Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking at getting into Field Target shooting

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Looking at getting into Field Target shooting

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new at this and reaching out for not only advice but maybe someone has some kit they have not advertised that may be ideal for my purpose.

So, I have played around a bit with break-necks in the "cheap" range, Gamo Shadow Hunter and used this to cull the Indian Mina issue in my garden.

Recently I purchased a Gamo CFX Royale with Nikko scope from a chap leaving for NZ, in great condition and I loved the wood stock. I know this is still bottom feeder stuff in the air gun world but the little experience I've had with it has been a lot of fun and I guess I'll hang on to this one simply as it puts a "smile on my dial" and the old school feel appeals to me.

I have now done a bit of snooping around and have a friend with a PCP CZ200 and he loves it. So after looking at all the various ways I really like the field target idea and would like to get involved with a PCP rifle.

My question is, I have a total budget of around 20K, rifle, scope, silencer (would need to practice at home and not create havoc with neighbours so noise levels at bird farting spec is the aim - Yes I know the rules and laws about firing in the suburbs but if quiet I can keep stuff to myself.) plus charge station and refill cylinder.

I have been advised an Air Arms S400 MPR FT with a 10-50X60 scope would be the ideal setup and from the looks of it seems like a great fit but some feedback from people in the know and maybe if you have kit like this and want to chat it would be great.

I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks,

Ian

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '19

User Info Menu

Hi Ian, welcome to the forum.

For your budget, I would take a serious look at Greg’s (The Twig) EV2 FT kit in the for sale section. Full FT kit ready to go with custom built stock by the legend James Mitchel (Atom Precision Air Rifles). Can’t go wrong with an EV as a first FT rifle.

Then when you ready to start the FT scene, pop round to Mildots FTC and come and practice at our club. Drop me a PM for details.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback, I looked at his EV2 but no cylinder and charge station. He's also indicated 20K not negotiable so I'm close but not quite there on the budget.

Being new at this and trying to be realistic PLUS the rifle must be a resellable unit I will need some advise here please??

Thanks!

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Agree with Young Gun.
    Will battle to find a similar rig for that kind of money.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks Keith, question is what would I need to complete the rig? I guess a cylinder and charge station, anyone here with these they are willing to sell to complete?

Excuse my ignorance but any idea on the sound levels of this EV2?
    Last edited by ravenflight; 14-05-19 at 23:15. Reason: Quick add on

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I'll contact Greg to discuss. Thanks for the feedback so far guys!

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Be patient and look out for good deal on an S400 package.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DSF View Post
    Be patient and look out for good deal on an S400 package.
    I agree with DSF. Also new to the sport - in fact coming Saturday will be my first league shoot. I joined to shoot with my son.

I bought a S400 from someone on the forum for R7k about 3 months ago. Not regulated, but tuned to shoot 780fps for FT. Scoped it initially with a cheap (but very nice for the price) Discovery 6-24 that I had laying around.
    When my son did the ranging with his big Nikko (also bought on the forum for half price of new), this rifle shoots where I aim, with very few flyers. I blame the shooter for the flyers.

I love this rifle so much, I named her.
    Replaced the Discovery with an older Nikko 10-50 TargetMaster also bought on the forum. So the kit I'm shooting with cost about R13k (rifle, scope, filling station, dive tank and hamster - made it myself).

Past Saturday, my 11 year old daughter, whom has never shot before, managed to hit a 15mm swinger 4x out of 10 shots at 42 meters at the range. Beginner's luck.

So watch the for sale forums. There are some awesome deals to be had. You can also peek at Gun Africa Classifieds.

If you're a bit patient, Bludlust has promised to do a review on the 10-40x Nikko (retail about R6-7k I think) suitability to use for FT ranging.

Best advice - come to one of the FT league shoots and speak to the shooters. Will will not find a more friendly, helpful bunch of people anywhere.

Next shoot is this Saturday at ERAC (close to O.R Tambo / Johannesburg International airport).

PS. That EV for sale is a good deal, even if it's on you budget limit. A filling station and an used, up-to-date dive bottle will add about R3000-3500 to that.
    Last edited by Phats; 15-05-19 at 07:26.

Protea FT Team '14/'15/'16/'18
    National FT Champ '14/'15
    WFTF Master

User Info Menu

I always say that the cheapest way to get into FT shooting is to buy the right kit the first time. I agree that the S400 is a very good rifle, I have one and it is fantastic, but the lack of adjustability on the stock limits it to FT use. A 10-50 power scope is essential to FT for ranging. I would also recommend the FT rig from Greg, I think the EV rifles are very good, they do have after sales support in SA and I'm sure someone can lend you a cylinder and filling station until your budget allows for it. If you urgently need a cylinder, come speak to me. The only thing you'll need after that is practice, more practice and then some more practice.

Hope to see you at the FT shoots soon!

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
    Hi Ian, welcome to the forum.

For your budget, I would take a serious look at Greg’s (The Twig) EV2 FT kit in the for sale section. Full FT kit ready to go with custom built stock by the legend James Mitchel (Atom Precision Air Rifles). Can’t go wrong with an EV as a first FT rifle.

Then when you ready to start the FT scene, pop round to Mildots FTC and come and practice at our club. Drop me a PM for details.

WHAT HE SAID!!!!

Also, come to Northcliff Country Club on Friday afternoon and meet some of the guys.

Perhaps Greggiepoo can bring the EV around for you to test/try out?

also... bring 6 Zamaleks as an introduction sacrifice.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

There are forms of FT such as HFT and SFT that possibly require less outlay....but then you would need to upgrade items like the scope to get into FT and ultimately spend more.

So decide for sure which branch of the sport you want to enter and target the correct equipment 1st time.

Owning a PCP comes with the unavoidable need to outlay for a bottle and fillstation....about 3.5k if you shop around.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ravenflight View Post
    Thanks Keith, question is what would I need to complete the rig? I guess a cylinder and charge station, anyone here with these they are willing to sell to complete?

Excuse my ignorance but any idea on the sound levels of this EV2?
    With the correct silencer, it can be made birdfart quiet.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Ian,

First piece of advice I would offer is go along to the clubs and see what FT is about before even contemplating spending any cash.

It is very easy to get confused about what kit is 'best' for FT.

Now, I haven't shot competitive FT for several years now so feel free to ignore anything I say.

In terms of a rifle for FT, I wouldn't get hung up too much on adjustable everything. Whilst there can be certain advantages, you can just as easily disadvantage yourself if you don't know what to adjust. Lots of people have mega-adjustable kit but aren't mega shooters, underlying skill is far more important than whizzy gizmos.

I would suggest that if a nice used S400 Classic (don't go for the carbine as shot count would be too low and don't get an FAC version) turns up for sale, then that is a very good base rifle, capable of the required level of accuracy (bear in mind that South African shooter Jason Guthries took third place in the 2006 FT worlds only seven point behind the winner, I don't believe he would have done better for having a more adjustable rifle, he was up against more experienced shooters).

If it has a standard beech (or walnut) stock don't be afraid to modify it to your needs - cutting and raising the cheekpiece is not overly difficult, it doesn't need to be adjustable, just setting to the right height with fixed posts for a good cheek weld with your scope is ample. Adding a 'hamster' isn't difficult either.

A key element in FT is going to be the scope, to be perfectly honest this is more important than the rifle. The ability to consistently range find with a high degree of accuracy is critical to success. One of the main scopes of choice in FT is the Nikko-Stirling 10-50x60 with the likes of the Sightron having a big following as well. Choose wisely and expect the scope to be a big chunk of your budget.

A home modified S400 with a reliable range finding scope will see you to greater success than the likes of an EV2 with a mundane scope.

Of course the last element is learning to use your kit - all the best kit in the world is meaningless without practice.

Protea FT Team '16/'18
    National FT Champ '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours'15

User Info Menu

Ek het vir jou 'n filler en 8.44 grain blik Petrone wat jy kan verniet kry by my, wil darem net se Regy is die sponser, ek hanteer dit net,ek het met 'n cfx royal begin skiet in 2004, en toe 'n s400 gekoop net daarna met 'n lynx teleskoop. Het lank met dit geskiet tot ek wou net daai 3 punte meer skiet, wat ek dink meer in die kop is. Kom geniet dit eers leen die manne se gewere skiet ek kyk wat jy van hou, leen meen ek skiet saam hulle op die dag of na die tyd, sms my op 0747707095 as jy wil rel wanneer en waar wil jy jou filler kom haal en blik petrone

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

All I can say is a huge thank you, the feedback and advice has been nothing short of fantastic, wow!

I think that waiting for an Air Arms S400 Classic or MPR is the right way and then see if I can find a Nikko Stirling like Dale mentioned, I'm drooling over the Sightron but the Nikko is also a beautiful sight, I'll try and be patient..

Baie dankie Machiel en Regy en ook Jan S. ek kan al klaar sien hier is great mense betrokke in die sport en sien uit om julle almal te ontmoet.

Weereens baie dankie!
    Last edited by ravenflight; 15-05-19 at 20:20.