Thread: Honeycomb shades

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Honeycomb shades

Hi airgunners

I've been reading on the internet about honeycomb shades for the scope or ARD's and a lot of people are reporting distortion.

What are your guys opinions?
    Do you experience distortion?
    If you do how bad is it?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Due to the lack of replies I take it these aren't very popular. ???

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Don't think they have been used much on this side, hence the lack of replies.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

my opinion....so you spend a lot of $$$ to buy a scope with expensive glass lenses that are precision ground and coated to enhance light transmission....and then you put something in front that partially blocks off the light travelling from target area to scope.

Why would you do that? It MUST degrade image quality whereas a regular long cylindrical sunshade cannot (unless its diameter is too small).

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JXV View Post
    my opinion....so you spend a lot of $$$ to buy a scope with expensive glass lenses that are precision ground and coated to enhance light transmission....and then you put something in front that partially blocks off the light travelling from target area to scope.

Why would you do that? It MUST degrade image quality whereas a regular long cylindrical sunshade cannot (unless its diameter is too small).
    What He said!!

Marksman

User Info Menu

If I can chip in here, the above statement is absolutely correct.
    Honeycomb shades are a compromise, to limit light reflecting off your riflescopes's objective/front lens.
    Optically this compromise is necessary only where you worry about this problem- unlikely that your average airgunner is concerned.
    This device was brought about, as most technological improvements usually are by war. If your riflescope light reflection is seen by the opposition, there is a whole lot of ordinance heading for your spot. Maybe this could be translated to a hunter -rifle/conventional (not air) not wanting to be seen by the quarry?
    Why lose clarity/resolution if you don't need to. If the sun bothers your image the long tubular shades are perfect
    Regards
    Karl
    Last edited by KarlH; 27-05-19 at 12:19.

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Interesting...... Just yesterday I went for a shoot and I tried with and without the honeycomb thing, it made no difference at all. I was shooting at 50m and further and it was pellet on the target every time.
    Scope was on 20x zoom......

- - - Updated - - -

Using a Discovery 6-24x50 SF, clarity stayed the same....

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AYOBA! View Post
    Interesting...... Just yesterday I went for a shoot and I tried with and without the honeycomb thing, it made no difference at all. I was shooting at 50m and further and it was pellet on the target every time.
    Scope was on 20x zoom......

- - - Updated - - -

Using a Discovery 6-24x50 SF, clarity stayed the same....

The honeycomb will also reduce stray light that bounces around inside the scope causing flare and milkiness in the image. The benefits of this might even outweigh any image degradation caused by the honeycomb grid in front of your lens ....but a conventional sunshade will do it better. As KarlH pointed out it is mainly designed to prevent reflections off your scope that could give your position away in a combat situation.

Image degradation would be worst at low magnification (and at the edges of the image ) when the scope gathers light from a wider angle. So a good scope at high mag. may not suffer ill effects
    Last edited by JXV; 27-05-19 at 18:17.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks guys for the feedback and some "Interesting" (as Ayoba would say, LOL!) views.