Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a decent boing rifle

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Choosing a decent boing rifle

Hi guys
    I have decided to take the leap into the dark side and try my hand at shooting a springer. I only have pcp rifles and don't really know the agricultural equipment that well, (only teasing I am very impressed by a friend's modified Walther LGU)

I will only consider the under lever 16 joule models.
    It seems that the 3 best models are Walther LGU, Weirauch HW97 and Air Arms TX200.
    Please could the owners of these rifles give me some honest feedback on their experience, I have done a fair bit of research on google and each rifle obviously has it's own characteristics, good and not so good.
    Seems the Walther's trigger is not very good.
    TX200 is hold sensitive.
    Weirauch can have a bit of twang in its firing cycle.
    What are your opinions.

Thanks.
    P.

Sharp Shooter
    WP HFT/Springer Champ '15

User Info Menu

In my opinion the Lgu is big and heavy. The trigger can be made better but with a rowan trigger blade replacement. The 97 is very nice, easy to work on and modify but it realy does need work te get the best out of it. The TX200 fitted with a 22mm piston is the latest craze and very nice to shoot. But standard the tx is more hold sensitive than the other two. Also the anti bear trap is a irritation and the cocking lever feels flimsy. Just my opinion.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Start blindly with the one that feels the best in your hands.
    Shoot it until you understand it, then move on to the next affair.
    Keep enjoying how they all out shoot you time after time.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '19
    The Sultan of Spring 2019

User Info Menu

In my mind you only have 2 choices. TX200 or TX200HC. I have 2 HCs and one full lenght TX200.
    The HC for me is much less holdsensitive than the full lenght version. .

Keep in mind that any TX from the factory is absolutely a shit gun to shoot. Here is where the LGU has a slight advantage. In std form they are nice shooters. Just the trigger is nothing near a TX CD trigger and never will be.

If you are like me and you like to modify stuff the TX200 wil be a good platform. You can get them shooting very nice with verry little locktime and much less holdsensitivity..

As for HW 97.. I personally dont like them. . I would stay away from them. I had one, and will never buy one again.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi all
    Thanks for your feedback so far.
    Mr H I only shot a friends LGU and he has modified it already so that test is not a true reflection of the standard rifle, but I will definately modify whatever I decide on.
    Ketty en klip, I hope to shoot all 3 rifles before I make a final decision.
    Juan, I love to modify and tinker, can't leave anything alone. Why do you say the Weirauch is not any good?
    Thanks again for your feedback..
    Rgds
    P.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I currently have the LGV, although its the break barrel version I must say out the box it shoots outstanding and you will battle to find any rifle to shoot better out the box.
    It has not been modified, so is still standard. Although the standard trigger is not fantastic it is still tunable to be able to shoot this rifle fantastic all the way out to 60m.
    You won't make a mistake going with the LGU.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buksie View Post
    Hi all
    Thanks for your feedback so far.
    Mr H I only shot a friends LGU and he has modified it already so that test is not a true reflection of the standard rifle, but I will definately modify whatever I decide on.
    Ketty en klip, I hope to shoot all 3 rifles before I make a final decision.
    Juan, I love to modify and tinker, can't leave anything alone. Why do you say the Weirauch is not any good?
    Thanks again for your feedback..
    Rgds
    P.

I have to disagree to an extent wth Juan.

While the TX series is FANTASTIC, you PAY a premium for the superb engineering.

I have owned and shot all three premium rifles... The 97K, the TX HC and the LGU.

If you like to fiddle and tune, then the 97K platform is the way to go.

The engineering is robust, and the rekord trigger, if you understand how it works, can be tuned to perfection.

The LGU, while very easy to shoot, has a trigger mechanism that is too finicky.

There are two ways to look at it - Quality to price and then in reverse. The TX at the top on quality, and very little to choose between the LGU and the 97K.

If I had to shoot springer competitively again I would look to buy a 97K as a platform.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Juan didn't say HW97 is no good, he said he doesn't like them. Must admit mine has some twang in out-the-box condition but remarkably accurate. Now that it's had about a tin of pellets through it I'm considering stripping it for a polish and to fit a spring guide and maybe to polish the trigger too.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '19

User Info Menu

At the end of the day its your decision wich one you take.. For me the easy tuning capabilities of the TX200 and the availability of spares here in SA wins hands down.

There is nothing wrong with 97 or LGU. I just like the TX200s more. This is just my personal prefrence.

Come to a league shoot. Shoot both my TX200s and you can shoot Derek's 97 aswell. All 3 of them are nicely tuned.

And you can then decide for yourself wich one you like most.

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Reminds me of the time your arse was kicked by a plastic boinger....standing position out of the shoulder with a time limit.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    I have to disagree to an extent wth Juan.

While the TX series is FANTASTIC, you PAY a premium for the superb engineering.

I have owned and shot all three premium rifles... The 97K, the TX HC and the LGU.

If you like to fiddle and tune, then the 97K platform is the way to go.

The engineering is robust, and the rekord trigger, if you understand how it works, can be tuned to perfection.

There are two ways to look at it - Quality to price and then in reverse. The TX at the top on quality, and very little to choose between the LGU and the 97K.

If I had to shoot springer competitively again I would look to buy a 97K as a platform.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Seems the Walther's trigger is not very good.
    TX200 is hold sensitive.
    Weirauch can have a bit of twang in its firing cycle.
    If you haven't spotted this review, have a read through it:

The Walther LGU Air Rifle | Review by Dale Foster ~ Air Rifle SA Forums

There is also a thread in this section of the forum with comments following on from this review:

The Walther LGU Air Rifle - review by Dale Foster ~ Air Rifle SA Forums

And one about the trigger:

LGU / LGV Trigger System ~ Air Rifle SA Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Juan View Post
    Keep in mind that any TX from the factory is absolutely a shit gun to shoot. Here is where the LGU has a slight advantage. In std form they are nice shooters. Just the trigger is nothing near a TX CD trigger and never will be.
    First off that is a sweeping comment from someone who hasn't shot the Mk1 and Mk2 TX's which had the shorter stroke piston. Out of the box these were phenomenal guns, but as with any production item would still respond well to some light fettling here and there. I had one from the very first batch of Mk1's around 1990 and it was a lovely shooter.

I don't think Air Arms made a good move with the Mk3 by lengthening the stroke and weaker main spring, yes slightly easier cocking, but a lazier feeling firing cycle that needs even more consistency to master.

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    the rekord trigger, if you understand how it works, can be tuned to perfection.

The Rekord is a good trigger and can be set up to be nice, but to be perfectly honest the design and construction of the Air Arms CD unit on the TX kicks the Rekord down the rankings.

The CD unit is a copy of a trigger unit known as the Venom Mach 1 trigger - these trigger units that could be obtained for use in HW rifles cost more for the trigger unit alone, when they were available, than an HW77 or TX200 Mk1 rifle new out of the box.

The AA unit is good out of the box, but doesn't have the level of hand finishing and fitting of the Mach 1, however, strip it and polish the appropriate places, reassemble with the correct lubricant and most importantly know how to set it up and it is the equal to the Mach 1 trigger and I can say that with confidence as I have had a Venom HW77 with a Mach 1 trigger.

The LGU trigger is actually an extremely good trigger unit, let down by a poorly thought out trigger blade that does not use the available leverage the design offers to its best potential. Again a little light polishing and a properly designed trigger blade and the LGU trigger will be up there with the best.

My own view of the three rifles is the LGU is best from the box needing very little work on the power plant to perform well and really only needs a trigger blade upgrade. Next if you want to customise, the TX200 has the overall best engineering and is the easiest system to work on. The HW is a solidly built rifle but needs more work to get the best out of it.

At the end of the day your cash, your choice.
    Last edited by Dale; 28-05-19 at 12:40.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

interesting read and good info !
    as I'm also in the market for underlever springer, TX200/HW97/LGU, cant decide which one to pick...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the feedback.
    Juan I looked at a few youtube videos on tuning the various rifles and it does look like the TX200 is very simple to take apart. Not really a determining factor but there are some nice mods available for the Air Arms, but the weihrauch and Walther have similar mods. Are there local guys that makes drop in kits like tbt from UK?
    I will see what rifles becomes available here on the forum and elsewhere and then decide.
    Thanks all for your input.
    Rgds
    P.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

HI Guys

If you would like to drive to Roodepoort this weekend come shoot the HW97k at my place.
    It is my all time favourite gun and I own several.
    PM me i interested.

- - - Updated - - -

Juan I looked at a few youtube videos on tuning the various rifles and it does look like the TX200 is very simple to take apart. Not really a determining factor but there are some nice mods available for the Air Arms, but the weihrauch and Walther have similar mods. Are there local guys that makes drop in kits like tbt from UK?
    I will see what rifles becomes available here on the forum and elsewhere and then decide.
    Rgds
    P.

Come shoot the 97 this weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ovaheat View Post
    interesting read and good info !
    as I'm also in the market for underlever springer, TX200/HW97/LGU, cant decide which one to pick...
    Maybe considder the Pro Sport too?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '19

User Info Menu

Rgds
    P.
    We all import springs and seals..
    I can help you with a kit. PM me or whatsapp me. You should still have my number..