Thread: Recommended Mag Range for 40 - 100 m Target and PC

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Recommended Mag Range for 40 - 100 m Target and PC

I'm looking to get a scope for work at 40 m to 100 m range, for precision target and theoretically PC.

What sort of magnification range should I be looking at?

I would also appreciate recommendations of specific scopes for a sub 10k budget.

Thanks.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Hi Saito,
    Very interesting request. There are a whole bunch of variables in your request.
    1. What calibre Rifle? Out to 100m I would think you are looking at a 5.5mm 30 Ft Lb PCP
    2. There are a number of scopes that will fit your requirement. I would suggest that you go to your closest Arms Vendor and have a look through a number of scopes. I am biased with my Sightron III 10x42 on my 5.5mm Krieket. 100m no problem.
    Last edited by MikeBrews; 17-07-19 at 21:05.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thank you.

Yep, forgot to say that (format is 30 ft-lb PCP in .22).

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Ok so .22 and 30ft.lb or thereabouts. It will reach 100m.
    But when it comes to scope magnification the more important question is what size of target?

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

You will get a whole variety of answers, each will have their own preferences and reasons for them.
    Personally I like plenty magnification, so I would say 24x as the minimum, maybe even up to 32x with a fine crosshair. (some like the Discovery and Gamo's are not terrible scopes for their price bracket, but I find the crosshairs a bit thick)
    The down side with higher magnification is that you can loose clarity, especially on the budget type scopes, so spend as much as you can on better quality and you will not regret it in the long run. Sightrons are very nice, but I'm not sure what their current pricing is like.
    The other downside to higher magnifications, is they are more 'sensitive' to range, so you can be fiddling with the focus a lot more than you want to.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I use a 6-24 scope. For theoretical PC I like x16 mag, up to 100m.. for longer shots x24 mag. For me, if you don't have a lot of time setting up the shot and use holdover, 16x is more forgiving when it comes to parralax. I don't always have time to get the focus just right. On the other hand, if your targets are stationary, and you have time to setup and dial in, and a stable rest, as big as possible magnification..
    I always like to buy a scope with bigger magnification than what I intend to use, especially if my budget is smaller, ie. If I want to shoot at 18x, buy 6-24. Want to shoot at x12, buy 4-16.. Some budget scopes becomes milky at max magnification..

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I've got a 4.5 to 30 scope on my .22 LR rifle. I have shot maybe a max of 15 shots above 10x. 98% of my shooting is done at just 6x which I find perfectly adequate for me up to 100 meters. For precition target work the more magnification you have the better I suppose. I just know Ive never shot at a rock pigeon at over 6x, no matter the distance. And not even one have gotten away

Protea FT Team '18
    REP: MB 3D Printing Services
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

My 2c,

I have a 4.5 - 14 on my .22 pulsar. I have found the value in quick enganging time if I may say it that way.

4.5 or 6 or 8 for "closish" stuff upto 60m, beyond I stay at 10 , if I have time and a good rest I would go up a bit more.

I have spent about 1.5 years with a 4x42 mildot on my 18fpe s400 easily working out to 65m , thus I have fallen in love with low mag and high field of view.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

For a budget of 10k you might be able to get a second hand Big Nikko (x50) Green turrets.

When I did all my shooting ....., with milldots, at 28fpe +, knowing your trajectory, this scope was deadly for plinking.

They are big though ............

I always believed in getting more mag than I needed .........