Thread: JSB Match Diabolo Exact .177 - 4.53 vs 4.52

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default JSB Match Diabolo Exact .177 - 4.53 vs 4.52

Hi everyone,

I have noticed that I have a few tins of the JSB Match Diabolo .177 pellets but some show 4.53 on the bottom label and others 4.52.

Question is what is the difference in as far as performance vs accuracy, if any?

Thank you in advance.

Ian

Protea FT Team '16/'18
    National FT Champ '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours'15

User Info Menu

Ian, as jy Mildots gaan skiet kan ek jou sê, want so baie te sms gaan 'n ruk vat

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Hi Ian,

Theoretically, the size is the head diameter but in reality the pellets haven't read the labels and often climb into the wrong tins.
    Personally I've found 4.53 are better, but that is just my view.
    Most importantly is finding the right batch number that works well in your rifle. This means getting a few tins of different batches and carefully doing groupings to determine which ones are best.
    When you find that one that stands out, go and buy as many tins/reams of that batch as you can afford.
    Happy hunting

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Machiel View Post
    Ian, as jy Mildots gaan skiet kan ek jou sê, want so baie te sms gaan 'n ruk vat

Lui blikemmer

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Dankie Machiel en ek weet dis heelwaarskynlik 'n chat om in persoon te he maar ek kan nie Mildots maak nie, ek moet my seun by die koshuis gaan ondersteun met rugby. Maar as ons my twee gewere Sondag kan uitsorteer dan is beide ek en my seun by Wonderboom volgende Saterdag. So ons het twee gewere wat ranges gemerk moet word op die scope wiele asook dan 25m zero en nuwe clickcharts vir beide. Ek gaan dit probeer uitsorteer Sondag by Northcliff maar tyd is bietjie teen my maar gaan my bes probeer.

Ons sal daai pellet chat nog he, belowe.
    Last edited by ravenflight; 28-05-19 at 22:42.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks Keith,

Not being near to a range and only limited time on weekends makes it hard to go and really shoot and list performance of each type and batch, I would love to though as I tend to crunch numbers and related.

I'll try the 4.53 as I need to order tonight with bits I need before the weekend, I'll order a few tins to compare.

Thanks again!

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '15/'17

User Info Menu

Last edited by Juniork; 29-05-19 at 16:01.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Here is my take on head size.

A while ago I got my hands on a pelletgauge from the USA.
    With great gusto I started sizing pellets.

Bear in mind, pellets I buy I first inspect to confirm that it is a good batch, according to my experience of what a good batch should look like.

Measuring a tin of 4.52's I found that about half measured 4.52 and half 4.51.
    This was replicated when measuring a tin of 4.53's, half 4.53 and half 4.52.
    Here and there was a pellet that measured 2 sizes smaller or bigger, I would say less than 1% of the tin, these I discarded.

I the approached Machiel( FT Protea) to do a practical test with my Air Arms MPR at 50m.
    He shot 10 shot groups with both the 4.51 and 4.52 measured pellets.

Results showed that the 4.52's shot higher by about one centimetre than the 4.51's.
    At 25m there was no observable difference in point of impact.

I have also measured pellets from what I consider to be a bad batch, there the variances were much larger.

In my opinion the little sticker at the bottom of a JSB tin is at best an estimated guess, and at worst a total thumb-suck!
    Last edited by Pellet pusher; 29-05-19 at 20:21.