Thread: Nikko Stirling suspecting POI shift

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Nikko Stirling suspecting POI shift

I have a Kral Nemesis thats giving me a insane time zeroing.

I have a Nikko Stirling 10-40x56 scope on but it seems the POI shifts every now and again. like every 6-10 shots.
    It will jump from shooting bottom left to bottom right or dead center where it was zero'd

It does seem to be consistent height for the most part but not always.
    Just about the only place I cant get it to hit twice is the bullseye.

I had a very old 4x32 on before and it seems to have been ok but the sight picture is so abysmal i cant actually see the target behind the cross hairs properly so the group was about the same but it did seem more consistent.

So I need advice. what's more likely a place to start the scope or the rifle.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Make sure the action is properly secured to the stock...no loose screws or bolts.
    Clean the barrel
    Make sure the magazine/action is not damaging pellets when loading them
    Then try to borrow another scope.
    I once wasted an afternoon and a whole tin of pellets swapping scopes to troubleshoot similar zero jumping problems. Turned out the barrel was dirty.

Does the scope have springer history?

Good luck

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelScholtz View Post
    I have a Kral Nemesis thats giving me a insane time zeroing.

I have a Nikko Stirling 10-40x56 scope on but it seems the POI shifts every now and again. like every 6-10 shots.
    It will jump from shooting bottom left to bottom right or dead center where it was zero'd

It does seem to be consistent height for the most part but not always.
    Just about the only place I cant get it to hit twice is the bullseye.

I had a very old 4x32 on before and it seems to have been ok but the sight picture is so abysmal i cant actually see the target behind the cross hairs properly so the group was about the same but it did seem more consistent.

So I need advice. what's more likely a place to start the scope or the rifle.

Before you check your equipment, check yourself. It's highly unlikely that a gun will behave that erratically. Check everything mentioned above (excluding changing scopes etc.)

I do not know what level of shooter you are, but (radical) POI shifts can happen from an inconsistent technique. For instance... placement of your finger on the trigger blade, parallax error, snatching, touching the barrel.... the list is long.

Try and develop a consistent, repeatable process for each shot. When you see something positive happening, retain the process, or whatever it was that you did in a certain area of routine and try marginal changes elsewhere. You will develop a combination of processes that become muscle memory, and you will wonder why you though it was the equipment.

As a starting point, check parallax error first. It can result in a substantial (15mm @ 25m) poi shift if your eye is not placed exactly central to the ocular lens, and your crosshairs. On that particular scope, trying to set your parallax without a sidewheel is difficult. To check if you have a parallax error, focus on the target with the rifle on a bag so it does not move. Then, move your eye around, behind the scope. If the crosshairs move on the target... it's part of your problem!

Marksman

User Info Menu

I initially thought it was my skill. I then got a 2nd rifle and I consistently shoot bulls at 40m with it. I got the rifle just as a cheap 2nd gun but it shoots so nicely I don't want to fiddle with it at all. It a Nova Vista and accuracy is mind blowing.

As for parallax I followed all tutorials i can find in eliminating it and its seems that there is almost none, Reticle moves maybe 2mm on the target at 25m Could it be that a particular scope just doesn't suit your eyes ?

But I thing the best way to troubleshoot is change the scope and see how it affects it. That will either show me it is the scope or not.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I would remount the scope, check all the screws in the stock are tightened, clean the barrel... Other than that like mentioned before a parallax error, or a cant error, or a error from you, it's easy to say you shot perfectly with another gun, but a different gun means you hold it differently (unless the 2 guns are identical), it weighs more or less, it's longer or shorter ect, it might just suit your shooting style better then the 1 you struggling with...

Protea FT Team '19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    The Sultan of Spring 2017

User Info Menu

Have you tried different pellets (brand, shape, weight, batches) and different speeds?