Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCP or Springer for a young new shooter

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default PCP or Springer for a young new shooter

Hi everyone,

So as we venture into this game it seems we need to look at adding how my youngest boy of 11 can also shoot with us. My CFX Royale is way too heavy for him, my cheap Gamo Shadow Hunter is better in weight but he is unable to load this breakneck by himself, meaning we are constantly interrupted to load for him. He wants a PCP but I am not in the market to drop R 7 500 on another S400 right now, even though that may be the right option.....

So, knowing he's not going to shoot FT with us and will only really be shooting at the NC range I thought maybe a cheaper PCP would be the answer as it's really only plinking at a target for him at this stage.

Any ideas please?

Thanks!

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

I would suggest that if it is only for plinking, go with a better quality spring gun such as an HW30S for now.

The HW30S is renowned for being a pleasant and accurate spring rifle, small enough and easy cocking for a junior to shoot but meaty enough that adults can enjoy them as well.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    I would suggest that if it is only for plinking, go with a better quality spring gun such as an HW30S for now.

The HW30S is renowned for being a pleasant and accurate spring rifle, small enough and easy cocking for a junior to shoot but meaty enough that adults can enjoy them as well.

What Dale said, but in addition, it will also be considered somewhat of an ASSET, that you can (easily) sell when requiring an upgrade. Nothing worse than buying based on bullshit sales talk, and then sitting with it because nobody in the know, wants it.

Spend money to save money.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

You can use my HW30 for him to make sure the wants to shoot for more than once a month at the range. Don't drop more money on this sport unless you really want to. HW30/S raely come up for sale.

Marksman

User Info Menu

If you decide on PCP the BSA ulta is unreal.
    I got one of the forum here a month ago and my daughter is using it and loving it.
    "only" around 20 shots per fill but the small tank means its light as a feather.
    its also incredibly accurate,
    She is a novice and was grouping 15mm at 20m

If you want more power the Nova vista is very good value for money.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

What about a Artemis CR600w it uses CO2 canisters, its very similar to a pcp and is very accurate, shoots about 600fps, it's small and light...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks Kw, I'm not keen on the CO2 canister idea as I know I'll end up having to buy boxes of CO2 canisters.

We'll chat with MikeB about his offer and if anyone has an HW30 they are no longer using and willing to sell I may be interested.

Thanks again everyone for all the advice and feedback, much appreciated.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ravenflight View Post
    Thanks Kw, I'm not keen on the CO2 canister idea as I know I'll end up having to buy boxes of CO2 canisters.

We'll chat with MikeB about his offer and if anyone has an HW30 they are no longer using and willing to sell I may be interested.

Thanks again everyone for all the advice and feedback, much appreciated.

You are taking the best route.

CO2 guns are fun until the cartridge gets stuck, you run out of them, you want to do more than just put holes in paper at 10m or you look at the CoO.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I would suggest you also look at the CZ200, a great little rifle, deadly accurate, and light. If you do not want to frustrate him then make sure the rifle you get him is better than his ability. Make sure any issues with accuracy are his and not the rifles.
    Last edited by GavinM; 21-06-19 at 20:41.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks Gavin, I have looked at the CZ200 option but the ones floating around are outside of the "3rd PCP rifle in the house" budget as it stands, awesome rifles though. I'll keep looking around for a suitable option for him, no rush.

Thanks again and take care.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Or seeing I'm investigating doing a custom S400 stock I may as well see if I can find a reasonable S400 for sale, that would be a possible option as I can practice doing a kiddies stock as well.

So if a stray S400 comes along at a sweet price......

I have all the other bits so the call is for a good S400 only.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi
    Don't mean to hjlack your thread but I have a BSA scorpion Cadet, Sporter 3P PCP rifle with scope and silincer that I want to sell, if that is something that will suit your needs PM me.
    Also a word of advice from experience, make sure your son likes shooting enough to justify the cash you spend on shooting gear for him, My 2 daughters each have a BSA R10 which they used for SFT no more than 8 times and both rifles are now closit queens which will also in the market soon. I could have spent the cash on a nice rifle for myself from the start.

Protea FT Team '16/'18
    National FT Champ '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours'15

User Info Menu

Cz200

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi

I have to go with Dale on this one and suggest an HW30s

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks Kuberboef, we spent this morning at Northcliffe Range with my son shooting with MikeB's HW30 he's so kindly allowed us to use, my son loved it and between him and my wife they had a great time with the HW30, awesome little rifle for sure.

Myself and my older son shot with our S400 and Hammerli AR20 and must say it's a ton of fun being able to have my sons and wife sharing time this way. On Saturday it was only myself and my eldest son and between the two of us we shot through a tin and a bit of JSB Exacts, windy but still good times.

So my youngest, with the help of my wife (The two have never been around a scope) managed to systematically calibrate the scope for 15m and by the end of the morning my son was shooting 25mm groupings in gusty conditions of a soft rolled up towel, you could not get the smile off his face!

Guess we are hooked!

Have a great evening everyone and thanks again for all the great advice and help, hugely appreciated!