Thread: FXA Impact-X Tuning for Slugs and Slug Liner

REP: T3Slugs

User Info Menu

Default FXA Impact-X Tuning for Slugs and Slug Liner

Hi All,

I recently got myself an FX Impact X with the STX Slug Liner in .22 cal. The goal is to shoot slugs accurately and use it for long range shooting (100+ meters). I got some NSA 23gr in .217 and .217 diameter. I shot them at 25m and got very nice groups on the .217 of about 10mm at 900fps. The .218 shot at slightly slower speed of 880fps with a slightly larger group of 15mm. This must be due to the slug fitting tighter in the barrel.

I followed the tuning video of Ernest Rowe at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K9uG2KOPt0&t=306s

This got me a mas fps for the 23gr .217 slugs of 900fps. The Airgun nut packaging of the slug states that best results can be achieved at 930fps, but I cant get any faster than 900 even with the hammer spring tension at max (adjusted with the allen key).

Has anyone else experimented with any other slugs with good results?
    Has anyone else managed to get a stronger replacement hammer spring and got a higher velocity out their FX Impact?

I also noticed that the gauges on the FX Impact X is not that accurate. The fill gauge on my dive bottle states 220bar yet the gauge on the impact shows 250bar. Has anyone else noticed this? I have ordered 2 new gauges from huma-air to hopefully solve this issue.

Is there anyone else in here that is on a journey of slug shooting or slug development? I would love to have a chat.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi,
    I'm on the same mission as you
    My setup is reg set @ 150bar, 600mm STX slug liner, 23gr NSA = 905fps ave
    I have decided to go back to pellets as the desired 930 was not achievable
    This I think is done by inserting a 700mm barrel
    The difference between a 500-600mm barrel was 75-100fps at the same setting
    Impact is laser accurate out to 100m with either 15.89gr or 18.13gr JSB's, I am not comfortable yet in going beyond 100m (3.5 mil dot holdover)
    Good luck
    J

User Info Menu

Thanx for your reply.

I have my hammer spring at max, valve stop at max and reg at 140bar. Getting 900fps. I tested the 18.13gr pellets out both the 600mm slug and pellet liner and they perform the same at 100m. Wind is a big issue at 100 as the pellet is all over the place. at 50m it is rock solid shooting through same hole.

I ordered a slug swage die from GMI Engineering. Waiting for it to arrive. Hoping I can swage my own slugs as the NSA slugs are just too expensive. Do you know of anyone else trying to do the same?

User Info Menu

Hi All,

I have great news. I finally received my new swage die from America and made some slugs this morning by swaging 25gr JSB monster pellets into slugs. Here they are:

After shooting 6 shots, without any tuning) i got this group at 25m.

So I am very happy with my FX with 700mm Slug liner.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

This is a great solution, as have been looking everywhere for slugs in SA.

Was it a mission to import the swage die?
    Last edited by Laverys; 09-07-19 at 08:48. Reason: spelling

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Tested at 25m? Any pcp with normal pellets would shoot that grouping......

User Info Menu

It was quite easy to import. They used FedEx so it came right to my door 2 days after shipping. It does take 10 days for manufacturing, but worth every cent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AYOBA! View Post
    Tested at 25m? Any pcp with normal pellets would shoot that grouping......
    Yes Pellets group extremely well at 25m, but not slugs. slugs are way more fussy, with barrel, choke, velocity.... Slugs really shine at 100m+. They have a much higher BC and buck the wind much better. To put it this way, at 100m with my 18gr JSB pellets sith a slight wind I had to hold off by 3.5mil. with the same weight in a slug, that hold off goes down to about 0.5 - 1mil. Slugs also retain they kenetic energy MUCH better. so its great for hunting pests.

Here is a pic of my 25 m group with some other slugs I tried using an MP mold.

Below a pic of my latest 25 m 5 shots with 25gr slugs made with the GMI Engineering swage die.

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Would like to try these in my Galahad....

User Info Menu

Ok, so here is the road so far.

I did allot of testing using the standard GMI Dies and got the results as posted above. When testing this at 100m, I could not get it to group well at all. So I asked GMI to make me a new die with the same specs as an NSA slug. the diameter is also .216 with a longer HP nose but still has a ridge where the base and the ogive meet. This die has been with Customs for 3 weeks now, so could not test it yet.

I also have been speaking to GMI Engineering and they will have a nice smooth ogive die ready for us by the end of the week. They are sending me their prototype to test and we will see how it goes from there.

As another solution, I have already paid for and ordered a Corbin Press and Die to make NSA Clone slugs. So waiting for that to arrive as well.

Once I have all these things, I will inform you of how they perform at 25m and 100m.

User Info Menu

Hi All,

I have GREAT NEWS!

I finally received my swage die kit to make NSA Clone slugs.

Going to shoot them today and post the results.

I have made Flat base slugs in 23gr, 26gr, 28gr, 30gr and Cup base slugs in 23gr, 26gr. Lets see how they do.

Last edited by Foennie; 08-10-19 at 09:34.

Cadet

User Info Menu

Hey, where did you buy it from?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Wow, those slugs look great. Please give us feedback on how they work,