Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on first PCP Purchase

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Advice on first PCP Purchase

Hello All,

This is my first post. I know there are a gazillion threads about newbies and first purchases, but I have provided quite a bit of info regarding what I want and tend to use for. I have been browsing the forum for quite some time. I currently own a semi-modified Artemis CP1. It's time to enter the PCP arena and need advice.

What I want/need in a rifle/bullpup:

• Good power
    • 4.5 or 5.5 Have not decided yet
    • Bullpup or Carbine (looking for a compact gun)
    • Will mostly be used for target shooting/plinking
    • Must be accurate
    • Buget: Below R10 000 (am I asking too much for the price point?)
    • Must be able to quiet down for occasional backyard plinking

I used to go to the shooting range quite often, but it has become a very expensive hobby. The freedom and cost effectiveness that comes with air rifles attracted my attention. I always wanted to try my hand at precision shooting.

I have looked at the following:

• Artemis P15 Bullpup (don't like the fact that it is made in china and people report quite a few issues)
    • Kral Puncher Breaker (tend to get better reviews than P15 but also have few issues)
    • BSA Multishot Tactical

Please Help...

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Too small a budget

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Does your budget exclude the filling station and tank?

Anyway....

• Good power (Don't fall into this trap)
    • 4.5 or 5.5 Have not decided yet (4.5 all the way for a first gun - versatility)
    • Bullpup or Carbine (looking for a compact gun) YES!!!!
    • Will mostly be used for target shooting/plinking (You WILL get bored sitting doing the same thing day in...day out)
    • Must be accurate (Cheap hardly ever delivers this)
    • Buget: Below R10 000 (am I asking too much for the price point?) (Yes.... you need more money to be happy long-term)
    • Must be able to quiet down for occasional backyard plinking (Easy to achieve on a 12fpe rifle)

My advice to you would be to get hold of an S400 or a FS CZ on the secondhand market here. These rifles will be able to put a pellet through the same hole at 25m. Their accuracy also negates your need for 'POWER!'.

Buying 'cheap' usually ends in disappointment, because you 'may' end up with a lemon that requires more cash to get it to shoot accurately.

I own 2 of the earlier P12 bullpups and both needed barrel replacements (around R2500.00 for a good barrel these days, if you can find one locally).

Also, stick to 4.5 @ 12pfe. It allows you versatility to possibly expand your shooting horizons beyond plinking and shooting holes in paper from a seat. HFT and FT is AMAZING fun.

Hold off for 6 months and save a bit more. Resist South African desire for instant gratification... avoid buyer's remorse. Patience will make you happy.

Anyone disagree? No? Good!

The Blud has spoken!
    Last edited by Bludlust; 04-07-19 at 09:07.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Remember you'll need a method to fill the rifle with air. Whether using a handpump (with dryer) or scuba tank with filling control this is going to eat at least R3k to R4k of your budget.

You'll also most likely need a scope and the lowest cost for something that is not completely horrible runs about R1.5k excluding the mounting rings.

By comparison, a top quality springer with scope is doable within your R10k budget

Protea FT Team '16/'18
    National FT Champ '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours'15

User Info Menu

Hoe ver wil jy skiet, wat is akkuraat vir jou?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the input. By good power I meant capable of shooting 5.5 @ 850fps. I am aware of the worthless marketing hype around high power and lack of accuracy.

For now I will mostly be shooting at 25m backyard and max 50m warehouse or shooting range.

I would say acceptable accuracy at 50m - grouping of 50mm. Yes-no?

I thought about getting a hand pump for filling (free exercise ). Will I regret making this decision?

I'm not in a hurry to make my purchase and I'm open to buying secondhand. Would prefer buying from the forum as a trusted source. I have my CP1 to keep me entertained.

My budget excludes filling equipment and scope.

I will stick with 4.5mm.

Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

The 400 and CZ are capable of MOA accuracy at 50m in a warehouse with a competent shooter. 50mm is easy.

A pump will eventually kill you.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hand pumping is hard work and it is harder for the rifles that take a higher fill pressure.

For rifles that fill up to 200bar it is ok but higher pressures become really difficult and some pumps might not even get there.
    Important to have a filter and a drying cartridge on the pump inlet because you want to keep the air clean and condensation out of both the pump and your rifle. I know of a pump that is seized up most likely because of internal corrosion from water when it was used without a dryer.

For much the same money as a new handpump with dryer and spare cartridges you can probably get a scuba tank and fill station. 3 years ago my 300bar 6litre steel tank was R2700 incl VAT from Draeger and a fill station was another R1k. I can shoot about 1000 shots @ 24 ftlb on that and refills are not expensive where I usually go.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    A pump will eventually kill you.

If I may ask, what was your reasoning behind the P12 purchases?
    Last edited by FrannaM; 04-07-19 at 11:18.

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Get a LGV, PCP accuracy and your budget will have change.....

Quote Originally Posted by FrannaM View Post
    Thanks for all the input. By good power I meant capable of shooting 5.5 @ 850fps. I am aware of the worthless marketing hype around high power and lack of accuracy.

For now I will mostly be shooting at 25m backyard and max 50m warehouse or shooting range.

I would say acceptable accuracy at 50m - grouping of 50mm. Yes-no?

I thought about getting a hand pump for filling (free exercise ). Will I regret making this decision?

I'm not in a hurry to make my purchase and I'm open to buying secondhand. Would prefer buying from the forum as a trusted source. I have my CP1 to keep me entertained.

My budget excludes filling equipment and scope.

I will stick with 4.5mm.

Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

If I may ask, what was your reasoning behind the P12 purchases?

Because they are actually very good guns in terms of their simplicity. Also, I am a tinkerer and experimental by nature, so they were great platforms to play with.

My 5.5 is my go-to gun for hunting... nothing to go wrong in the field, and with a proper barrel, it's easy to shoot and hit where I need to every time.

Many guys developed theirs into 'keepers'.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Also, I am a tinkerer and experimental by nature
    I'm the same and really struggle to leave things stock standard. It has also caused many regrets. I had lots of fun with the CP1 and changed many things. It's an easy gun to work on which makes the Artemis P15 an attractive choice/project. The major difference is the price between the CP1 and P15 so can't afford to mess things up and will think twice before experimenting.

What are the main issues regarding the P12/P15?

Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I'm the same and really struggle to leave things stock standard. It has also caused many regrets. I had lots of fun with the CP1 and changed many things. It's an easy gun to work on which makes the Artemis P15 an attractive choice/project. The major difference is the price between the CP1 and P15 so can't afford to mess things up and will think twice before experimenting.

What are the main issues regarding the P12/P15?

Barrels, tolerances, spares, finishes....

Not all at once. Some are very good, some are very bad. if you are really lucky, you may get one with EVERYTHING good, but you will never get anything excellent.

With an AA S400 or CZ full stock, generally everything is very good to excellent... for relatively little extra money.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

With an AA S400 or CZ full stock, generally everything is very good to excellent... for relatively little extra money.
    Thanks. Who is the best to buy from regarding the 2 mentioned rifles?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Standby as on another group someone is selling a complete S400 in Multi Purpose Stock plus cylinder etc. Just waiting on a price for you.