildot scale on the reticle is accurate....because you can't compensate with a touch of zoom if its not.

On a range with known distances and static targets we tend to shoot with higher magnifications and change the zoom less often. FFP not as useful here. However when the targets are moving it helps to set the scope at lower mag to get a wider angle of view (acquisition) and then zoom in if you want...this is where FFP can help.

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I have one on my Galahad, zero set on 50m, I absolutely LOVE it!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AYOBA! View Post
    I have one on my Galahad, zero set on 50m, I absolutely LOVE it!

Which one?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

When I started to consider shooting FT with my son, I thought that doing ranging was going to be a waste of time using mildots etc. I simply could not hold still enough to to accurately gauge how many mildots or fractions thereof.
    After realizing that I needed to lose some of the boep and get more flexible, I can now now sit close to something that resembles the deadman position. Now the damn target doesn't jump around anymore and I can hold much stiller than before.

Now like Bludlust, I'm beginning to wonder again about ranging using mildots or at least as an aide.
    I have a 10-50 Nikko that I bought from Snowbeast that I will use for FT. Just hoping that I will bond with it.

Must be the engineer in me - always questioning why not or why not his way.

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JXV View Post
    Which one?
    Discovery something, will have to check tonight

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Also looking at the Discovery. Pellet-guns.com is just down the road from where I live, and every time I'm there I take a peek through one, fighting the urge.
    Have a 6-24x Discovery (second focal) that I love and at R1600 or so, it's very good.

I tease my son that I can match him with his big Nikko and my el-cheapo Discovery when shooting at the range.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I have a FFP scope and will never (if i can afford it) go back to sfp. A lot of sfp scopes are only true at a low magnification (ie 10x) and when you actually want to use say 24 x mag, you have dial it down to 10x to use mildots and it is more difficult to see everything and estimate spacing if the target is a little further and smaller... and if time is an issue...With FFP you can range anyting at any convenient magnification, and have one less thing to think about (setting right magnification for range estimation and changing it back). I also love mills and not moa... For me Simplicity is Superiority.
    Last edited by Gert; 10-04-19 at 09:36.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

I think it depends a lot on what you want to do.

Back when Premier Reticle converted Leupolds were the must have in FT, most of these were FFP multi line reticles for aiming off. I would say from my own experience with them that at full magnification the reticles looked really thick - more like crossed planks than crosshairs!

I can see the validity of FFP with mildots for ranging/aiming off, but for me I prefer SFP reticles and dialling.

I would say horses for courses, but they just don't do it for what I want out of a scope.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I’m loving FFP scopes on my air rifles and CF rifles, makes holdover or dialing a pleasure at any magnification. Just make sure that the reticle and Turrets are in the same units, ie Mil / Mil and that they parallax can adjust down to 10 or 15m for Airguns . The Falcon FFP scopes are a pretty good place to start if you’re on a budget.

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JXV View Post
    Which one?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Yip, the same one I'm trying not to buy, and having to explain an unauthorized purchase to the wife.