Thread: Scope mounting position vs POI

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Default Scope mounting position vs POI

Having just done my first league FT shoot the past Saturday, which I enjoyed tremendously, I want make some small adjustments.

On Saturday I found it extremely awkward to adjust the focus with my right hand with no wheel, while trying to find the ever elusive target.

I need to move the scope back by 10-20mm, so that I can fit the small ranging wheel that came with the scope. This will make the task of focusing with my right hand much easier.
    I would really like to do the next league shoot at Nomads, but don't have time to get to a range to verify POI / clicks.

I searched the forum, but cannot find any info regarding this. How will this movement affect the POI?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Whenever i have removed and refitted a scope, even to the same position, there is always a small shift and it is necessary to re-zero. Surely there is an opportunity to get sighted in beforehand at the comp venue?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

There usually is a sighting range. As a newbie to all of this I have no idea as to how severe the shift might be, and am afraid that I may run out of time on the day.

If I'm not 100% sure that the rifle shoots where I aim, it will end up to be a day wasted to learn something about the wind.
    With my current skill level I really need to be sure about the POI and I need all the help/advice available and opportunity to learn.
    Last edited by Phats; 20-05-19 at 08:35.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Swing past Northcliff on a Friday afternoon and the guys will sort you out in no time - whatever your problem.

What scope is it?

If you can get a larger ranging wheel in the meantime, it will help a huge amount.

Perhaps someone has something laying around?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I have the Nikko Targetmaster 10-50x60.

I am busy with the ranging wheel. Have to order some PCBs from China within the next week or so - thinking about to make it out of stacked PCBs. Will make a nice conversation piece.
    For the moment I'm trusting Daniel to do the ranging for us.

I thought about getting to Northcliff on Friday - just been a bit hectic the last few weeks.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I don't know if it's just my shooting style or what, I've recently moved my scopes back a bit (probably the same distance range you're talking about doing) to allow a shooting position where my shoulder isn't so far back and I haven't noticed a difference in POI. If there is a difference it is not enough to warrant spending a long time on the range re-zeroing my scope. You should be able to do any adjustments before the shoot starts.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I'm thinking/hoping that it will just be a case of maybe resetting the zero a click or two, and that the click chart will remain the same.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

The shooting in range is there for you to check your zero position for that particular day. If zero moves from your initial zero, add or subtract those clicks from your click chart.

Protea FT Team '14/'15/'16/'18
    National FT Champ '14/'15
    WFTF Master

User Info Menu

If your scope height remains the same, the click chart will stay the same. It should only be a case of resetting your zero by a click or two. Its always easier to move the mounts back than having to re-align the scope when loosening the scope and moving the scope back with the mounts remaining where they are. This obviously depends on whether you're able to move only the mounts. Remember, a scope of which the elevation adjustment is not 100% aligned with the vertical, will have left / right shifts at different ranges.

There is usually more than enough time to do zero adjustments on the day of the league. Only risk is if there is too much wind, it makes it harder.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '19
    The Sultan of Spring 2019

User Info Menu

I have moved my scope back and fort a few times in the past 6 months. Haven't noticed any difrence. Just be sure to verify your 25m zero and check your windage on the closer stuff on the sightin range.This is how I verify my elevation and windage before each league on the sightin range. After that I will move to longer ranges but wil ignore left and right movement because of the wind.. Because I know my scope is mounted level