Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springer shooters

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Springer shooters

After today's attempts to shoot my HW97K accurately, I have come to the conclusion i just don't have that skill. PCP is no problem, bad shot is me, I can fix easy peasy.
    Springer, wow, what another bag of worms
    So here it is
    RESPECT to those that can and do shoot these air rifles accurately and with precision
    I Can't

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Like everything else in this world it is just something you learn.
    I sold all my pcp's a couple of years ago simply because they felt
    to clinical.
    Start by shooting over a sandbag and go from there, the rewards
    are great.

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Amen to that!

I put my PCP 'S on hold for a while and since last week acquired 2 springers - starting off with a brand new HW30 s - day 2 I wanted to throw in the towel and was encouraged by a friend to hang in there.

700 pellets later and viewing every video and or article on the planet the HW30 is smooth and I am able to hold my own up to 25m from the bench.

This week a HW97K made its appearance and I shall pursue that on the morrow.

Har ! Har! ... me Mateys

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

My HW97 likes to be handheld even when shooting over a rest; front hand on the rest, rifle on hand....and in the same place everytime.

It also helps to find the right pellet. Mine is best with 4.52 JSB exact and 4.53 almost as good. Everything else sprays wider groups.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Look up the artillery hold and I agree always place a hand on the front bag rest. Also remember to follow through for some time after
    firing. My Hw77 is not hold sensitive and I also use JSB Exact 8.44 gn 4.52 pellets.
    As others have mentioned keep trying they are much more rewarding than a PCP as you have to work at getting good results.

And also: https://www.airrifle.co.za/library/A...r_Shooting.pdf

Sharp Shooter
    WP HFT/Springer Champ '15

User Info Menu

Practice practice practice

Sharp Shooter
    WP HFT/Open Champ '16
    WP HFT/Springer Champ '17
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Look up the artillery hold and I agree always place a hand on the front bag rest. Also remember to follow through for some time after
    firing. My Hw77 is not hold sensitive and I also use JSB Exact 8.44 gn 4.52 pellets.
    As others have mentioned keep trying they are much more rewarding than a PCP as you have to work at getting good results.

And also: https://www.airrifle.co.za/library/A...r_Shooting.pdf
    This is sound advice. After shooting HFT anf FT with various springers, I have 3 small pieces of advice:
    1. Springers aren't thieves... hold them very lightly and let the natural springer action happen. If you hold them tight they get upset and don't shoot consistently.
    2. Follow through with a light trigger pull is key.
    3. Practice

Enjoy. Some days I atually miss my boing boing.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '19
    The Sultan of Spring 2019

User Info Menu

I absolutely live for springers. Yes I own 2 pcps but I rarely shoot them. I just love the challenge of shooting a springer. There is nothing a satisfying as a springer for me.

Now Im an FT shooter and I enjoy and already difficult sport and to ad springer to the mix makes it even more difficult. But I realy enjoy it. I like challenging things. And pcp is way to boring

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Juan View Post
    I absolutely live for springers. Yes I own 2 pcps but I rarely shoot them. I just love the challenge of shooting a springer. There is nothing a satisfying as a springer for me.

Now Im an FT shooter and I enjoy and already difficult sport and to ad springer to the mix makes it even more difficult. But I realy enjoy it. I like challenging things. And pcp is way to boring
    Go look at this young man's scores, he is shooting pcp scores with a springer!
    Yes it can be done.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Juan View Post

Ahhhh the Joie d vivre of youth.

I agree.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

After having a chat with Juan on Saturday I'm also very keen to get a decent springer. But for now, I need to work on some very basic shooting skills before complicating my life.

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I got my hands on an LGV Challenger last week and was thoroughly impressed. The rifle provided it has some filler in the stock is well capable of PCP accuracy. After sighting in and setting the scope to my shooting style the rifle was doing 15mm kill zones on our HFT targets. The satisfaction you get from shooting a springer is something you cannot replicate with other styles of air rifles.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkimiah View Post
    After today's attempts to shoot my HW97K accurately, I have come to the conclusion i just don't have that skill. PCP is no problem, bad shot is me, I can fix easy peasy.
    Springer, wow, what another bag of worms
    So here it is
    RESPECT to those that can and do shoot these air rifles accurately and with precision
    I Can't
    Well, you can learn the skill if you are willing to put the effort in.

You might also find those 'bad shots' with your pcp rifle will disappear as well if you learn the consistency a springer needs.

A pcp is very forgiving and will mask poor technique.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phats View Post
    After having a chat with Juan on Saturday I'm also very keen to get a decent springer. But for now, I need to work on some very basic shooting skills before complicating my life.
    You will learn those skills more effectively with a springer than a pcp.

Learning the basics with a springer is harder, no doubt about it, but the benefits of absolute consistency it will force upon you will translate into better performance with a pcp.

The 'laid back' handling of a pcp will not translate into shooting a spring rifle well...............

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I totally agree with you. Quite a few guys I have spoken with started with springers (Bludlust, Mark_F and Machiel if memory serves me well).
    Mine is a typical case of maybe buying something too soon, rather than waiting a little longer.

By complicating my life, I mean having to inform the missus that I would like to buy another rifle......