Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brocock Compatto and Pellet choice questions

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Brocock Compatto and Pellet choice questions

Hi airgunners,

I've got an unregulated Compatto in .177. I haven't been shooting it much yet, and have only had the chance to shoot a couple hundred shots of JSB 10.34 to zero the rifle, establish shot count and basic speeds.

First question for anyone who knows the compatto: My rifle has 4 power settings (not three as advertised in any review I've seen). Is this normal? For interest they are as follows (in order of position top to bottom:
    - 18ft/lbs (886fps)
    - 19ft/lbs (911fps)
    - 17.5ft/lbs (872fps)
    - 14.5ft/lbs (801fps.

My shooting is mostly vermin and plinking, from 25 - 50m, so flat is what i am looking for. With the 10.34gr JSBs, I get nice tight groups at 25m @14.5ft/lbs, but with a bad BC, they fall off a lot at 50m. The lighter 8.44s will be even worse. Pushing them to full power thought starts them out too close to 900fps, which the consensus seems to be is too fast to be stable...

So I am wondering if anyone has had luck with a heavy, better BC pellet (such as 10.4gr H&N Baracuda Power) doing roughly 870fps? This would be at about 17.5ft/lbs in my rifle.

Keen to hear you thoughts on power / pellet choice.

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I have one as well, but regulated and tuned by Jaco. I now get 75 shots to a fill. I use H&N FTT 8.64gr and the groups at 50m is awesome.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks for this. What speeds are you getting from the H&N FTT 8.64gr at what power, and what is the regulated energy like on different power settings?

And who / where is Jaco?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I suspect your 'top' power setting may just be the dial turning beyond the max power detent and slightly closing the max power transfer port, causing the subtle loss of power.

I'm also pretty sure the jsb 10g pellet has a better bc than the equivalent H&N baracuda.

You're never going to get much in the way of a 'flat' trajectory with an airgun I'm afraid.

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Hi, Jaco is in Centurion, search Xtreme Airguns. If memory serves, on max setting it was on 806fps , not sure what it is on the other settings, never had the need as all my targets are 50m plus.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndThunder View Post
    Thanks for this. What speeds are you getting from the H&N FTT 8.64gr at what power, and what is the regulated energy like on different power settings?

And who / where is Jaco?

Marksman

User Info Menu

As far as i can ascertain from online tests (i haven't calculated them yet) the JSB 10.34gr has a BC of .014, while the H&N Baracuda Power (10.64) is .02. They would have me believe that the speed difference at 50 metres is almost 90fps higher for the Baracuda!

Marksman

User Info Menu

oh ok, yes i think i've met him.

That shot count and speed suggest you are heavily regulated, down from 19/20 ftlbs to about 12.5! The FTTs seem to have a relatively good BC though which would go some way to prevent velocity loss.

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

More than enough for what I shoot....and the casualties don't lie....

oh ok, yes i think i've met him.

That shot count and speed suggest you are heavily regulated, down from 19/20 ftlbs to about 12.5! The FTTs seem to have a relatively good BC though which would go some way to prevent velocity loss.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

As far as i can ascertain from online tests (i haven't calculated them yet) the JSB 10.34gr has a BC of .014, while the H&N Baracuda Power (10.64) is .02. They would have me believe that the speed difference at 50 metres is almost 90fps higher for the Baracuda!
    Chairgun (and HAM) lists the baracuda pretty much as you say, with the jsb at 0.031 or so. I've never seen them listed as 0.014
    The last time I had a gun that preferred them I measured the bc slightly higher than that at our (joburg) altitude. If I get a chance I'll shoot some of both and measure for comparison sake. Won't be terribly soon though- with my work hours and the early dark of winter it's not easy to get the chrony to read by the time I get to do any shooting.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Stick with the most accurate pellet in your rifle, and invest in a rangefinder. Then bc etc does not matter at all.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TwentyCal View Post
    Stick with the most accurate pellet in your rifle, and invest in a rangefinder. Then bc etc does not matter at all.
    this is true, although there are a lot of possible choices, and i'm trying to limit the time to find a good starting point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Macros View Post
    Chairgun (and HAM) lists the baracuda pretty much as you say, with the jsb at 0.031 or so. I've never seen them listed as 0.014
    The last time I had a gun that preferred them I measured the bc slightly higher than that at our (joburg) altitude. If I get a chance I'll shoot some of both and measure for comparison sake. Won't be terribly soon though- with my work hours and the early dark of winter it's not easy to get the chrony to read by the time I get to do any shooting.
    thank you. this would be very interesting to see.

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I did a search and found most guys reporting H&N FTT 8.64gr works good, tested it on my rifle and that's all I am using....

[QUOTE=SmokeAndThunder;643619]this is true, although there are a lot of possible choices, and i'm trying to limit the time to find a good starting point.

- - - Updated - - -

Marksman

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=AYOBA!;643620]I did a search and found most guys reporting H&N FTT 8.64gr works good, tested it on my rifle and that's all I am using....

this is true, although there are a lot of possible choices, and i'm trying to limit the time to find a good starting point.

- - - Updated - - -
    I do get that impression as well. I'm just aware that a lot of those guys are using it fro 25m target, and hence arn't too worried about trajectory and shooting off bench at varied distances. I'd really like to try the 13.4 gr JSBs, and the H&N 10.65 and then make a call. Bring on Saturday!

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Only two pellets I would use, H&N and JSB, maybe AA.............

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AYOBA! View Post
    Only two pellets I would use, H&N and JSB, maybe AA.............
    Ok, so here is a fairly sad update.

JSB Exact Heavy - 10.34gr - Shoot well, and cycle all day long.
    JSB Exact Monster 13.43 - just tried a couple and seem to cycle fine, but only have a test box so saving the rest for the range. (I think this could be a great weight).

However... JSB Exact 8.44gr (the most recommended for target for this rifle), JSB Beast 16.20, H&N Baracuda Magnum 16.36, and H&N Baracuda Green 6.36gr DONT CYCLE AT ALL nicely in my rifle. the 8.44 JSBs dont even leave the magazine without getting crimped, the rest go in, but with way too much effort for my liking...

All except the JSB Monster (which cycled fine, at 4.52mm) were 4.50mm.

I'll be testing some BCs of the 10.34 and 13.43 JSBs tomorrow. I'm really hoping the latter performs well as this could be a great compromise between accuracy and stability, range etc. I'll let you know the result.