Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Out of practice

  1. #1
    Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Default Out of practice

    Went shooting at Northcliffe yesterday after a 2 year break. Used to shoot on Sundays but then started cycling so gave it up until I retired last month.

    All my old bad habits had returned. Took a while to stop canting some shots and getting the trigger pull correct especially with my springer. After an hour some of the old muscle memory returned. Need to spend more time shooting to get back in the groove. Looking forward to it.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  2. #2
    Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Welcome back to Northcliff Gavin. I am sure you noticed all the improvements.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  3. #3
    Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Yip, very impressed, especially the entrance and braai areas now, used to be quite a challenge in the beginning to get from the gate to the shooting tables carrying all your stuff without breaking a leg with the mud and uneven ground and old stairs.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  4. #4
    Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GavinM View Post
    Went shooting at Northcliffe yesterday after a 2 year break. Used to shoot on Sundays but then started cycling so gave it up until I retired last month.

    All my old bad habits had returned. Took a while to stop canting some shots and getting the trigger pull correct especially with my springer. After an hour some of the old muscle memory returned. Need to spend more time shooting to get back in the groove. Looking forward to it.
    You are not alone, I started shooting FT again after a five year break and my scores tell the tale! :-o

    Interestingly my muscle memory for trigger control and positional shoots appears to be just fine, it is reading the wind that has gone lost to me completely as I just can't seem to get the yest of it on the long shots. Enough trigger time should remedy that though so ja practise, practise..
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  5. #5
    Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    David,

    If the link works, this is rather useful:

    Field Target Wind Trainer
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  6. #6
    Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    David,

    If the link works, this is rather useful:

    Field Target Wind Trainer
    Man I forgot about this, great practice behind the computer.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  7. #7
    Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

    SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    Man I forgot about this, great practice behind the computer.

    Does not make sense when applying 1246, and 1246 really works in reality. Still a bit of fun though.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  8. #8
    Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    David,

    If the link works, this is rather useful:

    Field Target Wind Trainer
    Hey this is neat!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    Does not make sense when applying 1246, and 1246 really works in reality. Still a bit of fun though.
    Blud how does the math apply for those numbers again?
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  9. #9
    Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

    SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DSF View Post
    Hey this is neat!

    - - - Updated - - -



    Blud how does the math apply for those numbers again?

    For JSB/AA 10.34 gr pellets traveling at around 710fps - the distance per km/h of wind at 90 degrees that the pellet will be moved:

    1mm @ 20m
    2mm @ 30m
    4mm @ 40m
    6mm @ 50m

    For JSB/AA 8.44 gr pellets traveling at around 780fps - the distance per km/h of wind at 90 degrees that the pellet will be moved:

    1mm @ 20m
    3mm @ 30m
    5mm @ 40m
    8mm @ 50m


    So what you need to PRACTICE, is your estimation of the wind speed in order to do the calculation. Ask The Beast from the East how he does his estimation/training. I've stood with an anomometer and he has guessed what the wind speed is pretty accurately, based purely on feel and the environment.

    Alternatively, in order to establish a baseline, you need to possess a calibrated windicator.

    Find a 'string' that flies lekker in the wind. Get hold of an anemometer and watch what the string does in a specific wind. Find out what the speed is when the thing is at 45 degrees angle and what it does in a high wind. Also what it does in a low wind. You can guess/estimate the rest.

    Once you have established those datum, it becomes very easy if you have a good memory of your times tables you learned at school (Yes, they are FINALLY being put to use).

    My particular windicator shows 9km/h wind at 45 deg angle. If it is flying at 90, it is at 15km/h plus, and it's simply a lottery thereafter (but we VERY seldom get those winds up here).



    Hereafter...

    You simply decide on what ANGLE of APPROACH (AoA) the wind is at. This is assisted by your windicator

    For simplicity's sake...

    If you peg the wind at 8km/h, and the AoA is 45 degrees, you would calculate on 4km/h as opposed to 8km/h

    Or, for a more refined calculation, if the wind AoA is slightly off 45 deg, then you would us a 1/3 wind coefficient. You would calculate on 2.5 or 3.



    Anything to add Mark_F?
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  10. #10
    Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    In that little program, two of the courses (Shebbear and Mendip) are places I have shot competitively on quite a number of occasions and the program replicates the conditions very nicely.

    I have experienced days when you are having to aim off a faceplate to make a kill, and have had days where trying to actually keep the damned gun on target in the wind is a mission, let alone picking an aiming point.
    Last edited by Dale; 18-04-19 at 16:05.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  11. #11
    Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Think yo missed the "0" on the mm's drift


    Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    For JSB/AA 10.34 gr pellets traveling at around 710fps - the distance per km/h of wind at 90 degrees that the pellet will be moved:

    1mm @ 20m
    2mm @ 30m
    4mm @ 40m
    6mm @ 50m

    For JSB/AA 8.44 gr pellets traveling at around 780fps - the distance per km/h of wind at 90 degrees that the pellet will be moved:

    1mm @ 20m
    3mm @ 30m
    5mm @ 40m
    8mm @ 50m


    So what you need to PRACTICE, is your estimation of the wind speed in order to do the calculation. Ask The Beast from the East how he does his estimation/training. I've stood with an anomometer and he has guessed what the wind speed is pretty accurately, based purely on feel and the environment.

    Alternatively, in order to establish a baseline, you need to possess a calibrated windicator.

    Find a 'string' that flies lekker in the wind. Get hold of an anemometer and watch what the string does in a specific wind. Find out what the speed is when the thing is at 45 degrees angle and what it does in a high wind. Also what it does in a low wind. You can guess/estimate the rest.

    Once you have established those datum, it becomes very easy if you have a good memory of your times tables you learned at school (Yes, they are FINALLY being put to use).

    My particular windicator shows 9km/h wind at 45 deg angle. If it is flying at 90, it is at 15km/h plus, and it's simply a lottery thereafter (but we VERY seldom get those winds up here).



    Hereafter...

    You simply decide on what ANGLE of APPROACH (AoA) the wind is at. This is assisted by your windicator

    For simplicity's sake...

    If you peg the wind at 8km/h, and the AoA is 45 degrees, you would calculate on 4km/h as opposed to 8km/h

    Or, for a more refined calculation, if the wind AoA is slightly off 45 deg, then you would us a 1/3 wind coefficient. You would calculate on 2.5 or 3.



    Anything to add Mark_F?
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  12. #12
    Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

    SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Whatchu mean Keefth?
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  13. #13
    Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    Whatchu mean Keefth?


    Read like my butt.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  14. #14
    Protea FT Team '16/'18
    National FT Champ '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours'15

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Beast of the East is ek Machiel Basson, en dit het 'n paar dak klim gedoen om wind en tou reg te kry en te lees
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  15. #15
    Protea FT Team '19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    The Sultan of Spring 2017

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Blud, 2 things:

    1:
    I don't do the wind quartering thing as you describe it. I do it as follows:
    A. Your perspective of the windicator is constant i.e. you are always looking at your windicator from the same angle (from behind the trigger.)
    B. I judge wind speed by the angle of the windicator (yes, and by how much I feel the wind on my body, but for purposes of this conversation let's ignore that), not by how much it has moved. Hopefully, the diagram will explain this better since they sound identical. In the diagram, the black line is the windicator stick and orange line is the string.

    This is both a 4km/h wind AND a 7km/h wind. The 4km/h is a full factor wind (i.e. across the line of the shot at 90), while the 7km/h is quartering (45 across the line of the shot.) But from my constant perspective, they create the same angle. My windicator is calibrated at full factor wind speeds so I treat both as 4km/h and do 1246. The wind quartering factor is "built into" how I use my windicator.

    2:
    You haven't addressed head and tail winds. Wind from behind pushes you high and wind into you pushes you low, but I don't have a method to determine how much. Should probably play with chairgun a bit to get some calculable idea.
    And speaking of hitting high, don't forget the rifleman's rule. But that's not wind-related.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums


Similar Threads

  1. Practice
    By johannes wepener in forum Airgun Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 13-06-14, 20:27
  2. Practice
    By gertvw in forum Club News | Shooting Events | Airgun Ranges
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-06-12, 20:34
  3. PLace to practice
    By Speedmaster in forum Club News | Shooting Events | Airgun Ranges
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-05-11, 17:48
  4. Where can I go to get some practice?
    By Mrs.Badger in forum Airgun Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-10-09, 10:30
  5. Practice
    By gavinp in forum Club News | Shooting Events | Airgun Ranges
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-06-07, 20:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Friends of Air Rifle SA