Thread: Shoulder and bicep padding

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Shoulder and bicep padding

So I have looked into the shooting jacket thing and after lots of feedback and advice, most interestingly from Blud, I realized it's not an item I need right now. But now that I am getting a bit more comfy in my skin, or t-shirt, if that makes sense, I have picked up that the rifle butt picks up my shoulder and bicep heartbeat pulse quite a bit and that for the longer shots it's very pronounced. Now I know you cannot eliminate heartbeat pulse feedback all the time but it had me thinking that a shoulder over bicep clip-on, strap-on (whatever...) made from material similar to the hard skin with soft padding found on our shooting gloves would be ideal. This way I don't have to worry about a hot jacket and can vastly reduce the hearbeat feedback I'm seeing with just wearing a t-shirt through the rifle butt.

Practical and has anyone tried something like this?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Ian

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Try relaxing first.

heartbeat is transferred when you compress arteries, esp. in your hands.

Hold the rifle a bit lighter and see if that helps before going for workarounds.

Also, breathe! If your heart starts pounding due to lack of oxygen, that would create a 'pulse' everywhere!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks Blud. I'm not sure how to keep my bicep off the butt in dead man's, this is where I see most of the heartbeat issue for now, hence me trying to find a way to not have the heartbeat transfer.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ravenflight View Post
    Thanks Blud. I'm not sure how to keep my bicep off the butt in dead man's, this is where I see most of the heartbeat issue for now, hence me trying to find a way to not have the heartbeat transfer.
    Simple.

Use a proper FT stance instead of the ridiculous 'deadman' position.

There is a reason that the majority of the highly successful top FT shooters across the world don't use the so called 'deadman' position, that reason being it is a shite position.

Here is a good FT position:

The position is basically stable, does not restrict breathing and is adaptable to a wide variety of target positions.

Here is another shooter using the same basic position but using an outfit similar to yours:

He is relaxed and stable and can more easily deal with pulse as he is not contorting himself into some weird assed position.
    Last edited by Dale; 17-07-19 at 07:20.

Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Simple.

Use a proper FT stance instead of the ridiculous 'deadman' position.

There is a reason that the majority of the highly successful top FT shooters across the world don't use the so called 'deadman' position, that reason being it is a shite position.

Here is a good FT position:

The position is basically stable, does not restrict breathing and is adaptable to a wide variety of target positions.

Here is another shooter using the same basic position but using an outfit similar to yours:

He is relaxed and stable and can more easily deal with pulse as he is not contorting himself into some weird assed position.

I must say, I have to agree with Dale here.

While I do use an adaptation of deadman's, being able to shoot (in my case, reasonably) accurately in numerous positions allows one much freedom.

That's the one rule I have an issue with.... where the target MUST be visible from ALL shooting positions. They should make the sitting position the 'standard', and work the rules around that. Anyone who wants to look like they are licking their nuts, or (gasp) shoot prone must accept the 'rub of the green' so-to-speak, whatever it may be.

Deadman's is stable, but I get a pulse from my legs. I have adapted it into a combination of standard comfort and ball-licking contortion.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Here is a video of the 2017 FT World Championships in Wales:

Note the positions used by the vast majority of shooters, this hasn't dominated because it isn't the best basic sitting style.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    I must say, I have to agree with Dale here.

While I do use an adaptation of deadman's, being able to shoot (in my case, reasonably) accurately in numerous positions allows one much freedom.

That's the one rule I have an issue with.... where the target MUST be visible from ALL shooting positions. They should make the sitting position the 'standard', and work the rules around that. Anyone who wants to look like they are licking their nuts, or (gasp) shoot prone must accept the 'rub of the green' so-to-speak, whatever it may be.

Deadman's is stable, but I get a pulse from my legs. I have adapted it into a combination of standard comfort and ball-licking contortion.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Mr Ravenflight,

Methinks you are overthinking this sport at this stage. Go out and shoot. The finer details will only start to matter once you are very comfortable in your position and repeatability of that position. Its a learning curve that you will need to follow. Each league is going to get better and better.

Keep on practising.

Mike

Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrews View Post
    Mr Ravenflight,

Methinks you are overthinking this sport at this stage. Go out and shoot. The finer details will only start to matter once you are very comfortable in your position and repeatability of that position. Its a learning curve that you will need to follow. Each league is going to get better and better.

Keep on practising.

Mike

WHAT HE SAID!!!!

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Agreed.

Over a lot of years I have come to believe that too many people fall into a trap of thinking that high tech, lots of gizmo's and the oddball shite will somehow buy them an advantage in FT.

WRONG!

As long as you have an accurate rifle that you can adapt to your needs (this doesn't necessarily mean adjustable everything), a reliable range finding and dialling scope and a batch of quality pellets - these are the fundamentals of the kit you need.

In terms of useful bits of add on kit, I would consider the following to be the most beneficial.

A good bum-bag to make sitting comfortable and offering a bit of lower back support.

A spirit level on the rifle - canting is a killer and judging what is upright under field conditions can be near on impossible.

I also favour a shooting glove as this reduces pulse effect from your hand and makes supporting the rifle more comfortable.

A decent pellet pouch that prevents valuable pellets ending up all over the ground.

Learning how to use this equipment is the next absolute essential, skill is worth more than all the extra BS accessories that FT shooters have embraced.

All the other gizmo's are 'go faster' stripes or eye candy.
    Last edited by Dale; 17-07-19 at 11:08.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback everyone, all valuable input and noted. Mike the overthinking part is not something you simply switch off but the shooting and practice part is already being worked on.

Kind regards,

Ian

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ravenflight View Post
    the overthinking part is not something you simply switch off
    Ian,

I would disagree with this, you need to concentrate on learning to hit each target, not worrying about whether someone else is going to shoot better than you because they have x,y or z bit of kit that differs from yours.

Learn to use what you have got to maximum effectiveness.

At this stage in the game with the kit you have currently invested in you are not going to outperform its capabilities, in fact that will probably never happen - now don't take that as a slur on your ability because it is not, it is a simple acknowledgement that decent quality equipment will always outperform the squidgy mass of organic matter that is operating it, no matter who they are.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks Dale, maybe you read my answer differently to what I wanted to bring across...

To me the overthinking part has nothing to do with how well others are shooting but more based on the fact that by definition I am a technical person and I naturally look at things maybe a tad too intense, for lack of a better word.

My aim, excuse the pun, is to work on improving what I do and learning as much from the chaps who have been there and done that, if I seem to ask too many "dumb" questions it's simply a case of maybe being a tad overly enthusiastic but let me have that pleasure as it's part of the journey after all. Trust me every target is an opportunity to learn and adapt, if my shooting partner helps with advice or points out better ways to shoot I am even more grateful, I can use all the help I can get at this stage.

In saying this I am taking in everything you guys are saying and appreciate all the positive advice and feedback.
    Last edited by ravenflight; 18-07-19 at 08:10.