Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCP Lubrication

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default PCP Lubrication

I'd like an idea of a list of suitable lubricants for air Rifles.
    I have looked through the forum but don't see anything like a short list. should there be one a link to that would be great. but as there no mention in the last year at least a revisit then.

My contribution to this is Rocol Dry Moly spray I used to on the outside of moving components IE the hammer, seems rather wear resistant which honestly was a surprise. ( rocol.co.za)

What I'm looking to get going here is a list of suitable lubricants for the various components. While in JHB for example its not hard to find quality products. Were not all in large cities or may need something on a Sunday afternoon when you only have a midas selling wynns's silicone spray, and honestly I don't think that's a good idea for seals but I'd actually like to know if its a option. and the aim not a discussion of this product but a general discussion of what people use and possibly to end up with a short list of things generally acceptable. maybe that can then be posted as a sticky should there be consensus of some of these at the end of what may be lively discussion.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I'm subscribed. My PCP's all sprung a leak.

Marksman

User Info Menu

1. Divers silicone grease (available from dive shops)
    2. Q8 Silicone spray.( most hardware shops)

Both do work with compressed air and O-rings but they are not a great lubricant for metal to metal contact in my oppinion.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I use Silicon paste. You buy it in a tube and because you use so little it lasts. I'm using the same tube I bought when I started archery back in the 1900's.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Allo all

Personally I am not a big fan of silicon, I prefer to use molly grease, especially on springer internals.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Molykote 111 compound (by Dow Corning). I've been using it for years on my PCP's The best and highest quality silicone greas available on the market. Be careful though, this stuff is pricey!

As for my springers, I use MoDi (No1) anti scuffing assembly paste. Clay based molybdenum grease, it's quite sticky so a super thin layer stays where you put it. This stuff works very well, wonderful stuff. (also a bit pricey)

But hey, you can't put a price on your loved one's!!

Last edited by madness; 19-06-19 at 19:58.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Lets first understand some lubrication basics.

Greases normally have a base oil, thickening agent and additives.
    The base oil can be petroleum, animal or vegetable based, all of which are potentially flammable. It can also be a partly organic fluid like silicone oil that is less flammable.
    The thickening agent can be fats, soaps (e.g. lithium soap), fine particles (e.g. silica fume)
    The additives will be something that imparts a special property like water-resistance, extreme pressure resistance, anti-corrosive etc. Moly (molybdenum disulphide) is a well known additive often added to a conventional bearing grease to impart better lubrication under high loads such in your car's CV joints.

So...now for airguns...

Compressed air at 200 bar has an oxygen partial pressure of about 40bar. Almost anything flammable (including your cotton t-shirt) can spontaneously catch fire in the presence of that - no ignition source needed. So any kind of oil or grease used on parts that can come into contact with the high pressure air in your airgun should not contain any petroleum, veg. or animal oils or fats. This is where silicone greases come in. They are also friendly to most types of rubber. Use them sparingly to help fit o-rings and to lubricate moving parts in your PCP that could see high pressure air. Maybe also the breech seal in your springer.

For parts that won't see high pressure air, such as triggers and cocking mechanisms, greases that give good lubrication and adhesion can be used. Moly greases are popular for this and for the parts of spring rifle powerplants that are not pressurised during the firing cycle. Moly greases are specifically good for lubricating parts in metal to metal contact at high loads

Remember that moly greases are mostly conventional bearing grease with moly added. This means they have about 60% to 80% petroleum base oil thickened with lithium soap and some moly added to improve lubrication under high mechanical load. Due to the base oil they can still be flammable and will cause dieselling in your springer if enough of it gets into the compression chamber. So use it very sparingly on your springer's piston seal. Silicone grease that's not too stiff might be better for this....I don't know for sure.
    You can get moly greases and pastes with a much higher moly content but make sure they are not so stiff that they will slow the mechanism down.
    Some airgun upgrade kits come with a little tub of moly paste...this is usually the high moly stuff ...but I don't know where you can buy it commercially in SA. I would try motor spares and engineering shops and look for stuff with a high moly content. It should be black or dark grey in colour.

I would like to see a silicone grease with moly additive...I don't know if anyone makes it this way but I'd think this would probably be ideal for air rifles.
    Last edited by JXV; 19-06-19 at 21:04.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I use a mixture of silicone grease and molybdenum disulphide powder to lube moving parts and threads on my PCP rifles.
    You can buy moly powder at gunshops, it is used to moly coat bullets. S&O normally has stock, it is expensive but a little goes a loooong way.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JXV View Post
    Lets first understand some lubrication basics.

Greases normally have a base oil, thickening agent and additives.
    The base oil can be petroleum, animal or vegetable based, all of which are potentially flammable. It can also be a partly organic fluid like silicone oil that is less flammable.
    The thickening agent can be fats, soaps (e.g. lithium soap), fine particles (e.g. silica fume)
    The additives will be something that imparts a special property like water-resistance, extreme pressure resistance, anti-corrosive etc. Moly (molybdenum disulphide) is a well known additive often added to a conventional bearing grease to impart better lubrication under high loads such in your car's CV joints.

So...now for airguns...

Compressed air at 200 bar has an oxygen partial pressure of about 40bar. Almost anything flammable (including your cotton t-shirt) can spontaneously catch fire in the presence of that - no ignition source needed. So any kind of oil or grease used on parts that can come into contact with the high pressure air in your airgun should not contain any petroleum, veg. or animal oils or fats. This is where silicone greases come in. They are also friendly to most types of rubber. Use them sparingly to help fit o-rings and to lubricate moving parts in your PCP that could see high pressure air. Maybe also the breech seal in your springer.

For parts that won't see high pressure air, such as triggers and cocking mechanisms, greases that give good lubrication and adhesion can be used. Moly greases are popular for this and for the parts of spring rifle powerplants that are not pressurised during the firing cycle. Moly greases are specifically good for lubricating parts in metal to metal contact at high loads

Remember that moly greases are mostly conventional bearing grease with moly added. This means they have about 60% to 80% petroleum base oil thickened with lithium soap and some moly added to improve lubrication under high mechanical load. Due to the base oil they can still be flammable and will cause dieselling in your springer if enough of it gets into the compression chamber. So use it very sparingly on your springer's piston seal. Silicone grease that's not too stiff might be better for this....I don't know for sure.
    You can get moly greases and pastes with a much higher moly content but make sure they are not so stiff that they will slow the mechanism down.
    Some airgun upgrade kits come with a little tub of moly paste...this is usually the high moly stuff ...but I don't know where you can buy it commercially in SA. I would try motor spares and engineering shops and look for stuff with a high moly content. It should be black or dark grey in colour.

I would like to see a silicone grease with moly additive...I don't know if anyone makes it this way but I'd think this would probably be ideal for air rifles.
    I would imagine Rocol would have an answer for the product that may be best suited should someone with the right questions ask them, which I'm not . They literally make the grease that lubricates the wheels on Boeing and Airbus. ( not joking its aerospec 400 ) and a foodsafe grease approved for use on the thrust nozzles of harrier jets ( I wish I could have made this up ) . rocol.co.za

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buksie View Post
    I use a mixture of silicone grease and molybdenum disulphide powder to lube moving parts and threads on my PCP rifles.
    You can buy moly powder at gunshops, it is used to moly coat bullets. S&O normally has stock, it is expensive but a little goes a loooong way.

A friend that reloads told me the use dry moly spray on the moulds before casting. But yes expensive R290 a can.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

thanks for the info! also subscribed... (mine dont leak yet but just in case )

can you tell me where I can find them ?
    I've check their website but cant find distributors.

http://www.molykote.co.za/Molykote-P...Compounds.html
    http://www.mo-di.co.za/products/mo-di-no-1

Prof. Jan Itor

User Info Menu

The Mo-Di can be ordered directly from them: Moly grease ~ Air Rifle SA Forums - Page 4

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I found molykote at a chemical supplier in "chemical park", here in Port Elizabeth many years ago. They do not exist anymore, but I recall I just called a few chemical and industrial suppliers and was led there to find it, I don't think it'll be to hard to do today.

Alternatively, try this....
    Last edited by madness; 25-06-19 at 01:24.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

got a small update.

Molykote : they do sell to public and they don't deliver, you need to arrange your own courier or collect it.
    Mo-Di : they don't sell to public, advised to visit AutoZone (they may order it for you if its out of stock)

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I think I dealt with a guy named Keith, he actually sent me 3 tubes of their No1 via postnet. You are correct, they dont sell to the public, he did me a favour, and was also trying to advertise the brand, cleaver old chap.